8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Bibi L

Member Bio
Reaction score
I made this thread for 25 The Esplanade to discuss or post pics of it.
In these posts, I'll share information and history about this building.
First part, we'll be discussing construction! We always look at new developments in this city under construction, but we never look at older buildings when they were under construction.
Let's start off with information about it.
It was designed by Matsui Baer Vanstone Freeman, and developed by Avro Group. The first records I could find date back to 1986, with construction for the complex starting the same year. It was built alongside 45 The Esplanade, which is Novotel Toronto Centre. Both buildings were developed by the same company. Novotel Toronto Centre is a 9-story hotel. Construction was finished in 1987. 25 The Esplanade topped out in 1988, with residents moving in 1989. This tower is pretty unique, as it is shaped as a flatiron. It's shaped that way because the land used to be much more triangular than it is now. Some tracks south of it have since been removed, which created more land, and a new development, Backstage, was built. These new developments have obscured the "flatiron" view.
The tower stands at 33 storeys, 108 metres in height. The first floor features 3 retail spaces. The second floor has office space. Floors 3-32 are residential floors. Floor 33 has amenities for all residents. It features a party room right at the "nose" of the building (west side). It also has a billiard room next to it, facing north. An entertainment room connected to the party room facing south, and a kitchen. On the east side of the building, (backside) there is a spacious gym. It also features a whirlpool and change rooms equipped with a sauna. On the 33rd, 32nd, and 31st floors, both north and south have rooftop terraces. 6 total. There is also a SkyPark on the 6th floor on the east side. 7 total. The residential portion of 25 The Esplanade is owned by MTCC #850. The commercial portion, first floor, second floor (retail, office) and even the entire 45 The Esplanade hotel building plus the entire parking lot for all buildings, were owned by Avro Group, the developer. However, a few years ago, it was bought by Silver Hotel Group, which still holds true to this day. The parking lot is different from most condos in Toronto. It has 3 different levels, which all parking is shared between 25/35/45. 35 and 45 get the P1 parking level, which is public, anyone can park. Residential (25 The Esplanade) has P2 and P3. That portion of the garage is gated. They have a contract with the parking owner, which is not MTCC #850. It's all owned by Silver Hotel Group and was operated by Impark, which now TargetPark operates.
Fun fact: The north facing stairwell in 25 The Esplanade has windows!

Here are some pictures of it under construction (sources are at the bottom)
Before we start with construction, this is the model of how the complex would have looked like. From this image, we can see some changes between the proposal and the final product. We can see the east facade with the concrete, would have had some windows. Currently, there are no windows on the concrete facade on the east. We also see there was a big arch on the entrance of 25 The Esplanade, reading its address. There also was a bridge connecting it with Meridian Hall. At the time, O'Keefe Centre. The windows on the 4th floor of 25 would have had arches. There would have been an arch connecting 25 with 45. The entrance for vehicles at 45 would be different. The entrance of the hotel would also be different.
While the final design of the complex isn't too different, there were some changes made before construction, as we can see in the image.

1719005394611.png

Now, with actual construction pictures.
This is before any development had started. This is how the intersection looked like.

1719004234597.png

Sometime between 1980 and 1982. This is when 55 The Esplanade and the Green P garage were under construction. This project is not connected to 25 or 45.

1719004301639.png

Finally, 25 The Esplanade! Two cranes for this building, which stretches 80 meters east-west. Circa 1987.

1719003437425.png

Around 1988/1987. Almost topped out.

1719004430851.png

It's finished in this picture. We'll go over 45 The Esplanade soon.

1719004493181.png

Before we do that, let's look at it at a different angle.

1719004526027.png

45 The Esplanade under construction. Keep in mind this finished before 25 The Esplanade.

1719004559802.png

Different angle.

1719005191469.png

More different angles.

1719004593063.png

This is before they extended the Green P garage. Did you know it originally was only built until Church St and did not stretch all the way to Market St? That's why the architecture of the garage differs. With the older part not having the arches like the extension has.

1719005031066.png

Looks nice.

1719004996834.png

Going back to 25 The Esplanade, in this picture, we can see it under construction topped out, but still under construction. This is before Brookfield Place, back then, BCE Place. The skyline was pretty empty back then...

1719005149275.png

Compare the above image with this one, taken 1991. We can still see Bay Wellington tower under construction. TD Canada Trust Tower was brand new.

1719005541499.png

Going back to 45 The Esplanade, in this picture, it's finished! Ever since it opened, it's always been Novotel.

1719006048426.png

I will continue, as there is a 15 attachment limit. This is only part one!
(Sources: City of Toronto Archives, TPL Digital Archive [Toronto Star Archives])

Part two.
In this part, I'll be posting some more construction pictures. (Sources posted at the bottom)
In this picture, we can see the Toronto skyline in 1988. Scotia Plaza and 25 The Esplanade are visible, and under construction. Both buildings had topped out, but were still installing their cladding.

1719008205251.png

In this next picture, we are looking south-west towards the intersection of Yonge St & The Esplanade. This is where the old tracks, which have since been removed, used to lead. The building into which the tracks would enter has been demolished, and the area has been transformed into a GO bus terminal. However, that terminal no longer exists. If you were to look at this spot now, you would see CIBC Square (Phase 2), Backstage, and L Tower to the right.

1719009258145.png

Aerial photo of the area, which the plot of land of 25 The Esplanade is on the bottom right of the picture. We can see how triangular the land was. This photo is so old you don't even see Commerce Court West! (Finished 1972) Just the two original two Ludwig Mies van der Rohe designed TD Centre towers and Commerce Court North.

1719009472275.png

Here we can see Novotel open.

1719008295924.png

In this next picture, we can see the construction hoist for 25 The Esplanade.

1719008269656.png

In this picture, taken from the Royal York hotel, we can see 25 The Esplanade under construction.

1719010173225.png

Similar view as the picture above, but here it is complete. Most of these view points have been blocked by newer developments.

1719010718916.png

Here we see the north side of 25 The Esplanade, looking south from Scott St. The tower has finished, but we can see some work going on inside, and the louvres at the top for the mechanical penthouse. We can also see a crane on the left.

1719008348559.png

Also in this picture, we see it's complete, but it appears no one has moved in yet.

1719008433970.png

In these next pictures, the building has finished.
1719008502806.png

1719008629783.png

1719008605405.png

1719008526072.png

1719008785405.png

Union Station, looking east. Must've looked really nice when pulling into Union Station! You could even clearly see it when driving on the Gardiner like Ten York.

1719009782340.png

I will post another part, however, it'll be different. It will feature pictures of the amenities, which are currently under renovation!
Thank you for your interest in reading this!
Sources: City of Toronto Archives, TPL Digital Archive.

In this part, I will.be going over the current amenity renovations. Some amenities have already been renovated in the past. But some are still original from the 80s!
The party room, billiard, and entertainment rooms have been renovated in the past, but are currently being renovated, with the wallpapers and flooring removed.
The whirlpool, gym, and change rooms were original.
Before & after pictures. Some areas are obviously still under renovation, but some are almost complete.
In the next part, I will go more in depth with the renovations. This part will only have before and after pictures. Pictures are all from me.

Starting with the whirlpool.
This is how it looked like prior to renovations. (from the 80s)

IMG_6900.jpeg

This is how it looks like after renovations. It still is not fully complete.

IMG_6910.jpeg

Have you ever wondered how the “point”, “nose”, or “front” of the building looks like inside? This is how it looks like.
Before renovations (this was renovated a few years back.)

IMG_6901.jpeg

Currently under renovation.

IMG_6907.jpeg

Before.

IMG_6902.jpeg

Now.

IMG_6908.jpeg

Entertainment room, before.

IMG_6904.jpeg

Now.

IMG_6909.jpeg

Billiard room, before

IMG_6905.jpeg

Now.

IMG_6913.jpeg

Change rooms, before renovations.

IMG_7081.jpeg

During renovations

IMG_7083.jpeg

Now. They are almost done.

IMG_7082.jpeg

Thank you for your interest!
I will post more soon.

Fortunately for the owners/residents the building has an amazing condo board, reasonable monthly fees, a phenomenal, mostly long-serving, crew of 20 staff, and a great location. Within a ten minute walk are shuttles to two international airports, two subway stations, Union Station, the ferry docks, six full-service grocery stores and five smaller grocers, and a ton of every level of restaurant. My neighbours paid $85,000 for their starter condo in 1990, it’s now worth $650,000. The only thing I wish would be changed is the horrid aluminum siding on the top and down the east side.

Fortunately for the owners/residents the building has an amazing condo board, reasonable monthly fees, a phenomenal, mostly long-serving, crew of 20 staff, and a great location. Within a ten minute walk are shuttles to two international airports, two subway stations, Union Station, the ferry docks, six full-service grocery stores and five smaller grocers, and a ton of every level of restaurant. My neighbours paid $85,000 for their starter condo in 1990, it’s now worth $650,000. The only thing I wish would be changed is the horrid aluminum siding on the top and down the east side.
Great location, in the heart of downtown. Building is maintained very well. Amazing architecture. Great amenities. Spacious units. Great quality. You don’t often see condos like this.

Just watched a YouTube video where a Toronto real estate agent named the flat iron building (25 Esplanade?) as one of the condos to avoid (buying/ renting) downtown. He admitted it used to be great, but nowadays there are a lot of drug users near the building and the elevator waiting time is supposed to be one of the worst in the city (he claimed a 20 minute wait is not uncommon). He didn’t say whether that was due to insufficient numbers of elevators or elevators constantly breaking down/ being serviced. Thoughts?

Just watched a YouTube video where a Toronto real estate agent named the flat iron building (25 Esplanade?) as one of the condos to avoid (buying/ renting) downtown. He admitted it used to be great, but nowadays there are a lot of drug users near the building and the elevator waiting time is supposed to be one of the worst in the city (he claimed a 20 minute wait is not uncommon). He didn’t say whether that was due to insufficient numbers of elevators or elevators constantly breaking down/ being serviced. Thoughts?
I also saw that, I disagree with him. At the time, the Novotel had been turned into a homeless shelter. The entire neighbourhood had a drug problem because of it. It wasn’t exclusive to 25 The Esplanade, and is definitely not a problem now, as the shelter has since closed, and been closed for a while. The hotel was renovated and has been operating again as the Novotel for a while now. The elevator waiting time is exaggerated, as I’ve never waited that long. The longest was probably 5 mins, because the elevators had some problems. There are 5 elevators for 33 floors. That’s enough for 571 condo units. Compare that to some other buildings, like Monde for example, which has THREE elevators for 44 floors. 11 more floors, 2 less elevators. The wait times there were insane. A 10 story condo had the same elevators as Monde.

That guy is an idiot and was reported to his employer. He rants about the shelter problems like they were current problems and fails to clearly mention it was closed many months ago. If you take out the fake news, the review was great. All the elevators went through rebuilds a few years ago and some follow up repairs to the tensioners, sheaves and cable replacement. 5 elevators for 571 units, 114 units/elevator. They are working 100% now. Sure if you have people moving in or out, and an elevator is out of service you will have problems. Throw in a furniture delivery, contractor usage and cleaning. I can’t image some new towers for the upper floors with a move in/out and a service outage. I think all the elevators are on emergency power now too.

Maybe a good time to post this for a look at the inside of a unit.
Large spacious unit. 1,225 ft2
Great for taking pictures and posting on Urban Toronto.
360degree coverage of the growing downtown.and soon to be “almost” connected to the PATH. You won’t need a coat to catch a game at Scotiabank Arena or go to work in the core.

https://25theesplanade3116.ca/

Last edited:
Some of these posts sound suspiciously like you are all trying to sell units in this building ;)
Not me! It’s too good a location to ever consider moving. There’s a surprisingly large number of owners who’ve lived here for well over twenty years.
The shelter next door was problematic but it’s been closed for a long time now. Even then, the trouble was from the same 10-15 people day after day out of the couple of hundred people who lived there. My “junior one bedroom” is 100 sq. ft. bigger than a “large one bedroom” unit directly across the street. Also, maintenance fees include heating, a/c, electricity, garbage, and water. It’s too good a bargain to give up.

Back