News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

/\ And so would Maple Leaf Gardens. It would be great if Ryerson bought that from Loblaws (who many not be interested in using it) and used it for both their arena and classrooms.

I would be great. As I understand it, though, the renovation costs are considerable, and Ryerson might not have deep enough pockets.

That assumes that ice time, a precious and scarce commodity in Toronto, would be available at Moss Park.

There's a 50/50 chance you could get an hour on Tuesdays from midnight to 1 am. The ice is always great then.

Intermurals hockey plays there as well. It's essentially a Ryerson arena already. I thought it was pretty amusing that my department's hockey team named themselves the "Puff Puff Passers" a couple years back. They made it to the championships that year, too!

From todays Eye Opener:

Written by Caroline Yoshida-Butryn

(The Eyeopener) - A proposed courthouse is standing in the way of Ryerson’s plan to build a hockey arena in the parking lot of the Sears building, Toronto City Councillor Kyle Rae said.
President Sheldon Levy and acting athletics director Jean Kennedy are looking to raise a 15-storey building with a rink, basketball courts and classrooms.

The provincial government currently owns the Sears property and Ryerson has been vying to purchase it.
However, Rae, the city councillor for the Ryerson area, says he’s heard the government is talking about putting courts on the site.

“I talked to a member of the government today and there’s no clear use yet,” he said.

“I’ve heard rumours that courts may be put there. It’s not clear what the use will be.”

Ryerson’s MPP, George Smitherman, said that he’s dedicated to helping Ryerson with its space issues, but he’s been putting off talks with Levy over the site until after a new provincial cabinet is named.

“As plans might emerge, I’m going to make sure [the Ontario government] is aware that Ryerson has pronounced space problems,” he said.

Money might also prove to be a hitch to Ryerson’s plans.
In order to fund a new facility, Ryerson would have to poll students on whether they’re willing to pay higher fees for a new athletics facility, said Levy.

“Our ancillary fee for athletics at the university is about half of other universities, so the students quite properly pay for what they get,” he says. “And they don’t get a heck of a lot."

However, at least one local business owner is willing to accommodate the building if it gets off the ground.
Spiro Boulieris, who owns the Mutual Street Deli on the corner of the parking lot in question, says he’d be willing to sell the restaurant and move to another location if Ryerson made him an offer.

“If it’s a reasonable offer, we’d be fools to refuse it,” said Boulieris, whose family-owned business first opened in 1957.

“Ryerson has been good to us for years.”

Kennedy said that there is a severe “space crunch” for athletics at Ryerson when taking into account the university teams, recreation teams, intramurals and other sports clubs who use the gym. A new facility would be crucial to giving the athletes much-needed breathing space.

“It’s just a dream right now,” she says. “But it’s a fabulous dream and it would be fabulous for our sports.”
Brian Sutton is the manager of Moss Park Arena, where some of Ryerson’s intramural teams and figure skaters practice. He agrees that downtown Toronto could use another rink.
“It’s something that’s definitely needed downtown,” he said.

Ryerson has talked about expanding Moss Park’s facilities in the past, Sutton said, but the plans never came to fruition because of a lack of money.

Spiro Boulieris, who owns the Mutual Street Deli on the corner of the parking lot in question, says he’d be willing to sell the restaurant and move to another location if Ryerson made him an offer.

I'd hate to see MSD go. I think if Ryerson is truly going to pursue an "urban" campus, it should preserve the unique features of its surrounding neighbourhood, and MSD is one of them.

If MSD has to move, why not a move to Yonge Street? With all those Asian restaurants popping up everywhere on Yonge Street, it would be nice to see a greasy spoon like MSD for a change.

Who owns the block enclosed by Shuter, Mutual, Queen and Dalhousie? I think that site is referred to as Cooke's Church. (Am I correct?)

Is it city-owned, and a planned affordable housing site?

I know it's another two blocks south, and farther away from Ryerson, but here's the reason I ask: isn't it still close enough to be the location of more Ryerson facilities? Surely some of it could be given over to Ryerson for their purposes. (It wouldn't be a bad location for a rink - for one thing it would memorialize 'The Terrace' - the old Mutual Street Arena that became a roller rink on that site.)

Who owns the block enclosed by Shuter, Mutual, Queen and Dalhousie? I think that site is referred to as Cooke's Church. (Am I correct?)

Is it city-owned, and a planned affordable housing site?

I know it's another two blocks south, and farther away from Ryerson, but here's the reason I ask: isn't it still close enough to be the location of more Ryerson facilities? Surely some of it could be given over to Ryerson for their purposes. (It wouldn't be a bad location for a rink - for one thing it would memorialize 'The Terrace' - the old Mutual Street Arena that became a roller rink on that site.)

I'm assuming it is privately owned since the City rejected the proposal put forward a couple of years ago by the developer to erect a couple of 50-storey condos. That being said, yes, it would be a great site for a Ryerson sports complex. It would be ashame to tear down the beautiful building housing the MSD and it's companion next door.

^does that imply Ryerson is about to co-develop another shitbox on our prize waterfront?

222 Jarvis was recently purchased by the Ontario government and will undergo a $100 million coversion into 455,000 square feet of state-of-the-art green office space. The structure will be retrofitted to LEED Gold levels.

Some items included in the retrofit:
  • Green roof
  • Solar energy
  • Daylight & occupancy sensors for optimal lighting control
  • State-of-the-art IT infrastructure
  • Wireless infrastructure
  • Reduced car parking
  • Increased bicycle storage

ORC is leading the project that will be designed by WZMH Architects. The retrofit is scheduled to start this summer and be complete in 2011.

Back