News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

RIP Toronto's most unique McDonald's @ 190 Bloor West. It closed in early January for the new Exhibit condo.

mcdonaldsbloor.jpg

Last edited:

Attachments

• Brick Gate.jpg
    Brick Gate.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 462
Does anyone know the story behind these white brick structures at Cassandra Blvd and Victoria Park Av? Could they have been part of a gate to the O'Connor Estate grounds?

My guess would be they were built by the developer (Wycliffe?) as a 'grand' entrance to the subdivision/apartment buildings.

There are lots of photos of the Victoria Park widening back in 1960 on the archives website, if you are interested.

Last edited:
My guess would be they were built by the developer (Wycliffe?) as a 'grand' entrance to the subdivision/apartment buildings.

These might be the O'Connor estate gates - these photos were taken when Victoria Park was widened in 1960.

They were probably where Rowena is now south of where this Sunoco station used to be (where Timmy's is now?)

There are lots of photos of the Victoria Park widening back in 1960 on the archives website, if you are interested.

Thanks. Yes, I suppose they could be part of the Cassandra Towers apartments. Based on that photo, those structures weren't built yet. If you look carefully, at the picture I posted, the structure on the left has what appears to be a wire or rebar sticking out of it. I wonder if they once had lights? Those homes, in the 2nd picture, would be Combermere Dr? It guess Cassandra Blvd wasn't built until a few years later, since the homes on it weren't built until 1964/65, if I'm not mistaken?

Thanks. Yes, I suppose they could be part of the Cassandra Towers apartments. Based on that photo, those structures weren't built yet. If you look carefully, at the picture I posted, the structure on the left has what appears to be a wire or rebar sticking out of it. I wonder if they once had lights? Those homes, in the 2nd picture, would be Combermere Dr? It guess Cassandra Blvd wasn't built until a few years later, since the homes on it weren't built until 1964/65, if I'm not mistaken?

That sounds about right. 'O'Connor Hills' - the Broadlands/Castlegrove area - was built c1958, 'Parkway Woods' - the Brookbanks area - was built c1960 - and Cassandra was later.
You might be interested in these threads:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...nd-Bridge-Lawrence-Avenue?p=636742#post636742
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/17858-Don-mills-then-and-now/page3

That sounds about right. 'O'Connor Hills' - the Broadlands/Castlegrove area - was built c1958, 'Parkway Woods' - the Brookbanks area - was built c1960 - and Cassandra was later.
You might be interested in these threads:
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...nd-Bridge-Lawrence-Avenue?p=636742#post636742
http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/17858-Don-mills-then-and-now/page3

I've noticed those before -- thanks anyway. Here's some information I got today:

I'm afraid that I do not have any information that specifically pertains to these gates. It is unlikely that they are associated with the O'Connor House as the historic entrance to the estate had its own driveway south of present day Cassandra. The driveway ran through present day Rowena Park. In fact, from online aerial photographs (google or bing maps) you can see what appears to be an alley of trees lining the what was once the original driveway.

The gates are likely associated with the subdivision. I spoke with staff this morning and we had a quick look, but we were not able to confirm this. I've also asked the heritage consultant who is currently working on the Conservation Plan for the site if he has any information on these gates. I'll let you know if I he has anything.

What Conservation Plan is this? Is this referring to the O'Connor Mansion restoration?

Does anyone know the story behind these white brick structures at Cassandra Blvd and Victoria Park Av? Could they have been part of a gate to the O'Connor Estate grounds?

I think the reason Anna politely directed you to those threads is because your original post doesn't belong in this thread. This thread is for androiduk's photos (and obviously discussion surrounding his photos)
Not trying to be confrontational but the ongoing conversation has nothing to do with this thread - and will inevitably be moved elsewhere by a moderator

I think the reason Anna politely directed you to those threads is because your original post doesn't belong in this thread. This thread is for androiduk's photos (and obviously discussion surrounding his photos)
Not trying to be confrontational but the ongoing conversation has nothing to do with this thread - and will inevitably be moved elsewhere by a moderator

You're right. I should have posted there instead--sorry.

There and several hundred dirty washroom stalls.

War memorial at the north end of Queen's Park. Probably the only place in the city where you'll see the word 'Hitler'.

hitler.jpg

How fitting that the word Sicily sits on top....

Back