News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Yes, they certainly can leapfrog. But leapfrogging sort of implies a single route and that's not really what I meant, so I guess I chose the wrong word. I was trying to say that because they're buses and not restricted to a dedicated pair of rails, there is no reason why one vehicle has to impede all the others in behind - they can manouvre around as needed, which is clearly demonstrated in the pics and video from Guangzhou where multiple routes come to overlap in the same corridor/station.

Unless you can guarantee rapid movement and very little bloackage time, like say a subway, BRT has to be weighed as a legitimate alternative to LRT.

I'm not advocating anything other than considering all options rather than focus on just one way of thinking. That station simply wouldn't be possible of those buses were trams riding in sequence on a pair rails - the ability of the buses being able to move around each other is the only reason it works at all.

Considering the bellyaching here over the possible loss of turning lanes with just the addition of two LRT lanes, good luck with those four lane stations.

I am sure it would be considered even more legitimate.

Considering the bellyaching here over the possible loss of turning lanes with just the addition of two LRT lanes, good luck with those four lane stations.

5 to 6 lane stations. 4 lanes for the buses to travel on plus some width for the two platforms.

Last edited:

I am sure it would be considered even more legitimate.

This is of course working on the assumption that the only kind of BRT that we can implement is in-median. This completely ignores the other option of dedicated right-of-way, in which case 4 lane stations are very possible.

I've seen frequent leap-frogging on the 25 route. Not at busy stops like Lawrence, Eglinton, York Mills, etc. But definitely on all the lightly used stops betweeen Lawrence and the 401, when an almost empty bus will come from behind, not have anything to drop off, and get a stop ahead of the full bus, allowing it to start emptying out a bit.

Sure, but have you seen buses leapfrog each other in a BRT system? The Ottawa Transitway, for example. I have never seen route 95 buses leap-frog each other at stations, buses will queue up to enter the platform. I have been on OC express buses that queue'd up and wait for passenger at stations.

Of course it possible for buses to leapfrog each other, but it's pretty rare for buses of the same route to leap-frog each other, especially if the route is a heavily used.

This is of course working on the assumption that the only kind of BRT that we can implement is in-median. This completely ignores the other option of dedicated right-of-way, in which case 4 lane stations are very possible.

According to Ford, thats stealing lanes from a potential expressway

Of course it possible for buses to leapfrog each other, but it's pretty rare for buses of the same route to leap-frog each other, especially if the route is a heavily used.

No offense intended, but I get the feeling that you don't ride buses very often. I used to take the Steeles East route for nearly a decade and there was EXTENSIVE leapfrogging. Not just of the express buses passing the local ones, but also express buses passing express buses.

Now that I live in the San Francisco area, leapfrogging here is almost a daily event.

Of course, if you're talking about leapfrogging on a BRT system, that's something else, and something in which I don't feel quite as qualified to talk about.

Last edited:
No offense intended, but I get the feeling that you don't ride buses very often. I used to take the Steeles East route for nearly a decade and there was EXTENSIVE leapfrogging. Not just of the express buses passing the local ones, but also express buses passing express buses.

Now that I live in the San Francisco area, leapfrogging here is almost a daily event.

Of course, if you're talking about leapfrogging on a BRT system, that's something else, and something in which I don't feel quite as qualified to talk about.

I was talking about leapfrogging on a BRT system.... And I use the bus everyday.

Back