News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

If an election was held today, who would you vote for?

• UCP

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • NDP

Votes: 43 76.8%
  • Liberal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alberta Party

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters
Only if he can do better in Calgary than did Notley. I'd be interested in an overlay showing showing wards that voted for Nenshi and those than voted NDP. I suspect a high correlation. I doubt a Nenshi led NDP will win much south of Glenmore.
I don't think such an analysis is super useful. What we know is there was a reservation of supporting the NDP that reemerged during the last campaign around economic doubts, that was triggered by the misplay of the corporate tax announcement. Nenshi is a known quantity with a lot more comfort in Calgary culturally and in the business community.

I think Nenshi will win it. It's still possible for someone else to win it, but there aren't any contenders that stand out. On the Edmonton Reddit page there have been a number of people complaining they're tired of seeing Calgarians always being the premier. At the end of the day they have the choice between Smith and Nenshi. If the NDP somehow manages to choose someone other than Nenshi, they'll have wasted an election.

1717652313958.png
1717652509433.png

Is it safe to say that Nenshi does better in the Calgary suburbs than Notley did? Not to sound like I'm on CNN but I remember reading that he does well with suburban women. Suburban men, not so much but that little bump could make the difference.

In a mayoral race, he was running as himself. When he's leading a party that is mostly to the left of him, he'll need to move a bit for caucus/internal politics reasons. So a big part of how the general will turn out will be how much power the NDP party actually has or if Nenshi will change Alberta politics by introducing more of a traditional liberal/centre-left party to the province.

When he's leading a party that is mostly to the left of him, he'll need to move a bit for caucus/internal politics reasons.
depends how big the win is. If large enough, the party comes to him. If Edmonton caucus members grumble well they don't have to run for a 4th term in their safe seats. I am sure there will be great, pragmatic people who will be happy to take their place.

depends how big the win is. If large enough, the party comes to him. If Edmonton caucus members grumble well they don't have to run for a 4th term in their safe seats. I am sure there will be great, pragmatic people who will be happy to take their place.
The far bigger challenge will be Nenshi's personality. It is always all about him. That may drive somewhat of a civil war within the NDP. Emotions always get in the way of pragmatism.

Really? The party selects the leader in while the electorate selects the Mayor.
100% It is a counterintuitive dynamic of the system of exercising power and being elected creating the dynamic instead of theoretical power flows.

Didn't this happened because of the centralization of power in the leader's office? It happened under Harper, Trudeau, Kenney, and now Smith. IMO when you vote in anything but a municipal election you vote for the leader. As we've discovered with the election interference issue, influence happens at party riding races and leadership conventions. Foreign governments understood it long before we the actual voters did. Take Back Alberta figured it out as well.

Last edited:

Back