News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

28 St Thomas = 101 Bloor Street West

I've done some investigating into this project. It will be a luxury residential condominium project...I'd almost consider moving back to Toronto to purchase one ;)

I am attaching a link to a 'for lease' ad for the Cole Haan space on the main floor: http://www.avisonyoung.com/library/pdf/Toronto-Lease/101_Bloor_St_W_-_2006_Flyer.PDF . 101 Bloor will also include 10,000 sq ft of new second floor retail. I guess this also means Cole Haan Will be closing. Meh oh well. Maybe Giorgio Armani will open in its place...although I bet the landlord wants the full 14,000 square feet leased by one tenant. The other retail space staying, btw, is Royal de Versailles Jewelers and the space formally known as Bvlgari.

Anyone wanna speculate what tenant might want 14,000 square feet at 101 Bloor West. Remember, Winner's already took 110 Bloor ;)

-Craig

Holt's is that height because it was built during Crombie's 45 foot height limit days. Not sure if they allowed for anything taller.
My recollection is that there was indeed such allowance for extra floors (offices or apartment/condos, I do not know). And remember (we so often forget) that the 45 foot limit was a temp measure while a new city plan was drawn up. Given that it was IIRC built post-Crombie, I'd guess economic rather than height-limit reasoning explains the Holt's lowrise...

Actually there was a story in Toronto Life a few years back about the guy that had Holt's built. IIRC his name was Eddie Cogan. The story talked about Holt's and how it was built with the 45 foot limit in mind. Whether they left allowance for higher later I don't know.

Update...

Has construction begun on this office-to-condo conversion? Any pricing info?

I haven't heard if a tenant or tenants have been chosen for the Cole-Haan retail location at the corner.

The Vancouver Holt's was just recently renovated- completely and from what I have been hearing (grumbling at best), there are plans in the works to completely overhaul the store and build additional space. Now, I these are sources within in the community of Fashion/Design, but who the hell knows. Not that the store isn't in store- (no pun intended) for a reno.

I think the 28 St. Thomas is not a bad reno, especially given the present look- you could pretty much build anything there and it would look better. That said, I hope that with the much anticipated Bloor St. reconstruction, that stores will ultimately feel compelled to do much needed renos and refurbs to live up to the new streetscaping.

p5

Anyone know the developer (not architect) for this?

There was talk a couple years ago that a wealthy New York investor swooped in and bought this building under the radar for future conversion. I suspect that he is the developer though I don't know recall his name.

The interiors renders look a little too minimalist for this kind of project but I admire the direction they appear to be taking with the building. Retrofits from office to condo are difficult but can really look amazing if done properly. Consider the building on the north side of St. Clair east of Avenue Road. I think it turned out incredibly well.

Since this thread has been dormant for a while, I figured I should bump-up the rendering as well...

492905294_5b604a1261.jpg

The Vancouver Holt's was just recently renovated- completely and from what I have been hearing (grumbling at best), there are plans in the works to completely overhaul the store and build additional space. Now, I these are sources within in the community of Fashion/Design, but who the hell knows. Not that the store isn't in store- (no pun intended) for a reno.
p5

I'm confused....are you saying the BLOOR STREET Holt Renfrew may be redone?

^^Yes, the Holt's in Toronto might be redone- now this is only hear-say, but from people well connected in the development business. I believe though that this might have to wait until Loblaws starts to post positive quarters again-otherwise the money will not be made available.

It could happen this year or next? But I have a feeling that the plan will be to coincide somehow with the renewed Bloor St.

p5

^^Yes, the Holt's in Toronto might be redone- now this is only hear-say, but from people well connected in the development business. I believe though that this might have to wait until Loblaws starts to post positive quarters again-otherwise the money will not be made available.

It could happen this year or next? But I have a feeling that the plan will be to coincide somehow with the renewed Bloor St.

p5

You hear that everyone. SHOP AT LOBLAWS.

I wonder if a re-do of the store would include an increased square footage. I think HR Bloor needs more space...yes it's quite large already, but the Vancouver and Calgary stores have similar sales spaces. My understanding was that the facade of the Bloor St. store would become similar to Vancouver...with a partial glass exterior.

OK enough about that, I know this thread is about 28 St. Thomas ;)

Back