News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

FS:

"Minimal" disruptions? Have you even been on Sheppard during the construction of the line? I mean, subways are beneficial, but let's not understate the impact. You can't have "minimal" anything when you are building stations by cut-and-cover.

AoD

That's dependant on the construction team and financeers though. If Toronto kept to strict deadlines and had a steady flow of cash and commitment like they did in Vancouver, subways here could be rolled out alot sooner. Also is there a rule that the stations must be CnC? I was figuring that a 25 foot deep tunnel shaft would have circular bored out stations like spots on the Univeristy Line or at Sherbourne. I really don't know what was the point of doing Sheppard stops with CnC given the depths there.

If Toronto kept to strict deadlines and had a steady flow of cash and commitment like they did in Vancouver, subways here could be rolled out alot sooner.

A good chunk of the time savings in Vancouver was accomplished by increasing the disruption. They didn't even bother to put boards over-top of the CNC stations to allow through traffic. I can't imagine what a complete shut-down of Eglinton for 3 years would cause; including blocking 50% of the intersections. Reducing lanes is one thing, completely shutting it down is a different ballgame.

You could build a short Church St. subway south of Bloor with all the same stops that Yonge has -- that would provide the best B-Y relief. Or disconnect the Spadina subway at Spadina and Bloor -- run it down Spadina Av. into the core and then the Avenue Road Y can be put back into service to take Bloor passengers downtown without transfers.

No, I think that the Rail Corridor Pape-Dundas West would by far be the best alignment. Not only do you get sweeping relief to both the B-D and the streetcar lines, but it also extends RT to a huge amount of the city, and could be extended far and wide. It's a lot more bang for it's buck when you think about it.

However, I think that something like a Jarvis or Sherbourne subway would be useful in the very long term (50 years down the road when all our transit's back on track.) Sherbourne could go straight down Cherry street through Portlands too, but that might be good as a branch of the DRL instead.

Back