News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Allan Gardens outside the greenhouse could have additional topiaries as well. It would be interesting to see a shrub cut to resemble a maple leaf for example.
Just watch Edward Scissorhands and learn to do it yourself.

I first went to the gardens a few years ago. While the gardens was very enjoyable, it wasn't very pleasant entering/leaving the area (drunks/druggies and people shouting/fighting).

I'm glad that there are revitalization plans for Allan Gardens. When will it be completed?

I first went to the gardens a few years ago. While the gardens was very enjoyable, it wasn't very pleasant entering/leaving the area (drunks/druggies and people shouting/fighting).

I'm glad that there are revitalization plans for Allan Gardens. When will it be completed?
There is info further up this thread and also see http://www.friendsofallangardens.ca/#!/

I just attended a public meeting regarding a proposed 13 storey rental building to be situated on the south east corner of AG. The lovely corner of Sherbourne and Gerrard East to be exact. Allan Gardens needs an improved perimeter. Currently it's surrouded by a hodge podge of sundry building of varied styles and purposes. Everything from lawyers offices, Aboriginal support and training facilities, A medical building, a couple of churches, a squat one storey mini mart and roaring, unfriendly Jarvis Street. It is a perfect area for 10 to 15 story residential with retail base. Imagine how lovlely a restored Allan Gardens surrounded by residential buildings would be. As it is, the only retail around the entire park is the minimart.
I hope the proposed rental building is redesigned to include retail and kickstarts something good in this neglected neighborhood.

I just attended a public meeting regarding a proposed 13 storey rental building to be situated on the south east corner of AG. The lovely corner of Sherbourne and Gerrard East to be exact. Allan Gardens needs an improved perimeter. Currently it's surrouded by a hodge podge of sundry building of varied styles and purposes. Everything from lawyers offices, Aboriginal support and training facilities, A medical building, a couple of churches, a squat one storey mini mart and roaring, unfriendly Jarvis Street. It is a perfect area for 10 to 15 story residential with retail base. Imagine how lovlely a restored Allan Gardens surrounded by residential buildings would be. As it is, the only retail around the entire park is the minimart.
I hope the proposed rental building is redesigned to include retail and kickstarts something good in this neglected neighborhood.
This one?: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread...-oben-flats-sherbourne-gp-13s-superkül.21450/

img_0536-jpg.49571

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/307-sherbourne-st-at-gerrard-oben-flats-sherbourne-gp-13s-superkül.21450/

I agree that more residential and retail in the area would definitely help.

It is a perfect area for 10 to 15 story residential with retail base. Imagine how lovlely a restored Allan Gardens surrounded by residential buildings would be. As it is, the only retail around the entire park is the minimart.

Can't agree with you more. Allan Gardens are pretty nice, but the surroundings are atrocious. I used to live on Homewood Ave. The area immediately south of AG is rather sketchy, Jarvis is flat and boring and Sherbourne is ugly and messy. What a waste.

What Toronto needs is an gated (but no charge, open access) urban garden like Halifax's Public Gardens. It is a wonderful, dog-free environment (can we have one dog-free park in Toronto south of Bloor - just one?). It closes at 11pm, meaning less odds of camping out.

ARIAL-PHOTO.jpg
bandstand_en.JPG

can we have one dog-free park in Toronto south of Bloor - just one?

It's not clear to me making our parks less inclusive is the key to making them better. Allan Gardens seems to have a lovely off-leash area - probably one of the most used parts of the park. Makes it a better park.

It's not clear to me making our parks less inclusive is the key to making them better.
Have you visited Halifax public park? It is inclusive of everyone, just not for dogs. It's really quite nice to walk into that space, through the vintage iron gates, and view the plants without dogs taking a piss. Other cities have downtown gated and botanical gardens - perhaps Toronto needs one too. The formal gardens in St. James Park are the closest I can think of to this ideal.

Notwithstanding the above, I'm okay with the dogs. The Public Gardens in Boston are gated and dog friendly. I'd love to see the smaller 10 acre Allan Gardens emulate some of the 24 acre Boston.

Yeah, I've been. It is lovely. Don't see how prohibiting dogs improves it any. Just excludes people. As for dogs pissing, one could also say the park would be much more pleasant without screaming kids. But I don't think we should ban people who want to bring their children. Best parks are inclusive.

Last edited:
It's not clear to me making our parks less inclusive is the key to making them better. Allan Gardens seems to have a lovely off-leash area - probably one of the most used parts of the park. Makes it a better park.

not allowing dogs isn't necessarily less inclusive. I love dogs, don't get me wrong, but in allowing all sorts of dogs letting them pretty much dominate AG you exclude people who just want some quiet moment in a nice garden without constant animal barking nearby too.

Your argument is like saying restaurants which forbids smoking is being exclusive. There are those who like dogs and those who don't. Give both their gardens to enjoy.

I would love to have that park in Halifax. That's an ideal version of an urban park. And yes, I think the gates are a great idea and closing at 11pm also fantastic. No one should be allowed to stay in a public park doing whatever they want after a certain time.

Back