News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
toronto.
toronto.jpg

Has Mitzie Hunter already resigned from her MPP seat?
I don't see removing her candidacy if she's already losing her MPP seat.

I believe Hunter has already resigned her MPP seat.

As to why Hunter is running? I suspect she knows she's an underdog, but sees a mayoral campaign as a decent springboard out of politics. If she stayed an MPP, she would probably sit in the opposition benches for another 7 years (barring a huge OLP resurgence in 2026). A mayoral campaign is a great way to make connections, bolster your resume and build your profile. Hunter has private sector experience and will probably make more money outside of the Ontario Legislature than inside it.

She might also be eyeing the super safe Scarborough Guildwood federal Liberal seat. The incumbent, MP John McKay, is 75.

Last edited:
Unlike the Island Airport, the next Mayor will have no power to do anything about the Provinces plans.
Next Provincial election is 2026. I'm predicting Liberals will get elected in and do a big change up on the Conservative plans...they won't be able to reverse signed contracts for the Spa, but back under review Ontario Place will go...
(& a side note, I'm supposed to predict NDP...but I have to keep an open realistic mind also)

And it's really about the emotional place OP *and* OSC occupy in *masses* of Torontonians, well beyond said community-groups/vested-interests (as borne out in such things as major-media person-on-the-street interviews)--and what's more, about how said "emotional place" is eminently exploitable on the campaign trail.
I suppose this is a cultural divide? The idea that OP holds an emotional place in people is alien to me. I'm from Hamilton, not Toronto, though I've lived here since 2005. I apparently did go to OP as a child, though have no recollection of it. I don't care about it at all.

I suspect there is an even larger group of *masses* of Torontonians beyond me who have never been to OP, do not even know what it is or was, couldn't locate it on the map of the City, and wouldn't care if it was completely demolished tomorrow.

Next Provincial election is 2026. I'm predicting Liberals will get elected in and do a big change up on the Conservative plans...they won't be able to reverse signed contracts for the Spa, but back under review Ontario Place will go...
(& a side note, I'm supposed to predict NDP...but I have to keep an open realistic mind also)
I don't see how the Liberals will be voted back into government in 2026. The more realistic path for the Liberals (depending on who is elected leader) is to knock out the NDP from being the official opposition and the Tories are reduced to a minority government. Given how lackluster of an NDP leader Marit Stiles has been, the Grits can rise up with a better leader, a move to the middle and good messaging.

At this point in time, I don't see the Tories taking a back seat until maybe 2028. By then the Ontario Place will be completely redesigned and likely doing very well.

I don't see how the Liberals will be voted back into government in 2026. The more realistic path for the Liberals (depending on who is elected leader) is to knock out the NDP from being the official opposition and the Tories are reduced to a minority government. Given how lackluster of an NDP leader Marit Stiles has been, the Grits can rise up with a better leader, a move to the middle and good messaging.
The NDP leader doesn't seem lackluster to me, but I do agree that the right Liberal leader can tear out NDP seats in a heartbeat, along with several Conservative seats...you might be right about a minority government, even so...

I suppose this is a cultural divide? The idea that OP holds an emotional place in people is alien to me. I'm from Hamilton, not Toronto, though I've lived here since 2005. I apparently did go to OP as a child, though have no recollection of it. I don't care about it at all.

I suspect there is an even larger group of *masses* of Torontonians beyond me who have never been to OP, do not even know what it is or was, couldn't locate it on the map of the City, and wouldn't care if it was completely demolished tomorrow.
Ya, I grew up in NWOntario, but still went to Ontario Place as a kid at least once so I'm told. But I have zero recollection of it. The science center I have more memories of, as I visited it as a teen when the Pope visited and I snuck away from our church group to visit it, and the Hooters downtown.

Penalosa announces he's not running, endorses Chow.
...and this is what I expect would happen. Too many people running. Find someone with similar viewpoints. Drop out and back that person.
It's not a shoe in, but it is a better chance of getting elected.
The right wingers need to start merging now, if someone on that side is willing to drop out and back someone they like...

I'm getting a feeling this election might just come down to Olivia Chow vs Ana Bailao vs Mark Saunders. If Josh Matlow drops out, he would back Chow. If Brad Bradford walks away, I see him endorsing Bailao. Mitzie Hunter, who is kind of running in empty, should walk away yet I don't see her endorsing anyone.

For those without access to The Star, from link...

Gil Penalosa, runner-up in fall election, not running for Toronto mayor

Gil Penalosa is not running for mayor.

The urbanist and runner-up in last year’s mayoral election is instead endorsing Olivia Chow, calling for progressives to unite behind her “because she has committed that we not only need to solve the housing crisis but that we need to create a city for everyone.”

Penalosa, the Colombian-born founder of non-profit 8 80 Cities, has said he joined the 2022 race because he did not see another high-profile progressive candidate step up to run against John Tory.

He spent much of his previous campaign advocating for public spaces, for affordable housing, for an equitable city and opposing the province’s plan for a private spa in Ontario Place.

He said Wednesday that while he shares much in common with Coun. Josh Matlow, who is running for mayor as a “pragmatic progressive,” Penalosa said he believes Chow “is a better team-builder, she brings more people on board” at this time.

He denied that his decision was influenced by his previous campaign team dispersing to other candidates this time around.

In making the announcement, Penalosa was joined by former city councillor and current NDP MPP Kristyn Wong-Tam who endorsed Penalosa in the last mayoral election, but this time is supporting Chow.

Chow is “the person that has the most experience, that has a proven track record at many different levels of government, who knows the inner workings of city hall and can actually start to solve the issues that are before us today,” Wong-Tam said.

In a statement, Chow said she is grateful for the support of both Penalosa and Wong-Tam.

More than 40 people have signed up to run for mayor. Among the most high profile are former councillor Ana Bailão, current councillor Brad Bradford, former Toronto police chief Mark Saunders, and MPP Mitzie Hunter.

Cross posting from the Ontario Place thread. I came across this comment on Reddit, but take it as a grain of salt:

It's not falling apart. There's structural cracks in the supports for the main bridge (that's the bridge which goes from the entry building to the lower exhibit buildings). The problem is the bridge supports are built on Toronto Region Conservation Authority land (greenspace). There's no road to bring in machinery to fix the supports, and the Science Centre can't cut down trees to build a road because the valley is TRCA regulated. So visitors are being bussed from the main building down to the lower exhibits. The buildings are ok. They're old and need repair like any old building. And some of the exhibits need to be refreshed. The main building and parking lots on the west side of Don Mills Road are not on TRCA land. Doug may be talking about this land, or he may be trying to get access for his developer buddies to build down in the valley, on more greenspace. And I highly doubt that any new housing built in that area will be for low income or RGI. Just look at the cost of the units on the old Celestica site on the north-west corner of Don Mills & Eglinton.

Back