News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I suspect the suite number of parade is #222? I thought they weren't selling it? o_O Anyhow, if it is, there would be a lot of foot traffic because that's the entrance from the elevator to the courtyard. If it's not, then Parade might be a better deal? On the second floor, it's the courtyard, so you get a private terrace in the courtyard. Also the price is pretty good. Especially with the upgrades. It would be hard to get this kind of deal anywhere else with integrated fridge and oven, undermount sink, etc. I think there's more potential for upside than downside. If you buy Charlie, there's potential for gain, but not as much I think as Parade. Charlie area is good but costs quite a bit. Also with Parade, there's a large park and a proposed school. If you plan to live there for a few years and have kids, it might be a better area I think.

If you're looking for a higher level of the courtyard, send me a PM. I might be able to connect you to someone.

400K for a 1+1 under 700k without parking is pretty ridiculous. The view/area are better but I just think the price is just too inflated. Plus, once you get through the upgrades you'll be pushing 400K. Can't see her making THAT much of a profit here since she's purchasing at the top of the price scale for this kind of unit.

I'm not big on Cityplace, but there's no doubt that Parade interior finishes are very nice. Plus at that square footage there's room to make a pretty big profit. The foot traffic may be a bit of a pain, but it's only going to be for a few months when the weather is good.

Terraces IMO are overrated, especially the big ones.

400K for a 1+1 under 700k without parking is pretty ridiculous. The view/area are better but I just think the price is just too inflated. Plus, once you get through the upgrades you'll be pushing 400K. Can't see her making THAT much of a profit here since she's purchasing at the top of the price scale for this kind of unit.

I'm not big on Cityplace, but there's no doubt that Parade interior finishes are very nice. Plus at that square footage there's room to make a pretty big profit. The foot traffic may be a bit of a pain, but it's only going to be for a few months when the weather is good.

Terraces IMO are overrated, especially the big ones.
I agree $540 per square feet is too expensive.

However, I think big terraces are great, as long as you can BBQ on it. I had a 200ish square foot rooftop terrace and I used it often. I had a natural gas BBQ and a patio furniture up there, along with herbs and vegetables as well as various plants in pots. It was also great for entertaining guests. Mine faced east too, and I had a great view of the CN Tower.

A small terrace is not as useful, even if you can BBQ on some. (Some places don't allow it.) Just too cramped - not much use for entertaining, even if you can BBQ some burgers on it from time to time.

Last edited:
The Charlie is outrageous and she will not see any price increase for several years to come. A good way to gauge how much it's worth right now is to see how much equivalent units at the Hudson are selling for. If you don't want to get an agent, just walk into any real estate office, be polite and ask if they could look it up for you. They will.

I do think there is much more potential for upside with Parade even though your floor and courtyard facing view will make it a harder sell (hence the lower price).

To take a slightly different point of view, I wonder why you are comparing two units which are so different in terms of size, number of rooms, parking, etc. Are you over-focused on the financial aspect, and ignoring the basic question of what she actually wants to live in for lifestyle reasons? Gentle criticism: It's probably not a good decision to move in to something which is not what you really want to live in.

Charlie. Parade is just one of the 10,000+ units in cheaply built CP. Better architecture at Charlie, King and Spadina street car at your door, Queen St is so close by....

Parade is cheap? I thought it's a luxury condo? I would hardly call integrated fridge and dishwasher cheap. They have stone counters and back splash for the kitchen and main bathroom. Their shower is glass without the steel/metal fringes and they have laminate hardwood floor throughout except bedroom. (yea I know it's not the greatest but better than carpet). The toilet may be cheap, but it's easily and relatively cheap to replace. The only part missing from luxury is the 9' ceilings in the lower floors. The higher floors have 9' though.

Speaking of laminate flooring. There's some badly done ones. Specifically speaking, Neptune flooring kinda popped up. It's not glued on properly. One of the drawer handles were missing and one of the cupboard doors were missing too.

Also, the party room at Element condo had vinyl flooring. It kinda popped up too. Not sure if the contractors got cheap on glue.

prices

You guys are missing the boat. 450 PSF may be too expensive for you but it's not for the thousands of immigrants who come here each year and purchase thousands of condos.

I recently sold high-floor Murano unit at 542PSF, and most of the mid-level "standard" condos in town now average 450 PSF with units with no view (low levels) selling at 400-450PSF (P+L included).

Casa is asking 582PSF for low floors, and well over 600 PSF for high floors.

You guys are missing the boat. 450 PSF may be too expensive for you but it's not for the thousands of immigrants who come here each year and purchase thousands of condos.

Yossi, can you provide some data sources about this?

I've googled around, and the sites I've found suggest that annual immigration into the GTA is 100k. At an average family size of 3, that is only 33k immigrant families a year.

What proportion of these are buying $4-500k+ condos? 5%? 20%

Even at 20% (which seems very high to me) that is still less than 10% of the GTA's 80k annual property sales. And still only a small proportion of the 30k of new condos being built this year.

I don't work in RE, and it may be that you're entirely correct. But I'd be interested to see some supporting official data
thx

+450psf

Yossi, can you provide some data sources about this?

I've googled around, and the sites I've found suggest that annual immigration into the GTA is 100k. At an average family size of 3, that is only 33k immigrant families a year.

What proportion of these are buying $4-500k+ condos? 5%? 20%

Even at 20% (which seems very high to me) that is still less than 10% of the GTA's 80k annual property sales. And still only a small proportion of the 30k of new condos being built this year.

I don't work in RE, and it may be that you're entirely correct. But I'd be interested to see some supporting official data
thx

Hey Dave,

There's no "official" way to judge PSF b/c no builder will ever guarantee you the square footage of any condo, note that in the marketing material it'll say the sq. ft. but in the contract there are no dimensions, and you'll fins a sentence saying something like "marketing materials are not part of this contract" - basically they are doing this to avoid risks of Material Change (that's a whole other discussion thread).

Long story short, if a builder would not provide sq. footage, it never goes on MLS - actually MLS does not have a field for sq footage (don't like it myself).

But I see many, many transactions happening, mine as well as my colleagues, and as we discuss and share information we get a picture about the status of downtown's RE.

I can also tell you that a large portion of my clients are immigrants, and that is true for my colleagues as well.

We "locals" tend to underestimate the immigrants ability to purchase and their cash.

I truly believe that immigration is changing the face of Toronto's RE market and pushing the condo market to new heights (floors that is) and prices up. Those who are still stuck on the idea of a small little house downtown are naive or rich.

Just visit Hong Kong, New York, Tel-Aviv or any other major growing international hub, and you'll immediately understand the future of Toronto.

YK.

Hey Dave,

There's no "official" way to judge PSF b/c no builder will ever guarantee you the square footage of any condo, note that in the marketing material it'll say the sq. ft. but in the contract there are no dimensions, and you'll fins a sentence saying something like "marketing materials are not part of this contract" - basically they are doing this to avoid risks of Material Change (that's a whole other discussion thread).

Long story short, if a builder would not provide sq. footage, it never goes on MLS - actually MLS does not have a field for sq footage (don't like it myself).

But I see many, many transactions happening, mine as well as my colleagues, and as we discuss and share information we get a picture about the status of downtown's RE.

I can also tell you that a large portion of my clients are immigrants, and that is true for my colleagues as well.

We "locals" tend to underestimate the immigrants ability to purchase and their cash.

I truly believe that immigration is changing the face of Toronto's RE market and pushing the condo market to new heights (floors that is) and prices up. Those who are still stuck on the idea of a small little house downtown are naive or rich.

Just visit Hong Kong, New York, Tel-Aviv or any other major growing international hub, and you'll immediately understand the future of Toronto.

YK.

Yossi,

I'd asked to see some supporting official date regarding your claims about immigration providing substantial support for our local condo market at $450+ PSF

In reading your reply, may I summarize correctly that apart from your own personal client base, and what you "truly believe", you don't have any such corroborating data?

Or perhaps I misread your comment about "thousands"? I presumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that it referred to many thousands (20,000? more?). But in fairness maybe you meant 3,000? 4,000?

dt

Back