8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

simply Dan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just back from a quick weekend in Montréal, here are a few snaps from around downtown...

My hotel:
Mtl001.jpg

My favourite tower:
Mtl004.jpg

Mtl003.jpg

Mtl008.jpg

New condo:
Mtl005.jpg

Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum:
Mtl009.jpg

RBC:
Mtl007.jpg

Mtl006.jpg

Urban:
Mtl010.jpg

Au revoir!

Montreal is amazing but I don't think I like the base of that new condo, doesn't really seem to go well with the rest.

In all my trips to Montreal one thing that I've always liked better about Toronto is that our downtown core (I'm only referring to the finical district) seems more vibrant then theirs ... more people, more activity ... so on. Ah maybe that's just do to density though.

Nice looking hotel, what is it?

Nice looking hotel, what is it?

The Hôtel de l'Institut, 3535 rue Saint-Denis, located between the Latin Quarter and Plateau Mont-Royal, facing Carré St-Louis. Cheap chic!

My favourite tower:

Mtl003.jpg

Sad, though, that they had to lose the Windsor Hotel first before that tower could be built (the newer north wing of the Windsor Hotel is still standing, a portion of which is visible in the photo). The Windsor burned down, rather than being ignominiously demolished, but the loss is still felt.

Then again, the alibi could be that it was circa 1960, i.e. before the preservation movement went into full gear, and the Windsor wasn't (at the time) necessarily something to really rally on behalf of. It would have been different a decade and a half later, for sure...

Then again, the alibi could be that it was circa 1960, i.e. before the preservation movement went into full gear, and the Windsor wasn't (at the time) necessarily something to really rally on behalf of. It would have been different a decade and a half later, for sure...

True, had it been demolished in '57 (rather than burning down), that would be the explanation. But the explanation, although very real, doesn't make up for the loss. Many Torontonians still feel pangs of loss for the General Post Office, the Temple Building, etc. The 1950s attitudes towards Victorian architecture, and the lack of an effective preservation movement, don't make us feel any better about it.

Back