News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

My problem with the Highway Of Heroes is that it just sounds real cheesy. I find it very reminiscent of the Freedom Fries term that the American politicians used when they were pissed at the French. I think it would be more fitting to create a large monument beside that area of the highway to commemorate the soldiers, versus naming it the Highway of Heroes.

"To most air travellers, Toronto's international airport is still Toronto airport."

I'll disagree. Everyone I know calls it Pearson, except those people who call it Mississauga Int'l Airport or somesuch BS.

Fiendish: There's usually nothing wrong with people who serve in the Armed Forces in this country. They are pragmatic about what Canada's role in Afghanistan and what its capabilities are. What's disturbing is when 'supporting the troops' becomes a political weapon to demolish people who question military activity. It's used almost exclusively by arm-chair generals or conservatives who usually don't care one bit about the success of such ventures, or the means/ends involved, but who get some perverse pleasure out of Canada being involved in the decimation of a country.

Keep in mind that I am a supporter of the Afghan mission, I just oppose the glorification of warfare and the placing of soldiers on a pedestal for worship. Is the sacrifice of soldiers in Afghanistan that much more poignant of meaningful than that of police officers, firefighters, EMS personnel who die in the line of duty?

I'm strongly opposed to renaming the 401. Build a monument or series of monuments. It'd be more meaningful and less of a lame, lazy platitude.

Maybe the can rename the lanes leading to Toronto as the Highway to Heaven, just to generally piss off anyone living outside the city.

Well, might go unfortunately well with traffic catastrophes. Just like Charlie Farquharson's "McDougall & Brown Freeway"...

Highway of heroes is really stupid. There's nothing heroic about the Afghanistan mission. It's the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway, but everyone will always call it the four-o-one.

A good many Canadians, no matter what they think about the Afghan conflict, are instinctively suspicious of jingoism.

Wrong.

No, he's entirely correct in this, where the vast majority of Canadians are concerned. While the mission was marginally supported at the beginning -- which, let's remember, began the month after 9/11, when emotions were still high and the thinking muddled -- it is today unpopular in each and every section of this country, including Alberta. It's because people know when they're being lied to. Some are capable of living the lie... obviously... but most people aren't.

And to say it's "the same kind of tribalistic..." is juvenile psychological projection at best, barely concealed contempt...

It would only be projection if the sentiments of which I disdain were, in fact, attitudes of my own; I can assure you, they are not. As for it being barely conceal contempt, on that score, you're on the mark. I do find the celebration of needless death abroad, both of our soldiers and their civilians, contemptible. Such people succumb to the basest, most reptilian of aspects of human nature, and we've made it thus far through the nuclear age utterly in spite of them. God only knows if we'll survive them another 60 years of such thinking; it won't be without effort.

The mission is in aid of imperialism; the hegemonistic tendencies of the West, and particularly the Anglosphere, to maintain control in areas of energy production and distribution. Afghanistan took the brunt because we knew Osama bin Laden was there; people who demanded military action (rather than the due process of which only "white" countries are apparently deserving), would not have accepted any other action... though the record quite clearly shows the immediate preferred target of the Bush Administration was Iraq, right from the start.

As for jingoism, I too, have anecdotes to tell. I worked with a guy who was gung-ho on the mission. "They attacked my way of life," was how he put it. Let's deconstruct the logic of that statement forensically. "They." Who are "they" in the context of Canadian action? By and large, "they" are the civilians in Afghanistan (and, for the US and UK, Iraq), who are paying the price in tens of thousands of deaths that would not have occurred without the invasion; in the lost industry, poverty, income, and thus access to decent food and medicine they provide; in a ruined infrastructure that, far from being rebuilt, has been given daily poundings for years. Actually, the "they" were, in fact, men from our good buddy Saudi Arabia. Rather than deal with the Saudis, though, we've attacked proxy nations that had nothing to do with 9/11, whatsoever, aside from happening to be A) where Osama hung his hat, and B), countries with just scads of oil, or the potential to pipeline it to friendly ports, avoiding troublesome neighbours (interesting that Iran seems to be next...), and C) full of brown people who don't think, believe, or talk like us, and so are unfortunately discountable as human beings by those in power: witness their blithe demotion to "collateral damage" in the Western press.

So... in an act of blowback resulting from decades of US interference and misconduct in the Middle East, a handful of Saudi men fly planes into two buildings in New York and one in Washington, and as a result, people in Toronto think it's just dandy for Canadian soldiers to go off and help kill thousands of people in Afghanistan (and get killed themselves in the process), effectively facilitating the murder of hundreds of thousands more in Iraq by freeing up troops to serve there. All this is celebrated by some here at home, trumped up as "nation building" and "democratization" in much the same way as the Boer War once was, but we are meant to understand this is not jingoism, not imperialism, not something ugly we'd left behind 50 years ago after wallowing in it for centuries. No, memories aren't that short -- or shouldn't be. Canadians... most Canadians, but clearly not all... know it for what it is when they see it, and that's why support for the war is low and getting lower by the month. If it weren't for fear of being deemed unpatriotic by the sort of people who've turned "support our troops" from something everyone could get behind into a mindless mantra for supporting the continued torture of a "failed state" that's never been given more than a generation or two of peace to get its act together in hundreds of years, you would see even more of this more truly Canadian ethic, and voiced more loudly.

If these people weren't our enemies in 2001 when we invaded them, vast numbers of them surely are by now, and I can hardly blame them. It will only be by the grace of God we don't ourselves reap the whirlwind of our own actions there.

To clarify: I was referring in the abstract to the celebration of jingoism, not the Afghan mission in particular. My point is that it is a distortion of history to say that Canadians have never celebrated military achievements in the past, or never will again should the occasion arise.

"I do find the celebration of needless death abroad, both of our soldiers and their civilians, contemptible."

You still don't get it. The people on those bridges paying homage to the soldiers aren't celebrating death. You may think they are, but it doesn't make it so. Why don't you join them some time and actually ask them how they feel rather than judge them from a safe distance? But I suspect that it's easier for you to take solace in the base, unjustified assumptions you have about people who don't completely share your worldview. You wouldn't be one of those people who stupidly refuse to wear a poppy because you feel it "celebrates death", are you? Because if you are, then you're even more ignorant than your posts make you out to be.

"The mission is in aid of imperialism"

Ah yes, the old leftist, anti-western canard reveals itself, the classic argument for doing nothing, which other base, two-faced lying hypocrites like you conveniently disregard when advocating for intervention in, say, Darfur. So when *prior* to 9/11 (as Lawrence Wright's book makes clear), the Taliban was executing female teachers and whatnot, these people meant nothing to you. Would advocating on their behalf then have constituted imperialism? Or is it only imperialism when it's an American-led, NATO approved and UN sanctioned mission? Or do you have problems with those organizations too? Did you oppose the NATO bombing of Kosovo as well? Or is the only instance of death of others palatable to you when western nations ignore them, only to leap into your "anti-imperialism" schtik when, *gasp*, it's the evil Americans leading the charge to stop it? Bottom line is, what would you have done as an alternative? Shake hands with Mullah Omar, Jack Layton-style, and hope for the best?

"Afghanistan took the brunt because we knew Osama bin Laden was there"

Brilliant. First intelligent thing you've said thus far.

"though the record quite clearly shows the immediate preferred target of the Bush Administration was Iraq, right from the start"

Nice try, trying to conflate the issue here with a red herring, and you know it. Of course, when it's the *other* side trying to conflate the two, you would, naturally, call them on it. Stick to the issue.

"I worked with a guy who was gung-ho on the mission"

You worked with a *guy*. What guy? Was he a soldier? A policy analyst, what? A fellow stock guy? I thought this kind of argumentation left the forum along with miketoronto and his cousins in Philly.

"By and large, "they" are the civilians in Afghanistan (and, for the US and UK, Iraq), who are paying the price in tens of thousands of deaths that would not have occurred without the invasion"

If you really and truly believe this, if you *really* believe that without outside intervention there wouldn't be an equal number of deaths, if not more, due to the Taliban and other elements in a country already in a state of pretty-much perpetual civil war, then you're hopeless. Again, my question to you is, what was the alternative? Walk away from a country known for harbouring terrorists, and run by a genocidal regime that destroys world heritage sites and had *deliberately* targeted a large section of its population for execution? Would your conscience be salved then, or is it truly as sanctimonious and hypocritical as it's appearing? Again, do you only care about the deaths of other people only when the "Anglosphere" is somehow involved, even if indirectly and despite measures taken to prevent them? Do you really hate the west that much, or would you rather have, say, Russia and France fill the void? Think Putin's boys would show as much restraint and care in their operations as the Canadians and the Brits?

"Rather than deal with the Saudis, though, we've attacked proxy nations that had nothing to do with 9/11, whatsoever, aside from happening to be A) where Osama hung his hat, and B), countries with just scads of oil, or the potential to pipeline it to friendly ports, avoiding troublesome neighbours (interesting that Iran seems to be next...), and C) full of brown people who don't think, believe, or talk like us, and so are unfortunately discountable as human beings by those in power: witness their blithe demotion to "collateral damage" in the Western press."

Point a): not bad, most people will say we *should* have gone after Saudi, no argument there, but for example, aside from a post-Monika cum shot missile strike on the Sudan, not much was done there. Mind you Osama *was* expelled after the west, via other Arab nations, leaned on the Sudanese after the embassy bombings in 1998. That damn Anglosphere again...and Iran? Not even close, much as the Chomsky crowd *wants* it to happen. And let's be clear, Afghanistan had *scads* to do with 9/11 insofar as it was the cockpit within which Osama, Zawahiri and others were able to train their operatives. It's like arguing during WWII we shouldn't have invaded Germany via France because France had nothing to do with the invasion of Poland. Point b) The old blood for oil argument. Fine, yes, lean on that crutch if you will, but consider this: do you really think that if bin Laden was hiding in, say, Pakistan (which he might...it's actually Pakistan that's on the next hit list) that efforts wouldn't have been focused there? Or Sudan, if he was still there? Again, I agree with you on the Saudi point, and many analyists actually *resent* Bush and co for *not* going after them. But that wrong does not, of itself, lend credence to your argument. It's a non-sequiter at best. c) Well, given you've already tarred large numbers of people with one brush, not surprising you'd assume that all western foreign policy is white-supremicist based. Clearly your mind operates in the most simple, didactic terms, so nothing I can say will make you deviate from that. Just remember though that when you chomp at the bit at someone for stereotyping vizimins, you and that person are essentially looking at reflections of one another, mentally speaking.

"people in Toronto think it's just dandy for Canadian soldiers to go off and help kill thousands of people in Afghanistan (and get killed themselves in the process), effectively facilitating the murder of hundreds of thousands more in Iraq by freeing up troops to serve there"

Couldn't help yourself, could you? Once again conflating the two. Going back to Chretien's original deployment of JTF2 to Afghanistan, it was always, *always* made clear, through Liberal and Conservative governments, that Canadian deployment to Afghanistan had nothing to do with Iraq. Nothing, zilch, zero. The only ones joining the two are people like you who didn't want *any* kind of action taken, at all, due to vague resentment and hostility of *any* sort of western intervention in *any* third world country, for reasons I suspect going back to cold-war era Soviet intervention in said (ahem, Afghanistan) countries. You wave this anti-imperialism argument like some blunderbuss, thinking it applies to every situation at every time, when it doesn't. It's a clumsy, faulty, and extremely limited lens through which to examine world politics, but for small, lazy minds trapped in a linear, doctrinaire mode of thinking.

"much the same way as the Boer War once was"

What relevance does this have? Apples. Oranges. Look into it.

"not something ugly we'd left behind 50 years ago"

What does this mean? 50 years ago we were in the thick of it, in Europe, in Korea, in the Sinai, operating under UN and NATO auspices. Now, back then, you would probably would have been one of those on the fringes of the CCF advocating withdrawl from both, which is fine if you want to adopt a morally vacuous neutrality (and I'm sure Kim il Sung would have thanked you for it. The Soviets too, for that matter.)

"supporting the continued torture of a "failed state" that's never been given more than a generation or two of peace to get its act together in hundreds of years"

That sounds to me like you really don't care about the development of Afghanistan as long as countries like the US, Canada and others aren't involved with it. Are you advocating withdrawl? Are you advocating we do nothing? Just come out and say it then. At least have the honesty to do that, because all you've done is skirt the issue here. Come out and say, I don't give a shit about what happens to that country because it was a mess before, will be again, only I can say we have no blood on our hands and am content to letting the Taliban, or some other group of nutbars that will fill the void do their thing, but hey, I'm not cool with "imperialism" and so I can feel all nice and smug that the tens of thousands of people who will *still* die for an Islamic death state at least didn't do so at the hands of Canadians. Well, fine and dandy then. I invite you, at the next procession along the 401, to present that argument to those on the bridge.

I don't understand this pathetic and constant need on the part of some Canadians to constantly compare and contrast this country to the US, and who fail to realize that the irony of this is that in doing so they are actually allowing themselves - and Canada in the process - to be controlled by, and indeed 'defined' by what the US chooses to be for or about. In other words, the US defines itself, thereby defining us in the process... so the notion that Canada cannot openly celebrate its 'heros' or its war-dead or its military valour because that is somehow something exclusive to, and thereby representative of America, and thereby 'unCanadian' is so completely ridiculous as to be pathetic. Try watching the Bastille Day parade in beautiful old, enlightened and liberal, 'gay' Paris as the rows and rows of tanks, soldiers and various other machines of death parade by Napolean's arch... I guess the french are only being 'American'?

Conflating Canada's obligations in Afghanistan with the US farce in Iraq is wrong, and rightfully we opted out of that nonesense. Afghanistan was a country harbouring terrorists, allowing them to train and plan and strike against the US, who last time I checked are still our ally. I'm not a fan of Bush - in fact I hate him beyond words - or what he is doing to the US people and country, but if Canada were attacked in a way similar to 911 I would sincerely hope that our allies in NATO - including the U.S.A. - would honour its obligations to us too.

Conflating Canada's obligations in Afghanistan with the US farce in Iraq is wrong, and rightfully we opted out of that nonesense. Afghanistan was a country harbouring terrorists, allowing them to train and plan and strike against the US, who last time I checked are still our ally.

If your raison d'etre for our being in Afghanistan is that we are an ally of the United States, why, then, are we excused from the "farce" of Iraq? Certainly the alliance was Britain's reason for joining it... I don't believe you can have it both ways. If you're prepared to pat us on the back for not joining in the bloodying of Iraq, I'm prepared to condemn our involvement in the savaging of Afghanistan for the same reason. Either we are obliged by our alliance and failed in 2003, or we are an independent nation that chose foolishly in 2001; it's one or the other. It's nice to blame Afghanistan and say they had it coming, but this assumes they knew where Osama bin Laden was, which was a prerequisite for extraditing him in the first place. We didn't even give them six days; we've been there six years. ...Where is he?

if Canada were attacked in a way similar to 911 I would sincerely hope that our allies in NATO - including the U.S.A. - would honour its obligations to us too.

First of all, Afghanistan didn't attack the United States. Neither did Iraq. If Osama bin Laden was in Afghanistan, the US refused to present that evidence when Afghanistan requested it; this is, in fact, a requirement of international law: an obligation on Afghanistan and the United States both... with the US refused to honour. Had it been another country, such as one in Western Europe, or at least one sufficiently armed to dissuade the United States from attacking, that evidence would have been tendered. So the attack on Afghanistan was nothing but a cynical demonstration that white countries and countries with nukes have sovereignty; none other need apply.

Secondly, Canada isn't the kind of country that would invite an attack like the one that occurred on September 11th... at least, it wasn't till recently. Anyone who doubts that has forgotten the Canadian kidnapped in Lebanon last year who was released, forthwith, to the French embassy when his abductors learned he was Canadian, not American as they had presumed. That's the international reputation we have built up over the past 50 years that we are squandering today, clinging to the coattails of a failing empire.

Anyone who doubts that has forgotten the Canadian kidnapped in Lebanon last year who was released, forthwith, to the French embassy when his abductors learned he was Canadian, not American as they had presumed.

how pathetic. not only is our canadian dollar worth less that the americans, so are our canadian hostages.

i could just imagine......

"what! another canadian? god damn it ahmed!! bring him back where you got him from and get me an american one. this is just like that time you put canadian quarters in the laundry machine and almost got us thrown out of the building before we could blow it up"

;)

Political discussions are boring. And speaking of Boer-ing, maybe we ought to de-memorialize earlier wars of dubious reasoning...

The mission is in aid of imperialism; the hegemonistic tendencies of the West, and particularly the Anglosphere, to maintain control in areas of energy production and distribution. Afghanistan took the brunt because we knew Osama bin Laden was there; people who demanded military action (rather than the due process of which only "white" countries are apparently deserving), would not have accepted any other action... though the record quite clearly shows the immediate preferred target of the Bush Administration was Iraq, right from the start.

Lone Primate, what will the West gain in terms of energy production in Afghanistan? Is there anything at all to acquire in terms of material or markets from this country?

Going beyond the more tired portions of leftist analysis, would it have been better off to leave the Afghan people in the hands of the Taliban? Because if I recall correctly, there were a fair number of people on the left demanding some sort of action against the Taliban in that country due to their inhuman treatment of women and utter intolerance with dissent. Now that something is being done, there are calls for the removal of all troops and personel on the charge that their presence is imperialism.

Considering the state of that country, there is a high probability that if the troops leave quickly, and the present government falls, something akin to the Taliban could very well make a return. Is that possibility better for the Afghan people, or is the attempt to introduce a degree of stability and aid into that country so contemptible on all counts that it is better to simply sacrifice the Afghan people to such a fate?

the only problem i have with the war in afghanistan is that canada is cleaning up someones else's mess. our troops are doing an important mission but the burden seems to be too much on their backs. judging by the americans involvement in this area in the '80's, they broke it, they should fix it, at least to a higher degree. it would be nice if the americans could give our military some better equipment as a token of thanks for our services or at least stop screwing us over with our northern claims.

Back