I have heard that some people have moved into the King building, and I have seen people coming out as well. I have not checked the halls other than the lobby. I would expect that the halls are not done yet; usually they do that at the very end because people moving in can damage the walls and mess up the carpet.

you can judge for yourself...

9641a42_20.jpeg

4168cl6_20.jpeg

32435kh_20.jpeg

8050i5f_20.jpeg

5594377_20.jpeg

0193ij1_20.jpeg

Wheee! Each unit gets a randomly placed concrete pillar? Lucky! I bet this was not on the sales center plans. :rolleyes:

Wheee! Each unit gets a randomly placed concrete pillar? Lucky! I bet this was not on the sales center plans. :rolleyes:

bet it was ...

fwih, full disclosure of pillars have been standard practice since the merchandise building fiasco

re: interior pics ... looks good JayBee but of course, we're not up close for better inspections.

btw, are these pics of 1 or 2 units ... some look like they have dark floors and granite, then others look much lighter ?!?

with units being so small, i can't understand why developers don't maximize storage and provide cabinetry right up to the ceiling instead of that gap, which look like almost 1 foot

Just moved in over the past week and thought I'd share some personal experiences for those up & comers:

Process for getting the keys - it was a bad experience and not sure where to "point the finger" (myself? my lawyers? Freed lawyers? Freed's reps?). All I know is that once my lawyers filed the paper work on the Friday (move in date was the following Monday), I didn't get the keys until Wednesday 5pm. Be extremely cautious when booking movers or any activities on that day. It's not as simple as walking in, picking up your keys, and entering you're new home. In short, I had given my lawyers ample notice of my occupancy date back in December, followed up with them the Thursday prior, they advised that they did not receive any communication from Freed's lawyers, and then began the fun...basically don't expect any fast results.

PDI list compared to Move In - I had about 38 items on the PDI ranging from scratches on the kitchen counter to certain custom layout features not adhered to. When I moved in, I'd say for the most part all the little ones were taken care of (nicks, scratches, etc.) but the big ones are still outstanding. I followed up with the customer service rep and there was a bit of confusion regarding what was processed during my initial contract (custom features) versus what was selected during the finishes selection. A bit frusterating considering it was clearly mapped out on the floor plan and documented on all documents. Now I have to deal with construction to two bathrooms and potentially the kitchen as well.

Quality
- The quality of the floors and the cabinets (upgrades) are fantastic! We selected some standards, but mostly upgrades and all look equally top notch. I do caution those who upgraded to high gloss cabinets to look for cracks. I found one post PDI that is barely noticable, but it's at the corner of the cabinet approx 1 inch long....virtually invisable in dim lighting given the standard fixture provided.
- The pillars are nicely finished with trim on the bottom. The ceilings could have been a bit better, but sometimes "rustick" is modern.
- The suite door is nice...heavy, but it's meant to reduce drafts. The unfortunate thing is that the hallway side of the door is scratched & dented and it's not just my unit either. I'm not sure how Freed will respond to this.
- Blinds (for those who purchased with Freed) look amazing (I purchased charcoal gray 1%) and the installation was done professionally.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchase (location, unit size, finishes), but the experience has been very stressful mainly because I had higher expectations with customer service from Freed. I know most trades are outsourced but to move in to a unit that still looked like it was under construction, plus having to fight for my key, leaves me with a lot of bitterness. My advice to those still waiting is to plan for many issues and be happy if/when there are few.

are they going to register the King building first? or are they going to wait until the Bathurst building is occupied to register the entire project? will the Bathurst building have a different address?

Moved in to King building. It's still heavily under construction. Just installed the microwaves yesterday.
The security guard seemed to think everything will be mostly finished by March or so.

Process for getting the keys - it was a bad experience

I got the keys right on the revised occupancy date. Didn't have any issues there.

Just moved in over the past week and thought I'd share some personal experiences for those up & comers:

PDI list compared to Move In - I had about 38 items on the PDI ranging from scratches on the kitchen counter to certain custom layout features not adhered to. When I moved in, I'd say for the most part all the little ones were taken care of (nicks, scratches, etc.) but the big ones are still outstanding. I followed up with the customer service rep and there was a bit of confusion regarding what was processed during my initial contract (custom features) versus what was selected during the finishes selection. A bit frusterating considering it was clearly mapped out on the floor plan and documented on all documents. Now I have to deal with construction to two bathrooms and potentially the kitchen as well.

Illy...appreciate you taking the time to share your experience moving in to this building. I was wondering if you can elaborate a little bit regarding the "custom features" you ordered with the unit and what went wrong? Reason I ask is I completely changed my floor plan when I purchased my unit back in 2009, but when I recently asked for a copy of my floor plan they "accidentally" sent me the copy of my old floor plan and I had to tell them I changed my floor plan before they gave me a copy of the proper floor plan.

Ever since then I have been skeptical as to what goes on with their customer service behind the scenes. Until I actually see my unit there is always going to be a seed of doubt with regards to them constructing the new floor plan and not the old one.

Hi Starks, no problem:
In regards to the custom work it was for an extended countertop in the ensuite bathroom. What was installed instead (noted at PDI & no change when I moved in) was a single countertop with standard vanity mirror. It's on the PDI and clarified with Freed Reps so I am expecting this to be resolved. Another was to have shelving installed in the main bathroom, but this was not done so it's on the PDI.

Additionally, I re-modelled the kitchen to exclude the fridge and fill/replace with cabinetry in place of where the fridge was supposed to be. This was completed, but was not followed according to the plan/drawings: The wall, where the fridge was originally, is cut/indented to account for a fridge being there and existing cabinets above the fridge were supposed to be deeper than the other cabinets (compared to those above the sink). When installing the cabinets in place of the fridge, the cabinets "should" have been as deep to fill the wall indent....however, this was not the case. The cabinets front & back were flush with the other cabinets; thus leaving a gap between the wall (indent) to the back of the cabinets. It's not something I've indicated on the PDI or 30 day as I didn't want to deal with a whole renovation in my living space (i.e. they'd have to rip out the cabinets; counter top; electrical, etc,).

Those were the biggest of the bunch (other than the terrace not being completed), but in the end I just have to be patient and hope there's progress. I'm totally drained from just trying to get my keys, let alone trying to get a new vanity! ;)

Last edited:
Does anybody know how soon the PDI's typically take place before the closing date? I actually went through this process with my current condo but can't seem to remember as it was almost 5 years ago...

Back