News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quito says a lot of things; some merit greater weighting than others.......... šŸ¤”
šŸ¤”
I doubt he would put his reputation on the line. If Mainstreetā€™s current polling data is incorrect, that will be shown on June 26th if Olivia Chow wins big and Ana Bailao barely makes a dent. Heā€™ll have to admit his company got this really wrong. Or if the data continues to show Bailao has some growing momentum whereas other polling organizations donā€™t, if Bailao wins this race then Mainstreet will be looked at as the company who got this completely right, much like how they got the 2015 federal election right. They were the only polling company which correctly predicted a Liberal majority.

I doubt he would put his reputation on the line. If Mainstreetā€™s current polling data is incorrect, that will be shown on June 26th if Olivia Chow wins big and Ana Bailao barely makes a dent. Heā€™ll have to admit his company got this really wrong. Or if the data continues to show Bailao has some growing momentum whereas other polling organizations donā€™t, if Bailao wins this race then Mainstreet will be looked at as the company who got this completely right, much like how they got the 2015 federal election right. They were the only polling company which correctly predicted a Liberal majority.
Still, the "legal jeopardy" part is weird.

Donā€™t know if it has been mentioned yet here but one of the candidates floated an idea to redone all ground level units on main streets to live/work units. Great idea!

Donā€™t know if it has been mentioned yet here but one of the candidates floated an idea to redone all ground level units on main streets to live/work units. Great idea!
I think youā€™ll find very few wanting those units in the downtown area unless the mental health/homelessness issue gets proper attention, funding and resources.

There are areas of this city which have broken/smashed windows on a weekly basis. The Church/Wellesley village sees a lot of vandalism, even in high-trafficked areas. The owner of Dudleyā€™s Hardware is replacing a smashed window seemingly once a month. Mailboxes have been removed after being repeatedly tipped, broken into or vandalized.

Not living on ground floor immediately gives some security by default. And frankly, I donā€™t see opening up ground level units actually adding that much to the housing pool.

Screenshot_20230520-234018.png

New Forum poll.

Forum calls the lead "untouchable," which means I'm bookmarking the article for a possible "Dewey beats Truman" moment.

34% - Chow
12% - Matlow
12% - Saunders
10% - Hunter
9% - Bailao
7% - Bradford
15% - Other

Last edited:
No doubt Bailaoā€™s team wants John Toryā€™s endorsement.
Absolutely, but how desperate is it from the campaign to try and get the rub publicly, without an explicit endorsement? She's a savvy operator, but without an issue to campaign on she's struggling to be relevant.

Like I said before, if he endorses one, he basically kills his relationship with 2 others (Mitzie/Bradford). His influence is

New Forum poll.

Forum calls the lead "untouchable," which means I'm bookmarking the article for a possible "Dewey beats Truman" moment.

34% - Chow
12% - Matlow
12% - Saunders
10% - Hunter
9% - Bailao
7% - Bradford
15% - Other

'Untouchable' is a poor turn of phrase in the best of times...........when your candidate has a plurality, but is far short of a majority..............it may well turn out to be true, but it seems a tad premature.

And we are putting retail on the 10th floor now? (stupidest. idea. ever.)

I lived in a building with live/work units. Not sure what the goal would be to make this city wide, but it does nothing for local vibrancy or even interest. Many of our units werenā€™t actually lived in and were office space for realtors and the occasional lawyer. One was a front for a drug dealer that the police ended up breaking into with a bartering ram. That was fun.

Bailao released more of her housing platform:

As Mayor, Ana will lead a Mayorā€™s initiative to incentivize intensification, including ā€œmissing middleā€ housing of medium scale that meets needs between condos and single-family homes. To accomplish this she will champion planning, zoning, and land use reforms including:
  • Legalizing walk-up apartments on secondary transit routes across Toronto;
  • Upzoning avenues to be ā€œas of rightā€ for 8 to 12 storeys;
  • Relaxing ā€œShadow Guidelinesā€ which have, for too long, arbitrarily increased the cost of building in Toronto, and reduced the number of units that could be built;
  • Introduce ā€œRental Zoningā€ to ensure that there are sites zoned exclusively for rental;
  • Prioritize approvals for development applications that include rental homes; and
  • Reduce office replacement requirements when buildings are demolished or converted in exchange for affordable housing.

Back