News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A massing study doesn't really have anything to do with a detailed design (I'm working on a render to show that).

It's not much more than building blocks... what height, shape and density goes where on the site.
did u look at the zoning when u did those?

^nope. But my reorganization from a residential density pov is no greater than what is proposed.

Plus this is a "what if" kinda thread... wishful thinking not necessarily rooted in zoning or other realities.

Joking aside, I enjoy being proactive about opportunities (purely an intellectual exercise as I have no influence)) because this forum tends to be entirely reactive... comments (usually negative) about what "is" going to happen. Nothing wrong with having a catharthic complaint vessel, but the forum's real potential will be realized when bright minds become proactive... perhaps the forum will have influence one day (likely as a media entity, not a political one).

Does anyone think this piazza idea has merit? I may do the render regardless.

I want some feedback from the new emperor of this site. It's simple courtesy.

Hell, I'd settle for feedback from the old emperor who seems never to post anywhere unless it's to expose me.

Forget about feedback from them. They'll completely bash your ideas. Try to get feedback from actual architects/firms.

i'll give a comment this weekend when i have some time to look over the drawings, cuz right now im working on my own design for a faculty club at the corner of church and mcgill (just below carlton).

well looking it over more carefully, the plan is ambitious just like the rest of the projects which is good.

the area is almost 10,000 sqaure meters so a lot can be done on it. keeping low-rise (3-4 storey) on queen would be best to make it fit in a bit more with the streetscape as there are lovely old buildings on the south side of queen. and then the high rise building will be backdrop for them. it would be good to have these 2 contrast to give it the greatest effect to give that sense of foreground and backround.

if you're going to work with sightlines for one church, you might as well do it for the other spire as well which is also close by.

when i was doing a study for this area, for a project at school, we decided to use this area for ryerson. what he thought would be best is to put a medical complex consisting of medical reserach and nursing facilites if ryerson ever went that way and expanded their program (much like UofT). so that would be a joint venture with st. mike's hospital. on top of that student residences and lecture halls for the life sciences program would be located there as well. but i can see that being any form of residential as u have mentioned.

the green courtyard is nice as it continues the flow of green space along queen which includes the green space between bond and church on the west and moss park on the east. this should definitely be a public courtyard which can be the entrance for many shops on the interior.

this isn't as dramatic or big as the other projects but i really don't want to make another thread. i hope you won't mind 3D.

so here is what i did for a ryerson faculty club which is to go on the empty parking lot across from "the barn". it's located on the corner of church and mcgill.

the way the buidling is shape is due to backyards in behind the buidling. i didn't want to block out w/e sun they could get during the afternoons and sloped the roof. this makes the interior spaces quite interesting as well. the outside features a glass curtain wall with a louver system on the first two walls which make the facade dynamic in that it is never static because each time u see it, the louvers will be positioned according to the users inside the building. as u enter, there is a double height atrium with a proposed video wall on the right which is the wall of the auditorium. u also have your dining room, kitchen and coat check on the first floor. the 2nd floor has the members lounge on the west side, small reading area, change rooms/showers, and offices. the 3rd floor is a balcony on the west and a green area w/ a canopy on the east.

tell me what u guys think.

final1zl9.jpg

final2kr1.jpg

final3sm9.jpg

final4ro8.jpg

render1.jpg

looking southeast down church

render2.jpg

looking northeast up church

Back