News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Bah....I spit at their valuation which has been and continues to be based on hypothetical future profits.

It's heartwarming to see that additional "0" in Jeff Bezos personal fortune, especially when it's coming at the expense of local elementary schools. I imagine Bezos will have first dibs on the schoolchildrens' fresh blood if he ever needs a transfusion.

From what I understand, Amazon makes more money from their services (AWS) now than their original marketplace. I'm glad that Toronto does not plan to give ridiculous benefits just to land Amazon. It'll be fantastic to have them, but Toronto's tech market is quite strong as it is.

Yes, like Wisconsin and Foxconn:

(From Real Clear Markets)

This summer, Wisconsin politicians announced they had lured a new Foxconn LCD flat panel plant to southeast Wisconsin with a $3 billion incentive package, in return for a $10 billion investment from the company. But, like many government giveaways to the corporate sector, the bill to taxpayers has gotten even bigger. The Wisconsin Economic Development Agency agreed to a significant reduction in Foxconn’s commitment, down to $9 billion. This was after the state legislature okayed the deal without nailing down the details.

The state legislative bureau estimated it would take 25 years – until 2043 – until the Wisconsin government received enough in additional tax revenues to match the initial $3 billion investment. At $4 billion-plus, the break-even point will recede even further into the future…

…The steep price Wisconsin has committed to paying to host Foxconn will ripple across other states and municipalities. In 2015 alone, state and local business incentives came to $45 billion, including tax credits, property tax abatements, investment tax credits, R&D tax credits and customized job training, according to the W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research. And the cost has been going up; business incentives have more than tripled since 1990.

The state will also spend $30 million on a new two-mile road east of I-94 to be called “Wisconn Valley Way,” and aimed at easing traffic congestion near Foxconn’s plant.

And last week we learned the Walker administration will also siphon $134 million from the state transportation fund to widen and improve several local roads near the future Foxconn factory, as a report by the nonpartisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau disclosed.

This from CNN:

The demands for labor from the Foxconn plant will hamper the abilities of companies that are already in Wisconsin, who are already struggling to get workers due to the state's low wages and low amount of candidates available to take those jobs.
But the low unemployment in the state has some existing businesses worried that the plant, which could employ up to 13,000 workers, will make it that much harder for them to find workers. Unemployment in Wisconsin is just 3.2%, near its record low. The entire state has only 102,000 unemployed workers.

"What I'm hearing from my employers is they can't fill the jobs they have available now," said Anthony Snyder, CEO of the Fox Valley Workforce Development Board. "I've heard companies not able to add another shift, not being able to take on orders because they can't fill them. Foxconn doesn't worry me today, but it'll worry me two or three years from now. It's another competitor for the labor we don't have here."

What are you implying? That the US isn't a market economy like they say about China? ;)

I don't even like Amazon, bloody well hope I'm not forcefully volunteering my money to their over-valued behemoth of an extortion racket. I've had my fill of that supporting dairy farmers and plane companies.....and auto manufacturers.....and energy companies...and so on and so on to lengths too terrible to mention.

@CP24

Amazon has included Toronto on a short list of 20 cities under consideration for its second headquarters. Amazon reviewed a total of 238 proposals.

DT1ELV5VwAEIR14.jpg:large

Your City Will Lose the Contest for Amazon’s New HQ
http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...ill_lose_the_contest_for_amazon_s_new_hq.html

In spite of it all, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, and Philly are probably the most compelling choices for Amazon. But that doesn’t mean the company might not blow off its interest in higher education or mass transit to procure a low-cost campus in the suburbs of Dallas or Atlanta.

I think people are placing too much weight for the "dense, transit-friendly, urbane" criteria in Amazon's wish list. It hasn't stopped tech behemoths from settling in deserts, exurbs and corn fields in California, Texas and North Carolina. At the end of the day, Amazon is concerned with the bottom line. Telecommuting and private employee shuttles to-and-from work are easy fixes to reach the nether regions of hip urban centres.

Some people I talked to were sure as shit that Calgary was going to at least make the shortlist. Too bad

Your City Will Lose the Contest for Amazon’s New HQ
http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...ill_lose_the_contest_for_amazon_s_new_hq.html

I think people are placing too much weight for the "dense, transit-friendly, urbane" criteria in Amazon's wish list. It hasn't stopped tech behemoths from settling in deserts, exurbs and corn fields in California, Texas and North Carolina. At the end of the day, Amazon is concerned with the bottom line. Telecommuting and private employee shuttles to-and-from work are easy fixes to the nether reaches of hip urban centres.

Valid point that tech giants *in the past* tended to locate themselves in remote locations. I don't think that's what they're looking for right now. Amazon's corporate culture is constructed around being in Seattle. They're not Google or Apple.

Baltimore isn't on the shortlist. Taxes in Illinois are too high. Denver isn't far east enough to get the benefits of a second HQ. Atlanta isn't a good cultural fit.

Based on the shortlist, I think we're possibly in the top 5. Philly, Boston, and Pittsburgh are probably the top 3.

So much for that CBC Metro Morning tech reporter who was 100% convinced Toronto wouldn't even make the final cut.

LA notwithstanding if you look at that map it seems Amazon is looking primarily outside the Western US.

As an anecdotal aside a distant relative of mine who works in Seattle in the Technology field mentioned during the holidays that Amazon has a bad reputation as an employer in his field.

The larger a company gets the more political its business model becomes so I wouldn't doubt proximity to Washington DC is a contributing factor. Sometimes we forget when we separate organizations into private and public that all private companies business models exist within pockets of space whose boundaries are created by government. When you grow to a certain size influencing government to shape those boundaries according to your interests becomes essentially your primary objective.

Back