8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
The latest amazing design by @MoDA, discovered earlier today by @Colinfill. CMLC released an RFP back in the summer, looks like they may have selected this one? The latest update on the EVMP shows this block (block N) as still available though, so… unsure.

4cd5b0a1-e4cf-4444-b6ee-b9e8f4521eee-jpeg.366323

7600fb91-a6cc-4e69-973d-271a8395d6e2-jpeg.366319

6d27a31e-58d7-4fea-9414-47e3e3c51859-jpeg.366324

3abc9528-6162-47c4-b4bf-36da9ac1b8f2-jpeg.366321

2143816e-bee2-42db-8851-968df1efa2bf-jpeg.366318

Very cool - unfortunately, I don't think this concept was selected. Hopefully I'm wrong.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!

Incredible design

No word on use / ownership?
It’ll almost certainly be condos, especially with those level of finishes and floor-heights. As well as the location.

The base will be entirely retail save for the residential lobby, loading zone, and parking garage entrance/exit.

No word on developer yet, but if MoDA had the balls to release the render, I imagine they won the RFP contest that the CMLC put out in August.

Unfortunately for us, CMLC is not moving ahead with our design proposal. Another scheme/developer team has been chosen. We're very proud of the work we produced on this one and felt it would be a shame not to share it on social media! It's great that someone picked it up and started a thread here and I'm curious to see what the successful proponent's design looks like. We can't divulge who our developer partner is, but they are very motivated to find another site to build something of this scale and quality. Stay tuned...

Thanks for the update! Sad that it didn't get picked as the design, but happy to hear the developer is still interested in doing something at another site.

Thanks for letting us know. Very disappointing but I’m sure y’all will crush it once you get the other site.

I've been telling everyone that will listen that the talent to do high quality architecture on important projects resides right here in Calgary. Additionally, there are individuals who work in design firms here that bring absolutely tons of international design experience from around the world. In these times, when funding and money should stay within the Alberta borders to support local (and not just products; services too), its a shame that "starchitects" are still preferred for some of the projects going on. Local talent can more than capably do these projects, if given the chance, the resources, and the trust.

How does CMLC not pick this design? Whatever they chose better blow this away or else they just lost a ton of credibility in my books.

The renders do look very cool. But it would be a jungle of thick vertical beams for pedestrians walking by -- the one pedestrian level render is basically just a picture of a cool garden that could be planted in front of anywhere, with the building an afterthought / impenetrable barricade. The architecture is very cool, but it's probably average urban design at best, and that's given the crap standards of urban design in this city.

Plus, buildings are also 1). built, 2). paid for, and 3). used by occupants as well as being 4). rendered and 5). looked at from across the street. It's possible that the winner is better at one of the first three categories even if it's probably not going to be better at the last two.

Back