News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Alvin, I really don't think it's appropriate to blame someone who was murdered for somehow provoking them with some taunts or an overly-agressive 'No' to their panhandling. There's no level of verbal provocation that can even remotely justify stabbing someone to death.

The police are like panhandlers themselves. They keep calling my house and asking for money just because my mom gave to some charity once. The damn fire department too. Assholes.

Now I'm clearly just stating the obvious here, but it is pretty ridiculous for you to post something like this and then claim that all the responses (many incidentally coming from you) are off topic and not constructive. Are we really supposed to think that you couldn't look up the TPS phone number yourself without a post on the forum, or that we had to know the exact detail about what homeless person you objected to if all you wanted was to find out how to contact the police? You like to bait these debates, just like the abortion one, and then claim that you're somehow baffled how they started.

Hey, leave Admiral Beez alone, he's had a tough life of rolling up his window when people ask him for change, I can only imagine how hard that is for him.

I believe the last thing this person was is a "gentleman", if media reports are to be trusted. That aside, the law already allows for punishment for those who kill - and pandhandling wasn't the issue - physical harm leading to death is.

your pathetic....

I agree, you do the crime, you pay the fine. Now, that we're in agreement, what's your proposal to collect fines from the panhandlers?

Actually we are NOT in agreement. You suggested that the Highway Traffic Act should be enforced to the utmost. Sure - that implies having the police catching each and every one who violates the speed limit, as per your previous comment:

I see the lawbreakers almost every day, and saw the law being enforced last week, and want it consistently enforced.

Considering the amount of lawbreaking going on when it comes to speed limit violations, when was the last time laws around that issue is consistently enforced? You tell me.

AoD

unimaginative:

I've said quite clearly the crime resides with the individual who commits it - that part is without contention. What I am talking about is the lack of street-smarts. An analogy is like walking into a neighbourhood with a history of petty crimes with an ostenatious display of wealth - it doesn't make anyone who does the stealing innocent - but one has to wonder about the victim's personal judgement.

AoD

But I really have a problem with that rationalization. It doesn't somehow mitigate the crime simply because somebody was dressed ostentatiously. It's not somehow better to rob someone just because they're wearing an expensive suit or jewelery. That's a slippery slope to saying of a rape victim "Oh, well she was kinda asking for it because she wore a short skirt..."

unimaginative:

The crime didn't, at least IMO, get mitigated (and I mentioned very specifically in my analogy the crime remains at the hand of the guilty party, which is the person who committs it) - in this case, it is (and should) remain manslaughter. For me at least it's a matter of not adequately safeguarding one's own safety, even though legally safety is presumed to be there.

AoD

Wearing a short skirt in questionable areas is not the same thing as interacting with panhandlers. Even if the woman was "asking for it," she could not honestly be 100% surprised it if happened...but there's absolutely no way the guy could have anticipated getting stabbed to death. None.

scarberian:

No, but he certainly shouldn't be surprised taunts lead to escalation of some kind. From a contrarian argument, what really did he expect when taunting someone, exactly? That he can hurl abuse and the other party will remain inert?

AoD

It doesn't matter. He may well expect some taunts back, and some angry yells. There is absolutely no way someone should expect a stabbing under any circumstances in response to some taunts. But that's all irrelevant. It is absolutely no less wrong whether they stabbed him out of the blue walking down the street, or in response to some intemperate barbs.

Back