40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
good article, though its still just Yorkville to me. I was glad to read in the 906 Yonge thread that the Ridpath's building will be incorporated into the new development - that would be an atrocity to lose a gem like that...

I agree. "NoYo" is entirely too contrived and artificial. The latest Christmas 'must have' toy from Hasboro Kids!

Names like Rosedale, Yorkville, the Annex, Summerhill, not to mention Yonge and Davenport, all have historic connections which have endured for well over a century, so why not reach back into our past and adopt a name which has some relevance to the area.

Long ago the section of Yonge St from just north of Davenport to just south of Roxborough had a much steeper grade than today, and turned into a blue clay quagmire in the Spring. In fact there was a quarry and brickworks where Ramsden Park is today. That piece of Yonge was called "the Blue Hill", a name well known to teamsters, stagecoach drivers and any farmer who had lost a boot in the sucking mud while pushing his wagon.

Blue Hill, The Blue Hill, or that favourite, Blue Hill 'Estates' would be unique,descriptive and provide an historic link to the neighbourhood, and it might be intriguing enough to move some people to research its origin.

"NoYo" forsooth!

Back