News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

As a long-term resident of Montrose and former Northlands employee I am glad to see such interest in this thread. 118 has always had enough potential to be better than it is and it's nice to see it organically regenerate without large-scale investment to date, although it would be nice to see some larger investments at the TOD sites for example...

What I'd like to see is a revival of the old streetcar system through the area (sans overhead wires) and an emphasis on affordable housing for ALL types and the purchase and revival of the old movie palaces as hybrid live theatre/movie theatre space if possible. What we need is to help foster local arts and entertainment in all its forms and lord knows that until COVID we've had a shortage of community arts spaces... Music, theatre, films, author's readings...

As a long-term resident of Montrose and former Northlands employee I am glad to see such interest in this thread. 118 has always had enough potential to be better than it is and it's nice to see it organically regenerate without large-scale investment to date, although it would be nice to see some larger investments at the TOD sites for example...

What I'd like to see is a revival of the old streetcar system through the area (sans overhead wires) and an emphasis on affordable housing for ALL types and the purchase and revival of the old movie palaces as hybrid live theatre/movie theatre space if possible. What we need is to help foster local arts and entertainment in all its forms and lord knows that until COVID we've had a shortage of community arts spaces... Music, theatre, films, author's readings...
It would be great to have the Avenue Theatre renovated to serve as a community arts space - it is just dying to be rejuvenated and is an Avenue landmark.

You and @archited are going to get along so well! 🤣 We're yet to meet someone as enthusiastic as him, regarding this part of the city.

Does anyone know if there is a plan to connect 118 Avenue through Blatchford? I think this is one of my biggest issues. I am going to suspect not since it cuts right through progressive development, but it seems like an obvious right-of-way?

Hibco reno at 95 st
2021-01-23 001.JPG

The red guys and a lady at 92 street
2021-01-23 006.JPG

What I'd like to see is a revival of the old streetcar system through the area (sans overhead wires)
That's actually a really good idea, and not only because I love streetcars. A line between 109 street and Wayne Gretzky drive would not only connect NAIT to two major TODs, but also be a lateral connection between NAIT and Coliseum LRT stations.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a plan to connect 118 Avenue through Blatchford? I think this is one of my biggest issues. I am going to suspect not since it cuts right through progressive development, but it seems like an obvious right-of-way?
It might in time, but according to the community map, this is not currently on their radar.
Blatchford Map.jpg

A Modest Proposal: (expanding upon my previous post, thank you @ION for the idea)
118 Avenue has long been a significant transportation corridor and commercial high street. Owing its importance to its role as the primary route connecting Edmonton to the town of Beverly, 118 Avenue began to decline in importance after Beverly was absorbed by Edmonton in 1961. Further decline occurred as a result of the broader trend towards suburbanisation in the 1970s. Beginning in the mid-2000s and continuing to the present day the avenue and its surrounding area have experienced somewhat of a revitalisation, and has seen an increase in investment thanks to concerted community and municipal efforts. There is, however, still much work to be done to this end.

The ongoing redevelopment of the former Municipal Airport and the future redevelopment of the Coliseum and exhibition grounds present a major opportunity for hastening the pace at which Alberta Avenue is revitalised, and for encouraging significant new development as well. These two major transit oriented developments (TODs) will, upon completion, constitute two of the largest single investments in Edmonton's history. Blatchford is projected to house up to 30,000 residents, and the Exhibition Lands will likely contain 7,500 residents. Between these two TODs is the central campus of the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, which has more than 20,000 students and faculty. With these factors in mind, the portion of 118 Avenue between 109 Street and Wayne Gretzky Drive presents an excellent corridor for a streetcar or tramway.

A street-level light railway along the 118 Avenue corridor would provide a dedicated connection between two major TODs, and connect them both to NAIT (one of the largest educational institutions in Alberta) and the commercial high street. Additionally, it would also connect the Capital and Metro LRT lines laterally, bypassing the busy city centre and attracting further traffic to the area. The former Westwood Garage sits along 118 Avenue, and could be modified to house LRVs, or a new facility constructed on the site; alternatively, a connection to the regular LRT network could allow for servicing and storage at an existing facility. A streetcar or tramway along 118 Avenue would be a boon for the area, and a concrete commitment on the part of the City of Edmonton to the ongoing efforts to revitalise Alberta Avenue.

118 Avenue Streetcar.PNG

Included is a map of the line I have outlined, complete with locations of potential stops. It does not connect directly to the LRT network at either end, but neither terminus is more than a 3-5 minute walk from existing or planned stations and would likely be connected by footpaths. This is but phase one of a potential network, which could be expanded to cover much of the surrounding area. I can post an expanded map of the whole network once completed if anyone is interested, but this is realistically where I could see it going first, if anywhere at all.

I think that would be great but I would prefer seeing this system start/terminate at an LRT station. The main reason is to facilitate transferring from one line to next. I think too, the best way to get something like this is to start by building infrastructure and stations that could use BRT for now and eventually could be switched to some sort of LRV as interest and usage increases.

A direct connection to the LRT would definitely be preferable. I had sort of discarded that originally as being too complex, but now I see it would probably be worth any added challenges. I would agree with the BRT aspect if it were simply an express shuttle service between the two LRT lines, but I envision it more as a genuine street railway serving basically as a higher capacity replacement for the current bus network in the area. That way it could remaining as useful public transit for people living along the route, with the connection being more a secondary benefit than primary role. With that in mind I think BRT would kind of be an unnecessary step here due to the frequency of stops along the route, and the lower requirement for dedicated infrastructure for a streetcar than for BRT.

In my experience I haven't noticed any uptick in crime recently and I live in the middle of the neighborhood, though the level of riff raff does change on a block-by-block basis here, so I just live on a good block I think.

Back