News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I'm surprised they don't open it up to other tenants. Is there something "wrong" with it?

It emptied out when Imperial Oil moved all of their head office structure to Calgary. This prospectus from DTZ Barnicke has a really good overview:

http://tinyurl.com/ykbqaf2

It seems they're taking best offer, but for tax assessment purposes the building is appraised at $63,000,010 (2008) according to MPAC. There's probably not a huge market to buy a 1950's office building at Avenue and St. Clair when you can rent space in a brand new building in the core.

The "backyard" has a ton of potential. You could cram two luxury condo towers on it. Although it's obviously factored into the price.

It looks like it is selling for about @175 per ft. Taxes of 2.61 million per year (uncapped). I have always loved this building, But I fear for it's future. It would be a shame if it was turned into condos.

I am worried about a conversion, from what I have heard from someone involved with this building.

Great article. Isn't there also an Imperial Oil Building at Front & Berkeley St where the Canadian Opera Company resides? I know that's the name of the theatre, but I was just wondering if the name reflects the historic building which was a gas company ( I believe).

my fantasy

In my fantasy world, the province would move OPG's offices from University and College to the Imperial Oil building, and convert the current OPG site to a medical research complex affiliated with the UofT, the downtown hospitals and MARS.

Great article. Isn't there also an Imperial Oil Building at Front & Berkeley St where the Canadian Opera Company resides? I know that's the name of the theatre, but I was just wondering if the name reflects the historic building which was a gas company ( I believe).
The Front Street building at Berkeley is nothing to do with Imperial Oil EXCEPT that they gave $$ to the theatre. The building used to be a Consumers' Gas facility.

Back