39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

TwoDogs_39

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Does anyone know the story behind this one?? I live up the in the area and I'm pretty sure there's been no construction on this property for years. I believe the house is on Goodwill Avenue, but I don't know the exact address. I'm curious to know what happened here. Did they build without a permit and go over the height restrictions? Did they run out of money?? I've attached some pix. I'm sure many of you have seen it before.

Attachments

• goodwill house.JPG
    goodwill house.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 562
  • goodwill 2.JPG
    goodwill 2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 537
that house is municipally addressed as "21 Goodwill Avenue", there are 2 additional residential lots to be developed the west

According to the City's Building Permit online system, permits were issued in March 2009, not sure why construction stopped:

21 GOODWILL AVE
09 115813 HVA 00....Mechanical(MS)............Mar 11, 2009....Permit Issued
09 115813 PLB 00.....Plumbing(PS)...............Mar 11, 2009....Permit Issued
09 115813 DRN 00....Drain and Site Service....Mar 11, 2009....Permit Issued
09 115813 BLD 00.....New Houses...............Mar 10, 2009....Permit Issued

No offense but, it's just one of many and in the middle of nowhere. Now, I may be more interested were this about the stalled Vic reno at Dundas & Broadview

I don't think those pictures do it justice, this thing is huge. The first time I saw it from the side I thought it was a barn.

Me too! I was wondering whether it was a heritage building from some old farm or something.

Me too! I was wondering whether it was a heritage building from some old farm or something.

Haha, you're absolutely right, it does look like a barn! It's like a 4 storey monster, which is why I'm so intrigued by it. I took the images from Google Maps, but they really don't depict the full size of this house/barn/unknown structure.

No offense but, it's just one of many and in the middle of nowhere. Now, I may be more interested were this about the stalled Vic reno at Dundas & Broadview

If you have nothing to contribute, skip the thread.

---

I see this thing every day on my trip to work. I've always been interested in it, as it looks like it is in a state of demolition, not construction. The massing really doesn't fit the site either.

I don't have all the details but from what I've heard, it's been that way for a long time. Would say 10 years maybe. The guy started to build it without a permit. There would be no chance he would get approved to build something of that size. Eventually they shut down construction and it's sat there ever since.

JG

^C'mon, there are dozens upon dozens of opinion post out there on UT. I'm sorry if my opinion in regards to the overabundance of single family homes in this city in various stages of development, while occasionally interesting, could fill up 1000 pages of threads came off a little crass.

Wow, never even occured to me there would be a thread about the barn. Too cool.
Hope they do something with it quick though, a teardown if nothing else.

Just a quick update, the building has seen quite a bit of activity over the last few months. New doors and brick cladding is done up to the third floor. The top floor still looks like a burnt out barn, but hopefuly they are going to replace or repair that area.

This mystery house went up in flames early this morning.

www.thestar.com/news/article/1074633--north-york-eyesore-destroyed-by-fire#article

Excerpt:

North York ‘eyesore’ destroyed by fire
As neighbours watched a North York house burn to the ground early Saturday, they were not sad to see it go.

It was a property — under construction and unoccupied — that Goodwill Ave. residents had been fighting for years. Neighbours Al and Nancy Jacobs called it an eyesore, a safety hazard.

When they moved in, their home faced a beautiful little park where they could take their dogs for walk.

In the last 10 years, they looked out at what they described as an ugly building project that never seemed to get anywhere.

Four lots on the corner of Goodwill Ave. and Wilson Heights Blvd. acquired by Nathan Chang between 2001 and 2004.

“We’ve had a lot of problems over the years with this gentleman,” Nancy Jacobs said of Chang. She said his building plans were inconsistent, construction was sporadic and unsafe. Permit applications were tied up in court.

In the wee hours of Saturday, she and her husband woke to a series of explosions. As they watched the blaze across the street, she said “the window was so hot the blinds were starting to warp.”

Concerned about flying sparks and debris, police led the elderly couple to a parked TTC bus up the street until the fire was put out a few hours later, around 7 a.m.

Back