39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

daveto

Member Bio
Reaction score
I check the following site.

http://www.canequity.com/

A week ago, it listed best rates at 3.54%, and now at 3.99%. The big five have moved from 3.95% to 4.55%.

2/3s of canadian mortgages are 5-year fixed. The next few months will show whether the recent market strength has been purely cheap money fueled, or whether it has legs.

Our pipeline has dried up so quick in the past 3 weeks that i would be really surprised if the decrease in month over month sales is not 20-30%. A lot of first time buyers that wanted to buy, have bought in the past few months so we might go back to some pretty horrific numbers going into the summer and fall. With rates rising fast (we're monitoring the bond market closely and there's no slowing down in the past few days), it looks like rates will continue to go up. Variable will once again be Prime + 1 plus in the near future if we keep going down this path. Higher rates may be a reason for the slowdown but i think the purging of first time buyers that have jumped in the ocean of home ownership in the past few months may be a biggest reason. Hopefully there's a lifeline come winter of 2009 for these people ......

Could there be some pressure in the old boy's network coming from the government and/or central bank to contain lending rate increases regardless of bond yields? Because fast rising consumer rates would undermine the position and direction of the central bank which has essentially set rates at zero.

A week ago, it listed best rates at 3.54%, and now at 3.99%. The big five have moved from 3.95% to 4.55%.

that does appear to be a marked increase. my rate is tied directly to prime and is up for renewal this coming November.

Our pipeline has dried up so quick in the past 3 weeks that i would be really surprised if the decrease in month over month sales is not 20-30%. A lot of first time buyers that wanted to buy, have bought in the past few months so we might go back to some pretty horrific numbers going into the summer and fall. With rates rising fast (we're monitoring the bond market closely and there's no slowing down in the past few days), it looks like rates will continue to go up. Variable will once again be Prime + 1 plus in the near future if we keep going down this path. Higher rates may be a reason for the slowdown but i think the purging of first time buyers that have jumped in the ocean of home ownership in the past few months may be a biggest reason. Hopefully there's a lifeline come winter of 2009 for these people ......

nub question, where do you go to look at day to day bond rates? (canadian)

Could there be some pressure in the old boy's network coming from the government and/or central bank to contain lending rate increases regardless of bond yields? Because fast rising consumer rates would undermine the position and direction of the central bank which has essentially set rates at zero.

There's nothing the gov't can do because the bond yield is the benchmark value for setting the lender's Mortgage Back Security coupon rates (which in turn allows lenders to continue funding mortgages). If the spread between the bond yields (MBS coupon rates) and the Mortgage Rates narrows to less than 1.5% (could be more or less depending on the lender's cost of funding) then the lenders will be losing money and they might as just well stop funding any more mortgages.

Last edited:
Long-term mortgage rates on the rise

Banks' borrowing costs rising on bond market

http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/article/648238

June 10, 2009
Comments on this story (13)
RITA TRICHUR

Soaring bond yields have set the stage for a second round of interest rate hikes on residential mortgages in about a week.

After nudging rates higher on longer-term mortgages last Wednesday, Toronto-Dominion Bank yesterday raised borrowing costs on its five-year, fixed-rate loan by 40 basis points to 5.85 per cent, effective today.

Last week, TD and the other banks increased rates on five-year, fixed-rate mortgages by 20 basis points to 5.45 per cent.

While no major competitor had followed TD's move by late yesterday, experts suggested higher rates are likely inevitable because banks are facing higher borrowing costs on the bond market. Banks tap the bond market to finance mortgages because they lend out more money than they attract through deposits.

"We don't have a fully matched book and I would guess that none of the Canadian banks have a fully matched book in terms of deposits matching loans," said Joan Dal Bianco, vice-president of real estate secured lending at TD Canada Trust.

While mortgage rates rose slightly last week, that move was insufficient to offset the bank's higher costs because bond yields have climbed higher since then.

"And unfortunately, we're now having to cover that gap, or at least close it a little bit," Dal Bianco said.

When asked if consumers should expect more mortgage rate increases, she replied: "I think we're going to see, over the next year, lots of changes as the economy starts showing positive signs."

The sharp spike in bond yields is a global phenomenon and the rise in Canadian yields has been milder compared with other countries, said Doug Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Capital Markets.

The main reason that yields are rising is because the bond market is beginning to price in the prospect of an economic recovery later this year or next year, he said.

"I guess that's the good news part of the story. The bad news is that there is actually a cost for the economy in terms of raising the cost of money for some borrowers."

To a lesser degree, longer-term yields are also rising because the bond market is worried about the future prospects for inflation as governments around the world issue massive amounts of debt to stimulate economic growth.

Porter, however, also noted that home sales have "perked up" a bit in the past couple of months, fuelling more consumer demand for mortgages. "That's probably played a small role in this rise in mortgage rates as well," he said.

While TD is experiencing increased demand for mortgages, Dal Bianco insisted that played no role in the rate change. "It is strictly the bond market," she said.

Mark Chandler, a senior fixed income analyst at RBC Capital Markets, said long-term mortgage rates are still at near-historic lows.

"The hope that you can do better than that – or even maintain that for an extended period of time – that may be hoping for a little too much, really."

I am at a prime -0.75% , right now. I have to do some math to figure out when the best rate to lock in is. It's like foregoing savings now for possible future costs. It may be a problem when it hits 8-10% rates.

I am at a prime -0.75% , right now. I have to do some math to figure out when the best rate to lock in is. It's like foregoing savings now for possible future costs. It may be a problem when it hits 8-10% rates.

At prime - 0.75 variable, it sounds like you're better off staying with your variable bc of the discount.
What is the bank 'prime' at your financial institution?

The BOC has already indicated they are ready to keep rates steady until 2010 Q2, but where it will go from there is questionable bc of the huge amounts of money in the system, which is very inflationary.

2.25%, yeah exactly inflation is what im worried about, might be too soon to worry about it though.

At prime - 0.75 variable, it sounds like you're better off staying with your variable bc of the discount.
What is the bank 'prime' at your financial institution?

The BOC has already indicated they are ready to keep rates steady until 2010 Q2, but where it will go from there is questionable bc of the huge amounts of money in the system, which is very inflationary.

MBS, interesting and I guess that would hold true still in Canada. However in places like Britain or the US where banks are effectively nationalized I don't think you could discount the concept of the central government at least temporarily forcing the banks to lend without profit.

Back