8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ION

Member Bio
Reaction score
It never hurts to start a thread now since Alberta's currently political situation is as stable as an overbuilt mansion of Whitemud Road!

As much as I knew it would happen, I honestly didn't think the NDP would ALREADY be polling above the UCP this damn early... 2/3 of the polls have the NDP ahead by 3-7% one had the UCP ahead by 4%. All seem credible if you ask me... I mean I'm happier than a pig in sh*t over it but then again when you see the Emperor's New Clothes are well... non-existent, it's not hard to want to return to the days of sanity... 31st Alberta General Election...

Also rumblings that Don Iveson will run for provincial Liberal leader though if you ask me that's just wishful thinking from a dying party...

I predict he will run as THE LIBERAL MP candidate for Edmonton-Centre in the next election though. That's about as viable a seat in Edmonton as you're likely to get as a member of the party in this province...

I wonder if Albertans will have a good memory of what transpired with various UCP MLAs and Kenney’s defence of their actions without any real consequences. Unfortunately, looks like Kenney’s bet is that majority will forget by 2023, and I think he might be right.

Neat seeing it be such a bipartisan agreed upon disgust though... be interesting to see what polling numbers look like now.

Well it looks like Kenny does not like be made to look bad in international Press.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmo...r-holiday-travel-other-mlas-demoted-1.5860869
It seems like just a "sacrificial lamb" of sorts due to the absolute turn in public opinion against him and the UCP. I have no doubt that there might be more MLA's/staffers implicated in this, but it begs the question.

- Why did Kenney wait a few days until the New Year's Press Conference to commit to this action?
- Why the 180 after claiming that essentially there was nothing wrong with Allard's actions?

Personally, I think this has been an absolute dumpster fire of a week for him. I've already abhorred the UCP well before the 2019 election, but this maneuver is just bad politics in general from any direction. I would say this is much worse than Prentice's "look in the mirror" comments and Redford's Sky Palace extravaganza for the sheer reason that this hits most Albertans personally and emotionally and just reeks of flagrant hypocrisy for almost all of us.

It's gotten both the left of the Albertan spectrum and the right up in arms. What comes after this is the "nightmare" scenario for him and his party, a resurgent AB NDP (as seen in previous polls where even before this scandal, there's been a parity or more NDP support) along with the strong possibility of a much further right-wing movement against the UCP coalescing into the WIP splitting that vote with some voters moving over to the AB NDP or the Alberta Party.

What would be interesting to see if there are any in the UCP caucus who breaks off from the party or vocally criticizes them and veers away from the party line either now or in the future.

For the amount of salary they pay their media communications teams and members, they got barely any value of them from this my god.

Just wanted to state that I would love to vote in 2023, just to vote Kenney out.
A little louder for those oh so silent voices in the back... I can only hear some awkward coughing at this point... And yeah that's a COVID-19 reference... Would love hear from those phantom UCP supporters who unleashed the kraken on us. Seems like they have some 'splainin' to do... And some apologizing... Then again we know that'll never happen.

Just wanted to state that I would love to vote in 2023, just to vote Kenney out.
Edmonton echoes this sentiment to the skyyyyy. Kenney is as popular as a giant pothole in those tiny streets near the university by Garneau in this city tbh.

Frankly, it's the Calgary electorate we gotta worry about.

On a happier side note, the large amount of Gen Z who are under 18 (and become of voting age in 2023) could be a key element in throwing him out as well, especially with social media taking a massive role in voter mobilization.

Edmonton echoes this sentiment to the skyyyyy. Kenney is as popular as a giant pothole in those tiny streets near the university by Garneau in this city tbh.

Frankly, it's the Calgary electorate we gotta worry about.

On a happier side note, the large amount of Gen Z who are under 18 (and become of voting age in 2023) could be a key element in throwing him out as well, especially with social media taking a massive role in voter mobilization.
It's the bitter rural bubble you need to worry about the most. Despite being under-populated, they continue to be over-represented when it comes to their influence. I.e. a rural seat's population can still be tiny compared to an urban riding yet they hold the same power. This leads to an imbalance that naturally benefits one particular political party more than the other. The same way the electoral college in the USA continues to warp the popular vote in sickening and fateful ways...

The "Hills Have Eyes" esque communities I experienced as a kid and now during this pandemic show me while Edmonton and Calgary feel more and more like metropolitan global cities, these small towns don't. How to fix them? It takes long term investment and marketing, TBH... And a hell of a lot more exposure to diversity of population and opinion on a day to day basis... Thankfully Gen Z and Alpha are doing to do that and I thank them for that... It really is an adapt or die situation...

It's the bitter rural bubble you need to worry about the most. Despite being under-populated, they continue to be over-represented when it comes to their influence. I.e. a rural seat's population can still be tiny compared to an urban riding yet they hold the same power. This leads to an imbalance that naturally benefits one particular political party more than the other. The same way the electoral college in the USA continues to warp the popular vote in sickening and fateful ways...

The "Hills Have Eyes" esque communities I experienced as a kid and now during this pandemic show me while Edmonton and Calgary feel more and more like metropolitan global cities, these small towns don't. How to fix them? It takes long term investment and marketing, TBH... And a hell of a lot more exposure to diversity of population and opinion on a day to day basis... Thankfully Gen Z and Alpha are doing to do that and I thank them for that... It really is an adapt or die situation...
Absolutely. Rural Alberta holds a tremendous amount of power vis a vis their population in comparison to the cities. The imbalance has gone away slightly with new ridings added in Calgary and Edmonton but not in equalizing it completely. There's always been a saying that in order to win AB, you need two of the three areas to win (Edmonton, Calgary, Rural Alberta).

For any political party left of centre, rural AB is a complete write off unfortunately (except in one weird situation I'll mention in a bit), with the AB NDP only able to get Banff-Kananaskis, Lesser Slave Lake and Lethbridge East as the non Edmonton/Calgary ridings that they can effectively win in a 1v1 match with the UCP.

However, this situation changes if there is a slight split from the right (which is why Kenney's implosion this week is highly dangerous for him, he's pissed off a large segment of the anti-lockdown crowd that has a strong influence in rural AB). Two parties on the right make rural AB absolutely a train wreck of a competition for the NDP allowing them to achieve what they did in 2015. This is why Calgary is the key for the AB NDP, especially since despite the loss in 2019, the amount of votes they received in Calgary increased from 2015. Some of the ridings there were razor thin margins last election. Their path to victory (barring a vote split) lies through dominating the city.

On the second point, I really think that besides towns in the Calgary/Edmonton metro areas and places like Grande Prairie, Red Deer, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat, many towns in rural AB are slated for a decline sadly, even with the return of some O&G investment in the long run. Politically it makes me think Alberta's landscape will be much different in 10-15 years. I'd like to think we're headed for a Colorado situation where the shift was slow from being consistently GOP to consistently Democratic.

It also doesn't help that Kenney and the UCP are speed running the path of the BC Liberals of 15 years but in Alberta and in one term.

Back