News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Unfortunately, Rufus8's ramblings likely presage the sort of racist and misogynistic attacks that Chow will face if she becomes mayor (and at this point, it seems pretty likely).
I think it's par for the course with any visible minority in politics; certainly not a first for Chow.

Nine (!) years ago, Chow made the following statement about the Sun running a blatantly racist cartoon in their paper:

“Because I am Chinese-Canadian, I must be a communist and have slanted eyes and glasses … and since I am a woman, I must be inferior and therefore not good enough for the job of the mayor so I must rely on my deceased husband. So it is both racist and sexist.”

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Except the politics of the last nine years has empowered even more overt racism and misogyny.

since some posters have not realized there is some question about Chinese government jockeying for influence in Canada, let me say that again the CHINESE government, not the Peruvian government, not the Swedish goverment the CHINESE government. That's why when you see campaign signs in languages other than English and French it is a sign of EXCLUSION, not inclusion. Consider the source, a common English saying, is very apt for where we are. We need to be aware of online conversations that want to divert to other issues or indeed want to devalue the rights of Canadians to have/express opinions other than their own. I do NOT see Chow as a competent capable innovative administrator and in fact am very suspicious of her motives. I didn't see Trump as a well balance, stable leader and yet he was elected! So there you go!
Your posts have been highly entertaining over dinner at my place. We need the comic relief these days. Wondering this: did you misspell your name?

I don
not sure if you are aware but China regards HK as it's territory even tho it was only handed back in 1997. No ignorance here comrade. Just toronto born, bred and proud.
What are you implying? Since Chow was born in Hong Kong that she's some sort of mole or sleeper agent for the PRC? We're getting close to International Jewry now, where we assume someone's ethnicity links them to a global conspiracy, where one's loyalties to their country must be questioned due to their origins or background. What loyalty test do you suggest Chow take to prove she's free of Beijing's tentacles?

Last edited:
What are you implying? Since Chow was born in Hong Kong that she's some sort of mole or sleeper agent for the PRC? We're getting close to International Jewry now, where we assume someone's ethnicity links them to a global conspiracy, where one's loyalties to their country must be questioned due to their origins or background. What loyalty test do you suggest Chow take to prove she's free of Beijing's tentacles?

It's redolent of the kind of racism that lead to the disenfranchisement and internment of the Japanese-Canadian community, for one.

AoD

t
Unfortunately, Rufus8's ramblings likely presage the sort of racist and misogynistic attacks that Chow will face if she becomes mayor (and at this point, it seems pretty likely).

I concur.......with one added statement though; I think its important to remain open to the idea that any candidate can be constructively criticized, and the fact they may have faced such attacks does not mean that all critiques should be so labelled.

I am not suggesting you implied that, I merely think its important to say.

I don't think there's any real question that the comments on which you are passing judgement can be rightly characterized as inappropriate, ill-founded, unfair, and unacceptable. (a rather reserved description)

I would further add; I think its important, notwithstanding ongoing ignorance by some (indeed too many) that I think the majority here (Toronto) are in a much better place on these things than in decades past, and we're fortunate
that this is not as commonplace or as vulgar as it once was.....

But that we must still address such nonsense at this point is beyond ridiculous and offensive.

I don

Since its been proven we've had Chinese election interference, and since Chow is NDP, you can bet CSIS are keeping an eye on her.

Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but we have to protect our democratic election process

Last edited:
Funny you didn’t mention this case then:

Also I am not at all sure where the claim she ran as a Liberal came from.

AoD

Last edited:
Funny you didn’t mention this case then:

AoD
Perfect example of CSIS doing their job!

And why didnt we mention the Ken Fe case?? Because Ken isnt running for Toronto mayor

Perfect example of CSIS doing their job!

And why didnt we mention the Ken Fe case?? Because Ken isnt running for Toronto mayor

Well, and Olivia Chow isn’t the one getting visits from CSIS either, so your point being? Merely being Chinese - irrespective of context - should translate into CSIS surveillance in the name of “protecting democracy”?

AoD

Back