News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I believe the montony of the street vendors is more due to provincial health laws than city ones. Either way, I agree - just let people get a few sick tummies from some undercooked food - I've gotten sick from enough ill-advised street meat meals.

As for keeping the LCBOs and Beer stores open later - not going to happen when the bars are required to buy their alcohol from the LCBO and therefore would face unfair competition from the LCBO's cheaper prices.

The Toronto-specific food is the best idea: my friends from NYC really think this is key to identifying a place.

Sounds like downtown Cleveland.

It was actually Atlantic City ;) , but that's why I posted a reply to the claim that Toronto street-food is the lowest of the low. Most cities do hot dogs far worse than here.

As for keeping the LCBOs and Beer stores open later - not going to happen when the bars are required to buy their alcohol from the LCBO and therefore would face unfair competition from the LCBO's cheaper prices.

That doesn't sound too likely. My decision to go out or not is made before the LCBO closes, when I either buy enough for the whole night or enough until I go to the bar. If it was open later I would still do the same thing. Just having standardized hours would be an improvement. Some closing at 9pm and some at 10pm is really annoying. Make all downtown locations 11pm, please.

Last edited:
There've been a lot of interesting ideas about what food, attractions, etc. should be marketed as "iconic Toronto" here. Just about any of these ideas could fly if marketed properly. What I think Toronto should do is - instead of choosing to promote, say, peameal on a kaiser as iconic Toronto fare - market our name through all the films and tv shows being filmed here. I think we have a singular opportunity here as more and more movies and tv shows are being set in Toronto and marketed to mainstream audiences in the US and around the world. For example, just as BMO did a very consipicuous product placement in "Being Erica" last season, Toronto could pay to make sure that our name and attractions are mentioned frequently. "Being Erica", incidently, gets props from me for frequently mentioning "Toronto" as well as places such as Centre Island, Casa Loma and Canada's Wonderland. However, shows such as "Rookie Blue" still play coy about where exactly they're set, even if they do show our skyline in many of their shots. All we need is for a lead character in a hit show or movie to stand in front of St Lawrence market exclaiming that when you're in Toronto you gotta have the peameal on a kaiser, and wham, people will be in front of St Lawrence Market eating peameal on a Kaiser the way people eat danishes in front of Tiffany's on Fifth Ave.

There've been a lot of interesting ideas about what food, attractions, etc. should be marketed as "iconic Toronto" here. Just about any of these ideas could fly if marketed properly. What I think Toronto should do is - instead of choosing to promote, say, peameal on a kaiser as iconic Toronto fare - market our name through all the films and tv shows being filmed here. I think we have a singular opportunity here as more and more movies and tv shows are being set in Toronto and marketed to mainstream audiences in the US and around the world. For example, just as BMO did a very consipicuous product placement in "Being Erica" last season, Toronto could pay to make sure that our name and attractions are mentioned frequently. "Being Erica", incidently, gets props from me for frequently mentioning "Toronto" as well as places such as Centre Island, Casa Loma and Canada's Wonderland. However, shows such as "Rookie Blue" still play coy about where exactly they're set, even if they do show our skyline in many of their shots. All we need is for a lead character in a hit show or movie to stand in front of St Lawrence market exclaiming that when you're in Toronto you gotta have the peameal on a kaiser, and wham, people will be in front of St Lawrence Market eating peameal on a Kaiser the way people eat danishes in front of Tiffany's on Fifth Ave.
That would actually be a good place for some of the tourism marketing budget to go, even though it's a shame it has to come to that. Actually identifying places by their real names helps too. On a recent episode of Flashpoint (which plays coy the same way Rookie Blue does) they showed all kinds of shots of City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square...but City Hall became an immigration building and NPS became "Hancock Square". That's a pretty American-sounding name to me. So there you have it, they're showing off one of the most recognizable landmarks in the city and they're hiding what it is.

I don't know what they're afraid of. If the success of Degrassi and the hype behind Scott Pilgrim show anything it's that people in other countries aren't going to stop watching as soon as they find out it's Canadian. :rolleyes:

The Toronto-specific food is the best idea: my friends from NYC really think this is key to identifying a place.

Agreed. Toronto is the biggest, oldest and easternmost major city in North America that doesn't have an identifiable regional dish. Even LA has the California Roll. At this point in our history, we don't even have to make our regional specialty some sodium-laden working class dish.

We also don't have a regional accent, but that's probably not surprising for a city that is full of migrants.

How about a Butter Tart burger? Like those donut burgers I was reading about in the states only with two butter tarts with a pattie'n cheese between them? A T-dot-Tart. :p

Butter tarts are probably originally a twist on the sugar pie.

Last edited:

Back