News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Here is the new site plan they are proposing. New city park along Wilmont

IMG_3325.jpeg

So they removed the smaller apartment buildings and I guess added those units back on top of the towers. With they just had one ramp instead of two and eliminated the drop off loop and surface parking (certainly don't need both).

Overall, it's not terrible.

Agreed that the additional height is good, but I'm not sure about the "park", which is really a parkette given its size. It's really too small to have amenities like play structures, so it will be a piece of greenspace. Not bad per se, but the risk I see is that tenants/owners will use the parkette as a litter box for their pets. The developer made it quite clear that it will not be involved in the design and future upkeep of this green space--it will be the City. So policing the use of this space will fall on the City not the property management company.

There was a community consult, my understanding is they need the drop off as an emergency services turn around and the traffic study indicated they needed two ramps despite the garages being connected.

The park is proper shit though and won't be well frequented. The beach and the little park in Westboro Beach off Churchhill is nearby and Lion's park will get re-deved as a part of the 40s going in. I honestly think the city should change park-in-lieu funds to be 100% to the ward from where they came and start buying land if it is such a problem. They are getting a bunch of tiny useless parkettes out of the current policy and none are useable or particularly attractive.

To push back a little, those parkettes are useful if you have kids and they have some kind of play structures. You could probably still get a play structure into this space. As more and more apartments and townhomes go into the neighbourhood, it's helpful to have these little parks around for people who don't have yards or only have tiny postage-stamp yards. (I do agree this risks becoming a pet litter box, though.)

The park could probably be well used if they do it right by making it usable beyond a place with seating and trees. I could maybe get the logic for the loop (emergency vehicles), but I call B.S. on the two ramps. Constitution Square is a million square feet of office space with nearly a thousand parking spaces, and all of these cars coming in and put during rush hour. A residential parking garage served by rapid transit with less than half the spaces does not need two ramps.

I do have kids, they never ask for the parkettes, they hate the ones just off a road because parents are always yelling at them to stay away from the road the whole time. This is why parks like Clare Gardens, Lions, Dovercourt and that one just at Island park and Byron (the kids call it "school bus park") are so well frequented.

Another thing that I don't like is the addition of surface visitor parking and the additional parking ramp. If I heard correctly (and I stand to be corrected), the developer can't build under the parkette, hence the need for a second entrance to the underground garage(s) and the addition of surface parking because there will be fewer spaces underground. Whether there is a need for the number of parking spaces they are asking for is another question...

From my experience in the community, at grade visitor parking/loading is the number 1 way to keep the delivery cars from being strewn about in the community. This is one of the biggest complaints (next to shadows and character) of people living near buildings and in my opinion is one of the only valid ones. Delivery guys aren't going into an underground lot for an uber eats/amazon delivery and they tend to not give a rats ass about parking rules if there isn't a convenient spot for them to stop.

The developer can't build under the parkette as it will be public land. It isn't a publicly accessible private park, it will be transferred to the city to do as the city sees fit. The developer can't build a private car lot under a public park since it doesn't own the land once it is transferred.

Back