9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

CDL.TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
30km.ca is a website that "superimposes the 30 km evacuation zone that was permanently depopulated after the Chernobyl accident onto the Greater Toronto Area. Using the Pickering nuclear station as the epicenter, the website outlines a disaster scenario that would displace 2.5 million people from Yonge Street to Oshawa."

They have also had people in hazmat suits handing out brochures on Queen and Yonge streets.

Although the argument itself is extremely questionable, the first thing that comes to my mind when seeing a campaign like this is "who is paying for it?". With a website, campaigners, and CNW press releases there's obviously money involved.

WTF? they lose track of thousands of illegal immigrants and now this?

just a timing coincidence or should i be stocking up on potassium iodine? :confused:

sweet! I'm 27.96km away.... but its funny that since comes out a day after the 41K missing immigrant story pops up. What better way to get rid of 41K illegals by creating another 2.45m refugees of sorts in the process! :)

The old city of Toronto is not in the 30km zone and nothing else matters. That's the crappy side of the GTA anyways.

Some people are obsessed by fear and disaster. It's a cult of fear. The idea is that if you can scare the population enough then maybe you can force them into to doing what you want them to do (or believe). Greenpeace is against nuclear power. Instead of using hellfire and damnation as a means to convincing people about their beliefs, they use fears of disaster, radiation and death.

Pretty irresponsible behaviour. Someone should nail down who is doing this, and publicize it. Legitimate people are willing to identify themselves and take responsibility for their statements.

Nuclear power is what it is. It is by no means a safe and cheap source of power.

That is not to say that other sources of power (i.e. coal) are cleaner, but a hell of a lot cheaper when you consider the negative impacts of radioactive waste. How do you even begin to put a price on that?

Toronto would most likely continue, albeit in a lesser form, as a city, but the health implications and the associated costs are indisputable.

Prevailing winds blow to the east, so shouldn't the 30km circle be more like an ellipse that reaches Trenton?

sweet! I'm 27.96km away.... but its funny that since comes out a day after the 41K missing immigrant story pops up. What better way to get rid of 41K illegals by creating another 2.45m refugees of sorts in the process! :)

Hmm...I'm also exactly 27.96km away. I have relatives that are 29.9km away...so close, but so dead in the long term.

The old city of Toronto is not in the 30km zone and nothing else matters. That's the crappy side of the GTA anyways.

The zone reaches Bathurst...the entire Yonge corridor (clearly the least-crappy part of the GTA) is in the circle. North Toronto, Yonge & St. Clair, everything downtown east of about Church; these places aren't in the old city of Toronto?

But due to winds, maybe the nukyuler fallout will peter out at Victoria Park, putting Scarborough out of its misery :)

^Oh, stop with those facts! ;)

CANDU's are considerably different technology than those wonderfully fire-prone, vintage Soviet-design graphite moderated reactors.

It is by no means a safe and cheap source of power.

I guess it's all been a fantasy...

Geez, if there's money behind this they could at least get the map right. Highways, 404, 7A, 12, and 35 should be 12, 7, 35, and 28 respectively. Half the cities on the map are way off too. Even the nuclear plants are wrong! What it labels as Pickering is actually Darlington, which is east of Oshawa. A 30 km radius around Pickering would probably reach Yonge St.

Nuclear power is what it is. It is by no means a safe and cheap source of power.

That is not to say that other sources of power (i.e. coal) are cleaner, but a hell of a lot cheaper when you consider the negative impacts of radioactive waste. How do you even begin to put a price on that?

Toronto would most likely continue, albeit in a lesser form, as a city, but the health implications and the associated costs are indisputable.

Coal stops being such a great deal when you include the negative impacts, which include global warming, death by lung disease, acid rain, radioactive material spread into the atmosphere.

It may be possible for Pickering to melt down, but I doubt it. The implicit comparison to Chernobyl is at best intellectually dishonest. Oh, and I very, very seriously doubt that "the nuclear industry" said that Chernobly would "Never Happen". Is it the suggestion of this website that the graphite core at Pickering is going to catch fire?

maybe if i eat lead, i will be protected from the radiation.

hmmm, colloidal lead to cause plumbria, a condition similar to argyria but with lead particles in the skin instead of silver to block radiation. ;)

Just don't hide out in your basement too long, you might inhale too much of that naturally occurring radon.

Back