News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

What about all the crazy bigots and fascists you don't know about with ownership stakes in other automakers? VW?

1) They don't get nearly as enriched from individual car purchases.

2) The fact that we don't know about them certainly shows they don't have nearly the license and liberties Musk has/takes.

3) VW, Toyota, Ford today are not what they were 80 years ago. If I lived in the 30s, I wouldn't buy a Ford either.

Reactions: PL1
Interesting to see the tech industry in the US and Canada make the PR pivot from "do no evil" deliverers of technological innovation to obstructionist villains trying to protect themselves at the expense of everyone else.

What about all the.....

what.jpg

This is more applicable when you raise some totally irrelevant point. Choosing to give your money to another automaker assuming they are some Paragon of virtue is wrongheaded. Just because other automaker CEOs and owners are more obscure does not make them more worthy of your custom.

Reactions: T3G
Just because other automaker CEOs and owners are more obscure does not make them more worthy of your custom.
I mean it does though. One is going out of their way to make things worse for people in a very public manner that encourages the public to follow suit, the others know better and either hold these beliefs privately, or go about their business without whipping up the masses.

George Conway…nicely done.

I only watched the first minute or so. The problem with this video (in my opinion) is that it preaches to the choir. Those that hate Trump will agree; those that love him will tune out right away and not watch. Few (if any) minds will be changed.

I only watched the first minute or so. The problem with this video (in my opinion) is that it preaches to the choir. Those that hate Trump will agree; those that love him will tune out right away and not watch. Few (if any) minds will be changed.
Yes, but you have to keep trying.

This is more applicable when you raise some totally irrelevant point. Choosing to give your money to another automaker assuming they are some Paragon of virtue is wrongheaded. Just because other automaker CEOs and owners are more obscure does not make them more worthy of your custom.

Elon is a rare and unique weirdo. What other CEO spends $40B to buy a social network just to influence politics and society and then pushes deepfakes about the political candidate they don't like? He is a unique threat to democracy. Even more than the usual billionaire class political meddling.

And I daresay that people who pretend he's just the same as any other billionaire CEO are revealing their naivete and moral flexibility.

Last edited:
Elon is a rare and unique weirdo. What other CEO spends $40B to buy a social network just to influence politics and society and then pushes deepfakes about the political candidate they don't like? He is a unique threat to democracy. Even more than the usual billionaire class political meddling.

And I daresay that people who pretend he's just the same as any other billionaire CEO are revealing their naivete and moral flexibility.

His family has a long history of trying to undermine democratic rule. As to using the social network to influence politics - well, on top of that, there is satellite internet delivery, which can easily place it out of reach by government regulations.

AoD

Not a fan of his turn in politics and media, either. Social media seems to derange people, and it seems to have deranged Musk more than most.

I'm trying to think of all the more virtuous billionaires. Bezos? Gates? Zuckerberg? Koch?

I think people are more complicated than cartoon villains. Musk does a lot to attract legitimate criticism, but he also had made significant contributions. Unfortunately, Twitter seems to make him rack up much more of the former and distracts him from the latter. I am most recently very disappointed to hear how he spoke of his trans daughter.

Did he though?
I don't think SpaceX would have happened without him, and SpaceX is a significant contribution. I also doubt we'd have decent electric cars without him--just weird looking econobox compliance cars like the Nissan Leaf.

That said, I think we're veering a bit off topic here.

Back