News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • NDP

Votes: 42 77.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters
Brushing off this "small libertarian" government's hostile trans legislation as a "luxury issue" that doesn't "impact many people" is rage inducing.
Rage inducing because too many activists (on both sides) are focusing on too small an issue. They should focus their energy on real issues like how to pay down the Provincial debt and find new revenue sources to replace non-recurring resource revenues without significantly raising tax issues.

Thing about him is he brings with him a large amount of negative feelings from a certain block of voters but you could also say that block wouldn't vote NDP anyways.
I think Nenshi would increase the NDPs chances. He wouldn’t cause them to lose any of the seats they won in the last election, but would give them a chance to win some Calgary seats that were close last election.

With Nenshi being a brand, I wonder if he wins if they stick with the NDP name. I do assume Nenshi wins, I think even in Edmonton he's seen as a pretty credible alternative to Smith. He comes with baggage and large cohort of voters that would never vote for him, see what NDP members decide.

I think 99% of the voters who don't like Nenshi weren't NDP voters anyway. If anything he's liable to pick up some middle of the road people who were afraid of the NDP hurting the oil and gas industry and thus hurting Calgary's economy. I know some people who voted UCP even though they didn't like Smith but were worried about the NDP affecting their jobs. Nenshi might help get people past that.

Nenshi shaking things up might be just what’s needed for the NDP. The party’s image to many a Calgarian is an Edmonton centric party with a strong union mentality and an image of being unfriendly for business. For many at translates to a risk to Calgary’s economy, and a hiring spree of unionized government jobs for the Edmonton area .

Whether the image is valid or not, they are definitely an Edmonton centric party that supports unions and government jobs.

If Daniel Smith and the UCP weren’t so far right socially the NDP wouldn’t have much a chance in Calgary, but those right wing idiots in the UCP are giving the NDP a chance. With a Calgarian, whose known to be left leaning socially, they have a better chance IMO.

Rage inducing because too many activists (on both sides) are focusing on too small an issue. They should focus their energy on real issues like how to pay down the Provincial debt and find new revenue sources to replace non-recurring resource revenues without significantly raising tax issues.
Those are great ideas, but at the same time, why can't the UCP have some consideration for things like transgender etc? It literally costs them no $$ to do that.

Let's turn down free money at a time we are experiencing a housing crisis. Fuck Danielle Smith and the UCP. First it was opposition to affordable childcare. Then they vetoed Universal Pharmacare. Now they want to literally gatekeep federal funding to cities. How much damage can this irresponsible idiot do before we can replace her?!

Alberta proposes legislation giving it gatekeeping role on federal funding​

Last edited:
Let's turn down free money at a time we are experiencing a housing crisis. What a twat. Fuck Danielle Smith and the UCP. First it was opposition to affordable childcare. Then they vetoed Universal Pharmacare. Now they want to literally gatekeep federal funding to cities. How much damage can this irresponsible idiot do before we can replace her?!

If provincial government doesn't wish to participate in a federal program that is clearly provincial jurisdiction, such as child care, the precedent has already been set that the feds must provide equivalent funding to that province.

I'd argue that every dollar of government money thrown at hiuosjg will result in at least one less dollar being spent by private developers. In Alberta, labor availability is the bottleneck. Government funding can't solve that.

This is all theatre as none of these federal programs will survive a change in government and the inevitable lowering of government credit ratings. The whole world is headed for an austerity wave of far greater magnitude than that of the 90s

the precedent has already been set that the feds must provide equivalent funding to that province.
This is not the precedent. The precedent is that if the province is meeting the same objectives, or some of the objectives, the province can access proportional funding. This arrangement was put in place by Stephane Dion and John Chretien.

Let's turn down free money at a time we are experiencing a housing crisis. Fuck Danielle Smith and the UCP. First it was opposition to affordable childcare. Then they vetoed Universal Pharmacare. Now they want to literally gatekeep federal funding to cities. How much damage can this irresponsible idiot do before we can replace her?!

Feds shouldn't be meddling in areas of provincial responsibility. It's as simple as that.

Back