News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I have a theory on the proliferation of 'variety' stores.
They all seem to have a license to sell lottery tickets and whenever I'm visiting, the lottery sales appear to be constant.
I'll bet the commission on those sales is the greatest portion of their income.
Could this wild theory be correct?

Tobacco sales keep mot convenience stores afloat.

2598795554_706568b020.jpg

EVCCO: This store with the bay window and graffiti looks like a Philadelphia neighborhood store to me...and are the others noting the steel bars on some windows located in high-crime areas? LI MIKE

...and the rest:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evictorc/sets/72057594134007844
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that spot is in a particularly high-crime area, but a great deal of Gerrard Street, east of the river (where Ravina is located) does have a very run-down, "gritty" look to it.

The only really "high-crime" ones on the flickr page would probably be these:
1506715872_ba3d23969b.jpg
2598796398_c856b50bdc.jpg

1505842561_9ecdf3bab0.jpg

Located in Moss Park, St. Jamestown, and Parkdale, respectively.

But, of course, in Toronto "high-crime area" is relative.

goldie asked: Do variety stores get a commision on lottery ticket sales?

paraone: "as far as I know they don't receive any money from OLG. They just benefit from the increased foot traffic."

brewsterg6: "OLG pays them a percentage on every winning ticket sold... They hit it big when you do!"

goldie again: "Apparently the answer is in doubt. Is it possible that the OLG pay scale has never been made public?"

For some reason, convenience stores in pretty much any location, no matter the crime levels, tend to have bars over their windows. I often see convenience stores with bars over their windows in areas where the surrounding stores have regular windows.

goldie asked: Do variety stores get a commision on lottery ticket sales?

paraone: "as far as I know they don't receive any money from OLG. They just benefit from the increased foot traffic."

brewsterg6: "OLG pays them a percentage on every winning ticket sold... They hit it big when you do!"

goldie again: "Apparently the answer is in doubt. Is it possible that the OLG pay scale has never been made public?"

I work for a large Metro retailer. I know that when we sold a winning 649 ticket of 2 million, our take was about 10k. I'm not sure if it's a flat percent across the board on all prize amounts or lotteries, but I do know we earn on winners sold. I've never seen it published by OLG, and I'm not sure if they would with all the bad publicity going around about retailers. I doubt very much that it's enough to pay all the bills...they're still counting on you all to smoke your brains out!!

Last edited:
my mistake, having talked to the local OLG guy, yes he gets money when a winning ticket is sold there, but nothing for the losers.

ok, this is clearly not Toronto, (sadly) but such a great sign and name! Cup and Saucer on the Lower East Side is one of the most famous old greasy spoons in New York. Hand painted overhead sign probably dates back to the 1950's...

72f6bfa9.gif

484ae5ac.gif

There's still a few variety (and other) stores around TO with that similar 50s-ish store font:

1506557286_a713a2689c_z.jpg

^Sadly, this one recently got a modern make-over

Parker's Discount Variety Store

Comment of postings on page 3 Re: Parker's Variety - I grew up in the west end of Toronto (York) at 85 Priscilla Ave and spent a lot of time hanging out in Bill & Grace Parker's store and even hung there before they bought it. I made the wooden frame for the Lotto sign that stood out front. I have great memories of Bill and Grace except for the Mohawk hair cut that Bill give me in the Barber Shop above the store. The inside was very small and had a long basement with a very low ceiling that I banged my head on more then once while handling stock. Their apartment above the store was very nice and I give them a large mounted/framed photograph of a lake scene that they loved, they hung it above their sofa. Bill had a 68 Impala that I used to detail for him. I often wonder what happened to them?
Anyone remember Beck's Dinner on The south west corner of Dundas and Willard or The butcher shop on the east side of Jane Street south of Annette? I worked in the butcher shop and learned to cut neat from Bob the owner also read my first Playboy there and learned how to bet the ponies, ah the good old days. If anyone knows anything about Bill or Grace Parker please let me know.

Last edited:

Back