News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Report to the next TEYCC recommending approval for 'Alterations to a Designated Heritage Structure' in service of renovation to and restoration work on The Palm House.

The existing overhead glazing in the dome and cupolas is proposed to be replaced with laminated glass panelsto address safety concerns.The existing plate glass panes have occasionally fallen,posinga risk of injury.The overhead glazing is not original; it was replaced in 1975 with aluminum frames due to the deterioration of the previous wood frames. The proposed replacement glazing will be engineered so that it can be walked on, allowing for maintenance of the greenhouse. The glazing will have a ceramic frit pattern to diffuse sunlight. Currently, the overhead glazing is whitewashed in the summer to diffuse light and the frit pattern would eliminate the need for whitewashing going forward. The frit pattern is expected to have minimal heritage impact as it will be virtually transparent

Yes - we can finally see the sky instead of that perpetual overcast inside the Palm House because of the whitewash.

From the report:

1623433856389.png

1623434119834.png

1623434177629.png

AoD

Last edited:
The issue at Allan Gardens is squatters camping in the park, not the condition of the greenhouses.
I think you need to broaden your horizon. It is possible to have more than one issue and Allen Gardens has several. The greenhouses need work, the 'garden' needs work and there needs to be some sort of resolution about those 'camping out'. All are important issues and some are interconnected (the stare of the grass vs the tents) while others (like the greenhouse repair) are more 'free-standing'.

I think you need to broaden your horizon. It is possible to have more than one issue and Allen Gardens has several. The greenhouses need work, the 'garden' needs work and there needs to be some sort of resolution about those 'camping out'. All are important issues and some are interconnected (the stare of the grass vs the tents) while others (like the greenhouse repair) are more 'free-standing'.
Good points. I think I’m just worn out by the shabbiness of our public areas. Toronto Police and Toronto Bylaw Enforcement have entirely surrendered the city; no longer enforcing laws against begging, harassment, disturbance and intoxication, open drug use, and squatters in our parks. Litter and graffiti is everywhere, even though we have laws and bylaws requiring the cleanup of both. At Allan Gardens and most public parks in Toronto I visit the garbage bins are overflowing with trash strewn about the ground.

If I had a dream for Allan Gardens it would be to transform the entire park to what the Halifax Public Gardens looks like. No where in the downtown of Toronto do we have a comparable public garden, https://www.halifaxpublicgardens.ca/. But we could, a park like how Halifax’s closes at night (no squatters), with a focus on gardening, flowers and trees, that‘s dog free outside of the existing fenced-in leash free zones (I love my dog, but we can have one dog free park in downtown Toronto). If Halifax can do it, we can do it.

914db428c43316e615742cca7171b4bb.jpg

FL_150604_097_B-1-1200x674.jpg

Last edited:
Good points. I think I’m just worn out by the shabbiness of our public areas. Toronto Police and Toronto Bylaw Enforcement have entirely surrendered the city; no longer enforcing laws against begging, harassment, disturbance and intoxication, open drug use, and squatters in our parks. Litter and graffiti is everywhere, even though we have laws and bylaws requiring the cleanup of both. At Allan Gardens and most public parks in Toronto I visit the garbage bins are overflowing with trash strewn about the ground.

If I had a dream for Allan Gardens it would be to transform the entire park to what the Halifax Public Gardens looks like. No where in the downtown of Toronto do we have a comparable public garden, https://www.halifaxpublicgardens.ca/. But we could.

FL_150604_097_B-1-1200x674.jpg
You could also join the Friends group and become part of the solution! https://friendsofallangardens.ca/ Much of the 'extra stuff' in Halifax is thanks to the fact that these are a very old "public garden' with a very active fund-raising group of Friends

You could also join the Friends group and become part of the solution! https://friendsofallangardens.ca/ Much of the 'extra stuff' in Halifax is thanks to the fact that these are a very old "public garden' with a very active fund-raising group of Friends
Thanks, I’ve just subscribed to their newsletter.

City Council consideration on April 6, 2022
Notice of Motion
MM42.21
ACTION​
Ward: 13​
Green Future Forward: Establishing an Effective Governance and Operating Model for Allan Gardens and the Palm House Conservatory - by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Mike Layton
City Council direct the General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation to establish a process to review and evaluate the governance and operating model for Allan Gardens and all assets on the park, and to do this work in consultation with park users, stakeholders, Friends of Allan Gardens and the local ward Councillor and to report back to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee in the second quarter of 2023.

Contract award coming up:

Bid Award Panel consideration on August 31, 2022
BA203.2
ACTION​
Ward: 13​
Award of Ariba Document Number 3440890581 to Heritage Restoration Inc., (HRI Group) for the Allan Gardens Conservatory Palm House State of Good Repair Heritage Building Restoration for Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division
Origin
(August 25, 2022) Report from the Acting Chief Procurement Officer​
Recommendations
The Acting Chief Procurement Officer recommends that the Bid Award Panel grant authority to award the following contract:

Solicitation Number:
Request for Tender, Ariba Document Number 3440890581, Contract Number 22-PFR-142

Description:
For the supply and delivery of all labour, materials, equipment, and supervision required to complete the Allan Gardens Conservatory Palm House State of Good Repair Heritage Building Restoration project, on behalf of the Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division of the City of Toronto.

Recommended Supplier:
Heritage Restoration Inc. (HRI Group)

Contract Award Value:
$9,999,359 net of all applicable taxes and charges
$11,299,276 including HST and all applicable charges
$10,175,348 net of HST recoveries

I don’t understand why we’re spending any money on Allan Gardens revitalization when we’ve abandoned the park to encampments and junkies.

When Toronto’s police and bylaw enforcement officers ignore the situation in Allan Gardens and nearby I’m not sure why we’re bothering restoring the greenhouses. Here are the bylaws on the books that our bylaw officers ignore:

Camping in parks (608-13)
Fouling and obstruction (743-9)
Littering and Dumping (548-2)

Meanwhile, Toronto’s Police ignore the Safe Streets Act, and laws against public drug use, public nuisance and public intoxication.

I don’t understand why we’re spending any money on Allan Gardens revitalization when we’ve abandoned the park to encampments and junkies.

When Toronto’s police and bylaw enforcement officers ignore the situation in Allan Gardens and nearby I’m not sure why we’re bothering restoring the greenhouses. Here are the bylaws on the books that our bylaw officers ignore:

Camping in parks (608-13)
Fouling and obstruction (743-9)
Littering and Dumping (548-2)

Meanwhile, Toronto’s Police ignore the Safe Streets Act, and laws against public drug use, public nuisance and public intoxication.

I just drove past Allen Gardens on Saturday and was shocked to see how many tents were set up. Unacceptable.

Back