Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Aug 17, 2020

20200817_111302.jpg
20200817_111350.jpg

Quick way to find out: have someone else pull up Google Street View for you.

70SpadinaRdGSV.jpg

I'm curious to see how much rents were jacked up to "validate" these renovation costs. I'm sure we'll hear of some horror stories soon enough unfortunately.

Well we have all seen what happens when buildings are not ‘validared’ By an upgrade.

I suspect the building was more or less cleared out. This one, and the one directly south, were completely gutted over the past year. I walk past them both about once a week and over the fall and winter at this one there was tons - I mean *massive* - amounts of furniture, debris, junk, mattresses etc. constantly piled up facing Kendal. I'm pretty sure the garage was cleared out as they rebuilt it and the upper deck, and the sheer amount of debris was far above and beyond any usual month-to-month turnover. I've noticed the same at numerous buildings in that part of the Annex.

If it's just the balconies, then the residents just stay put to my understanding. Although from the anecdotes of those I know who had their balconies replaced in this manner, the noise that is generated by this procedure day in and out makes one's teeth chatter perpetually, to put it mildly...

As for what happens to the rent after the fact remains to be seen. But in my opinion, residents should be at least compensated and discounted well over a year for inconveniences that this upgrading brings.

Back