39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Riverdale Rink Rat

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Can't find a thread, so starting this to ask if anyone knows the plans here.

Looks like they're going to remove the granite like FCP's marble disappeared.

Does this mean Scotia Plaza will be next in 'maybe we shouldn't import Italian marble to Canada' cladding mistakes to get redone?

Is it possible that Scotia Plaza got stone cladding right? Consider the lack of discolouration and missing panels. Granite is a tougher stone than marble.

Maybe they just need to remove the granite to add better insulation and to address water penetration issues at this location.

Is it possible that Scotia Plaza got stone cladding right? Consider the lack of discolouration and missing panels. Granite is a tougher stone than marble.

Maybe they just need to remove the granite to add better insulation and to address water penetration issues at this location.

Quite possible -- no clue if they'll just remount the same panels after repairs or they're going to put up something completely different.

That's weird.

I checked for permits on Toronto.CA . It does say re-roofing and recladding so junctionist is probably on to something. Fingers crossed. All our heads will explode if another tower goes colorless glass.

ewirvzpCTyORq+wzrPMi1Q.jpg

From over at SSP- not an aluminum as I thought, but still granite:

TorontoDrew;8573088 said:
I was able to find renders of the re-clad and I think it does a nice job of respecting the design while updating the look a bit.

Source: https://www.wzmh.com/projects/95-wellington-street/

The recladding of this existing tower respects the original architectural vision of the surrounding Toronto Dominion Centre. Considered part of the overall complex, 95 Wellington differs significantly from the other towers in proportion, massing, and façade detailing. Clad in Bethel White granite, it complements the black steel of the iconic Mies Van De Rohe towers. The polished white granite provides a fresh, crisp, and contemporary appearance that will transform the image of the building. An accent strip of polished Atlantic Black granite blends with the existing dark bronze glass windows to create a pleasing proportion on the building façade. Design work is currently underway to update the lobby and exterior plaza to be compatible with the new exterior design.

WZMH worked closely with the building envelope consultants and the construction manager to develop the recladding’s technical details in order to maximize the efficiency of construction.. The work also included re-roofing of both sloped and flat roofs, and a new window-washing system. The building will remain fully occupied during construction.

Completion: 2012

Definitely not granite - looks like aluminum and it's being installed onto horizontal metal girts/tracks.

I haven't seen it in person. It's hard to say from the photos. It doesn't look like aluminum.

White may be peaking in popularity. In any case, it's too damn popular for it not to become increasingly unpopular. Wouldn't it be ironic if pink granite is fashionable again10 years from now and white is as cold as snow

Is this being re-clad in real stone? If so, based on earlier pix, it's wafer-thin.

Back