News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Just moved in across the street and loving these pics! I've always been fond of the European inspired architecture along the street.
Welcome!
Yes, I am also fond of the architecture of this complex.

Unfortunately there are plans to demolish half of the colonnade. The Novotel Toronto Centre, 45 The Esplanade currently has a proposal to demolish it and replace it with a mixed-use condominium hotel tower. The new tower will not look as nice especially at grade as we’ll be losing the iconic colonnade. At least 25 The Esplanade is a condominium so any redevelopments are impossible so that means the other half of the colonnade will stay.
Currently the owners of the hotel at 45 The Esplanade are not willing to move with the project so any developments are not likely to start anytime soon.
Sad we are tearing down buildings like these and not building anywhere else…

Terrific thread here. I've always thought that this building had such unrealized potential. Constructed on a uniquely pie-shaped lot that dictates its overall profile, it certainly has echoes of NYCs original Flatiron Building, at least from a distance. That arched arcade along The Esplanade reminds me of the buildings along Berlin's Friedrichstrasse and is a rarity in most North American cities, though its north-facing orientation lends it a dark tunnel effect for much of the year. The arcade even continues to the neighbouring Novotel, though sadly it is slated for eventual demolition. Unfortunately, IMO, everything about this building falls apart from an aesthetic point of view, when you go beyond the fifth floor. That's where any architectural adornment comes to an abrupt end. It's here that we are left with an essentially nondescript, utilitarian, albeit uniquely shaped building. As your eyes follow a seemingly endless sea of square, modern windows on a bland facade punctuated by a central arched inset that extends up its north facade to the 24th or 25th floor, it makes you wish for it all to end, and when it finally does, there's only more disappointment awaiting you with an unsatisfying, stepped-down roofline treatment topped by a thoroughly forgettable crown/equipment room. Either the budget for this one ran out, or the inspiration of its designers did(or perhaps it was both). At any rate, what they've left us with is a landmark of a building, but sadly, a rather forgettable one.

Last edited:
Terrific thread here. I've always thought that this building had such unrealized potential. Constructed on a uniquely pie-shaped lot that dictates its overall profile, it certainly has echoes of NYCs original Flatiron Building, at least from a distance. That arched arcade along The Esplanade reminds me of the buildings along Berlin's Friedrichstrasse and is a rarity in most North American cities, though its north-facing orientation lends it a dark tunnel effect for much of the year. The arcade even continues to the neighbouring Novotel, though sadly it is slated for eventual demolition. Unfortunately, IMO, everything about this building falls apart from an aesthetic point of view, when you go beyond the fifth floor. That's where any architectural adornment comes to an abrupt end. It's here that we are left with an essentially nondescript, utilitarian, albeit uniquely shaped building. As your eyes follow a seemingly endless sea of square, modern windows on a bland facade punctuated by a central arched inset that extends up its north facade to the 24th or 25th floor, it makes you wish for it all to end, and when it finally does, there's only more disappointment awaiting you with an unsatisfying, stepped-down roofline treatment topped by a thoroughly forgettable crown/equipment room. Either the budget for this one ran out, or the inspiration of its designers did(or perhaps it was both). At any rate, what they've left us with is a landmark of a building, but sadly, a rather forgettable one.
The at-grade experience and design of the building is always great and is so much better than most buildings constructed nowadays, like just glass overhangs. Here there was a unique design that I have not seen anywhere else in Toronto. About the taller part of the building, I feel like if we’re gonna call out the endless windows, then most international style buildings would also be, like TD Centre, Toronto Star (One Yonge) and plenty more. I like those buildings, and of course this one. I think what they did with the top where it steps down to the east and up to the west creates a different flatiron design that hasn’t been seen with other buildings, especially when viewed from afar from its west side. Although it is increasingly difficult to find views like that with developments constantly blocking the most beautiful part of the building.

Overall I really like this buildings in every aspect.

Welcome!
Yes, I am also fond of the architecture of this complex.

Unfortunately there are plans to demolish half of the colonnade. The Novotel Toronto Centre, 45 The Esplanade currently has a proposal to demolish it and replace it with a mixed-use condominium hotel tower. The new tower will not look as nice especially at grade as we’ll be losing the iconic colonnade. At least 25 The Esplanade is a condominium so any redevelopments are impossible so that means the other half of the colonnade will stay.
Currently the owners of the hotel at 45 The Esplanade are not willing to move with the project so any developments are not likely to start anytime soon.
Sad we are tearing down buildings like these and not building anywhere else…
Welcome back! On safari? Or out of jail? I was getting worried.

Bibi L - Do Not Use Without Permission Or Credit - 25 The Esplanade Night.jpg

The at-grade experience and design of the building is always great and is so much better than most buildings constructed nowadays, like just glass overhangs. Here there was a unique design that I have not seen anywhere else in Toronto. About the taller part of the building, I feel like if we’re gonna call out the endless windows, then most international style buildings would also be, like TD Centre, Toronto Star (One Yonge) and plenty more. I like those buildings, and of course this one. I think what they did with the top where it steps down to the east and up to the west creates a different flatiron design that hasn’t been seen with other buildings, especially when viewed from afar from its west side. Although it is increasingly difficult to find views like that with developments constantly blocking the most beautiful part of the building.

Of course, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, and I respect your opinion even if I don't share it. My only counter is that the buildings that form the TD Centre complex(and similar towers) are true to their form, that being the 'International Style', and though they incorporate repetition by their very nature, are also aesthetically pleasing. I don't think quite the same can be said for 25 The Esplanade. While it seems to channel the Chicago School. and more specifically the Flatiron, it does so only partially. The Flatiron abounds with classical and Beaux-Arts elements and is very much a product of its time. What we have in 25 The Esplanade are a few classical elements like arches and arcades combined with much more modern elements...it is a forced pastiche and IMO, a rather unsuccessful one. Building styles evolve, and the skyscrapers of today can trace their roots back to those early highrises like the Flatiron, but 25 The Esplanade seems to me to be less a missing link in that evolution, and more a chimaera.

Of course, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, and I respect your opinion even if I don't share it. My only counter is that the buildings that form the TD Centre complex(and similar towers) are true to their form, that being the 'International Style', and though they incorporate repetition by their very nature, are also aesthetically pleasing. I don't think quite the same can be said for 25 The Esplanade. While it seems to channel the Chicago School. and more specifically the Flatiron, it does so only partially. The Flatiron abounds with classical and Beaux-Arts elements and is very much a product of its time. What we have in 25 The Esplanade are a few classical elements like arches and arcades combined with much more modern elements...it is a forced pastiche and IMO, a rather unsuccessful one. Building styles evolve, and the skyscrapers of today can trace their roots back to those early highrises like the flatiron, but 25 The Esplanade seems to me to be less a missing link in that evolution, and more a chimaera.
It is post-modern after all and was built in the mid to late 80s. I think this building is a great example of good postmodern architecture. Like Scotia Plaza. (Even Scotia Plaza has endless windows until the top with the V-shaped cut out, but the facade has granite and a nice red color, obviously I too love Scotia Plaza) Of course it’s up to you what you define beauty, but in my eyes I think this building is much more unique than most buildings here. Newer buildings especially are mostly repetitive and cheap. With green/blue glass and barely any inspiration, with some balconies slapped on making them look worse. I think this building breaks away from the repetitive condos in Toronto.

It is post-modern after all and was built in the mid to late 80s. I think this building is a great example of good postmodern architecture. Like Scotia Plaza. (Even Scotia Plaza has endless windows until the top with the V-shaped cut out, but the facade has granite and a nice red color, obviously I too love Scotia Plaza) Of course it’s up to you what you define beauty, but in my eyes I think this building is much more unique than most buildings here. Newer buildings especially are mostly repetitive and cheap. With green/blue glass and barely any inspiration, with some balconies slapped on making them look worse. I think this building breaks away from the repetitive condos in Toronto.
Ah yes...the state of the buildings going up today. Now there's something we're both in agreement on!

Back