News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

If it was taller and slimmer, it could possibly achieve the same density without destroying so much heritage. It currently looks like a glass ogre hunched among the corpses of its victims.

Maybe we can hope that this is just the opening gambit? Maybe the developer gave this awful proposal to wring some height allowances out of city council?

I'd be fine with a slimmer tower and more height with a proviso that it be built within the existing structures and restoration of same where identified, similar to the brilliant FIVE proposal.

I worked at The Mango Restaurant at 580 Church in the late 90's. I believe that half of the semi was once owned by the Robert Simpson family founder of the Simpsons Department store chain. (Any historians that know better, please inform me.)

The story goes that there is a ghost of a woman that haunts the second and third floors above what is Fuzion now.. Of course, as all urban legends go, she is very young and dressed in a bridal gown. Some poor soul who died on her wedding day and is still searching for her groom.

I never saw what she was wearing, but on more than one occasion after closing time, while I was all alone in the office on the second floor cashing out the day's receipts, I saw and heard someone walk by on the second floor landing and ascend the stairs.

As I recall, she did not take kindly to change. Whenever something large was moved or we painted a wall in a new colour, she made her displeasure known by bursting a water pipe, or repeatedly turning on the fire alarm during dinner, or killing the power at the most inopportune times.

I offer this little tale to let you know that no matter what the project looks like at this point, she will not stand for crap and make it most difficult to proceed without improvements first.

:D

Your story will no doubt make quite the splash at the 519 meeting next Thursday - I hope many of you will be there - UrbanToronto in attendance!

Sadly 42, I moved away from my hometown four years ago and am writing this from Ottawa. I was born in Scarborough, grew up in North York and moved downtown in the late 80's. I would love to attend that meeting (as I lived on Gloucester around the corner from this project for 8 of my 20 years downtown Toronto and will always consider that my home) but alas I cannot.

Can the developers keep it as charming as this?

596s.jpg

I saw a sticker on the application sign on the site that said there would be a neighbourhood meeting at 519 next Thursday, June 17th. at 7 pm. This didn't look like an official ward sanctioned meeting, but could be.

7 PM tonight at the 519 - come one come all!

This will give you an idea...

I say... ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

4709650267_2f9a484415_b.jpg

(Originals courtesy of the above two posts)

This development is absurd. This successful charming urban block is going to become sterile, antiseptic, and boring. We have south of Front for that already, we don't need it elsewhere.

Agreed, it looks absolutely ridiculous. Of course, this just means we want the city to remain a museum. ;)

Agreed, it looks absolutely ridiculous. Of course, this just means we want the city to remain a museum. ;)

I think this deserves one of my super-gay eye rolls.

The residents need to choose which heritage they want to fight for. They have a real ability to save some of it, but won't likely save it all. I think they should go for the Church Street homes, as keeping those in intact will retain the low-scale feel of the Village on Church. After all, the Village has plenty of high rises - like everyone's favorite, Vaseline Towers - that you barely notice from Church.

Meeting regarding 596 Church Street Proposal
by Don Beelik

A well structured informational meeting was organized by residents of the affected properties on Thursday June 17th at the 519 Community Centre. Its purpose was to take questions from concerned neighbourhood residents and share information the organizers had on the proposed project. Organizers were thrilled with the turnout, which left for standing room only in the 519's second largest space, indicating considerable interest in this project. The City Planner, Developer and Councillor Kyle Rae were invited but were unable to attend as they were out of town, on vacation or didn't have enough notice.

From the outset the organizers made it clear that they are not anti-development, they simply want to present the concerns of residents to the developer to help \better integrate the proposed condominium into the street-scape and neighbourhood. Many concerns were raised such as height, shadows cast on both neighbouring properties and Cawthra Park, the design and scale of the the condo, and relocation of existing residents of the rental buildings to be torn down.

It was noted that although a proposal was being presented by the developer to the Church Street BIA on Friday June 18th for endorsement, there was very little information circulated to the residents of the affected properties and further, there are no public meetings scheduled to be held until after the fall elections.

One gentleman who has been involved with several other residents groups, including the organizers against the of the Nicholas condominiums redevelopment at St. Nicholas & St. Mary Streets, gave the overflowing audience a chronology of how these projects typically move through City Hall. He also advised the group that many other properties have apparently been bought up in the Church-Wellesley Village area with plans to redevelop them in the future.

The organizers seemed very focused and driven to work with the City and Developer to come to an acceptable arrangment that would be in keeping with the feel of the neighbourhood. Unfortuatnely there was very little discussion about getting the affected historic properties designated. All buildings are on the City's list of historical properities but most have not been officially designated historical status therefore they are not protected against demolition. The organizers promised follow-ups to attendees by email, further gatherings and also talked of forming a Church-Wellesley Village Neighbourhood Residents Association.

Please consider helping the residents of the Church and Wellesley neighbourhood be heard at tomorrow's city council regarding this project by signing this petition http://www.facebook.com/kristyn.wong...6470109&ref=ts . The city has decided that a community meeting regarding this issue be postponed until after the election... we, as residents, have a right to know what's going on in our community now and decisions surrounding this project will be made without our input long before the public meeting will ever be held. We will present this petition at tomorow's city council meeting... strength is in numbers and we'd appreciate your support.

Back