News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The (privately owned) Toronto Railway Company did not want to expand past the Toronto boundaries of 1894. The city had to create the (publicly owned) Toronto Civic Railway to operate new streetcar lines along the Danforth, east Gerrard, Bloor West, St. Clair and Lansdowne Avenues. This was in addition to the Toronto and York Radial Railway and the Toronto Suburban Railway. Each with their own fares, and no transfers between systems.

TorontoAnnex1834-1914-600_featured_530wide.jpg

rail1921.jpg

Maybe go back to the original, since it would be more "profitable".

What a lovely thought, de-amalgamation. Amalgamation was not democratically achieved here in Toronto. Mike Harris forced it upon as as we voted 72% against it. And what a spectacularly bad outcome, now, as enormous divisions are exposed with nary a clever mediator in sight.

De-amalgamation is impossible. In my fantasy world, we slice Scarborough off and let Rob Ford run as the mayor there, where he has big support: give them a voice, be done with it, and move on.

Interestingly, Scarborough has 10 wards. If we sliced just Scarborough off the map, the balance of power is shifted back towards urban Toronto.

I'd sooner just sell Etobicrack to Mississauga. Perhaps we could trade it for Hazel.

Well ok then. If the negotiations bog down, we can offer some outer Scarborough wards in the pot. And perhaps Shiner's North York ward.

I think the GTA should be amalgamated into a two tier regional system. GTA-wide government for transit, highways, emergency services, regional planning, etc... boroughs for zoning, local by-laws, parks, traffic calming, tree cutting, etc... I also think municipalities should be in charge of education instead of school boards and more decisions should be delegated to principals and parent councils.

Perhaps a simple plebiscite should be held and let the decision stand. Those that choose to leave would simply revert back to what it was like before amalgamation with other cities that voted with them. of course that would be problematic as I think you would find that York, East and North York would want to stay in an amalgamated Toronto. Or perhaps a more easily defined division.............one for Torontonians north of the 401 and those south.

What a lovely thought, de-amalgamation. Amalgamation was not democratically achieved here in Toronto. Mike Harris forced it upon as as we voted 72% against it. And what a spectacularly bad outcome, now, as enormous divisions are exposed with nary a clever mediator in sight.

De-amalgamation is impossible. In my fantasy world, we slice Scarborough off and let Rob Ford run as the mayor there, where he has big support: give them a voice, be done with it, and move on.

No, please leave him in Etobicoke, I don't want him as mayor of Scarborough!

No, please leave him in Etobicoke, I don't want him as mayor of Scarborough!

Maybe Etobicoke should break up into little villages and towns. Then Rob Ford can rule as he wants as mayor or reeve, without interference.

Alderwood
Claireville
Dixon
Humber Bay
Islington
Lambton Mills
Long Branch
Mimico
New Toronto
Rexdale
Richview
Thistletown
Weston

From this article on Villages of Etobicoke, at this link.

Interesting article today in the NP about de-amalgamation: http://news.nationalpost.com/toront...-institute-says-yes-but-doesnt-mean-it-should

Here's the post I wrote in the article:

There is a governance gap between local and Provincial governments, especially in Metropolitan regions. Amalgamated cities are too big to effectively deal with local issues, regional governments (ex: Halton, York, Peel, Durham) are too small to effectively deal with regional issues, and the Province is too large to effectively deal with issues in just one region of the Province.

The GTA would be much better off with a new level of regional government that replaces the current regions, which would include a partially de-amalgamated Toronto (Toronto, Scarborough, North York, Etobicoke). It would basically be re-creating Metro Toronto, but including the 905 communities as well. The biggest failure of Metro Toronto is that its borders didn't expand along with the urban boundary.

This would allow services like transit, infrastructure, EMS, utilities, social housing, etc, to be delivered at the Metro level, while still maintaining a local autonomy for decisions that should be made a local level (ex: whether to put in a bike lane on road X).

It would be a profound shift in the governance structure, but it wouldn't be creating new government, since the existing regional governments would be abolished. The GTA is facing problems that are on a regional scale, so it needs a government that can deal with them on that scale, not the current patchwork of governments that we have now.

Interesting article today in the NP about de-amalgamation: http://news.nationalpost.com/toront...-institute-says-yes-but-doesnt-mean-it-should

Here's the post I wrote in the article:

There is a governance gap between local and Provincial governments, especially in Metropolitan regions. Amalgamated cities are too big to effectively deal with local issues, regional governments (ex: Halton, York, Peel, Durham) are too small to effectively deal with regional issues, and the Province is too large to effectively deal with issues in just one region of the Province.

The GTA would be much better off with a new level of regional government that replaces the current regions, which would include a partially de-amalgamated Toronto (Toronto, Scarborough, North York, Etobicoke). It would basically be re-creating Metro Toronto, but including the 905 communities as well. The biggest failure of Metro Toronto is that its borders didn't expand along with the urban boundary.

This would allow services like transit, infrastructure, EMS, utilities, social housing, etc, to be delivered at the Metro level, while still maintaining a local autonomy for decisions that should be made a local level (ex: whether to put in a bike lane on road X).

It would be a profound shift in the governance structure, but it wouldn't be creating new government, since the existing regional governments would be abolished. The GTA is facing problems that are on a regional scale, so it needs a government that can deal with them on that scale, not the current patchwork of governments that we have now.
It would be easier to create a gta regional mayors' council chaired by a provincial minister assigned to the role. Don't need the extra bureaucracy.

Back