News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
... Bike lanes shuld be relegated to side streeets.
... Cyclists need to get places, because that’s what cycling is for. Sometimes that requires major roads rather than side streets that go nowhere...
I'm not sure why something that obvious should need to be explained, but yes, the major streets are the ones that go across things like rail corridors, river valleys, and creek ravines. Most side/residential streets don't, making the notion of putting bike lanes there quite silly.

You sound like a bigot.

Ignorant bigot. If an investor landlord owns an apartment building that cannot be sold off as individual units, who exactly is he hoarding the building from?

Ad hominem attacks are lame.

"Everyone who takes issue with me is a bigot! Wah!"

And coming home from work today and seeing this thread derailed by several pages of argument with you--y'know, I wouldn't be surprised if you follow Fresco in the temporary-vacation realm sooner rather than later...

New Mainstreet poll has Bailao gaining traction. It was conducted yesterday, after Tory's endorsement.

Chow - 30%
Bailao - 22%
Furey - 13%
Saunders - 12%
Matlow - 9%
Hunter - 5%
Brown - 2%
Bradford - 2%

Also a new poll from Viewpoints. I'm unsure if it was polled before or after the Tory endorsement.

Chow - 35%
Saunders - 16%
Bailao - 12%
Furey - 10%
Matlow - 10%
Bradford - 8%
Hunter - 6%

New Mainstreet poll has Bailao gaining traction. It was conducted yesterday, after Tory's endorsement.

Chow - 30%
Bailao - 22%
Furey - 13%
Saunders - 12%
Matlow - 9%
Hunter - 5%
Brown - 2%
Bradford - 2%

Mainstreet is always the outlier to the high side for Bailao; we'll have to see how accurate they are/were. But their numbers have tended to run about 8 points higher for her than the field consensus.

Which would suggest a number closer to 14%

Also a new poll from Viewpoints. I'm unsure if it was polled before or after the Tory endorsement.

Chow - 35%
Saunders - 16%
Bailao - 12%
Furey - 10%
Matlow - 10%
Bradford - 8%
Hunter - 6%

Before, they were in the field June 19th.

Last edited:

Not sure how much Tory's endorsement of Bailão would take away from Chow, rather than take from Saunders or Furey.

Chow is such a well known person in this city that those decided enough to declare a vote for her are probably aware of where she sits on the political spectrum relative to Tory.

I'm not so sure their Venn circles for Chow and Bailão do much overlapping.

If there is overlap, those aware of only the progressive past actions of Bailão may now be thinking twice.

Not sure how much Tory's endorsement of Bailão would take away from Chow, rather than take from Saunders or Furey.

Chow is such a well known person in this city that those decided enough to declare a vote for her are probably aware of where she sits on the political spectrum relative to Tory.

If there is overlap, those aware of only the progressive past actions of Bailão may now be thinking twice.
As discussed in this Urbanist Agenda podcast episode (NotJustBikes&RMTransit), the overlap is such that some progressives might vote for Bailão to prevent Saunders or Furey from winning. However, if Bailão is truly in second place behind Chow, that motivation disappears.

So let's try and make this make sense:

Our former mayor who decided to resign, and thus a by-election has been called to replace him has decided to endorse his replacement. Then on top of that, has started robocalling to support his replacement. Seems pretty clear to me that he has no ethics, and his moral compass is pretty much non-existent.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me thrilled that he resigned in shame and indignity. Notwithstanding how he left this city in a state of financial and infrastructure ruin.

And the sad thing about it is, if someone did a poll with John Tory running as a candidate in this election, he'd still probably win again which shows how screwed up this city is. Now if Ana Bailao gets a significant bump between now and the election, we'll know that many voters havent learned a damn thing because they'll just be voting for Bailao because "John Tory said so".

I took a trip on the Islington bus this morning, and the campaign signs were out in full force on those little strips of public land between the sidewalk and the road, the most signs I've seen for this election thus far. I've always found that sort of thing to be a tad pathetic; its not like their placement there shows any real support, unlike, say, the signs on the front yard of a property. Gong, whose name inevitably reminds me of Chuck Barris, was the biggest contributor to this phenomenon by far. Or should I say worst offender? His crap was everywhere! A couple of the other no-names and cranks had their signs up as well, though nowhere near to the extent that Gong Show did.

Meanwhile, one of Saunders' signs actually said, "Saunders Is How To Stop Chow." It's one thing to air such a sentiment in a forum like this, but placing it in your official campaign literature seems pretty crass, no? Does this jackass have so little to recommend himself he has to resort to this?

Y'know something, I'd allow for flipping the hypothesis a bit.

That is, I think that a lot of the declared Chow vote is, in fact, absent-minded and "parked". And there's even been concern from those generically supportive of her that she's been running on more of a sleepwalky frontrunner's campaign than something with "meat" on it--maybe not putting her at danger of losing *now*, so much as putting her at danger come the next municipal election.

So it wouldn't be so much a matter of "Bailao progressives" thinking twice following John Tory's announcement, as it'd be a matter of "Chow moderates" seeking a candidate more to their moderate disposition, and Bailao emerging as the "safe choice" in that regard. In that light, they'd be most akin to "John Tory progressives" in '14--and maybe w/a dash of Nunziata/Ford populism for good measure.

That is, *if* Mainstreet's any kind of foretelling.

Back