News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Admiral Beez

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I've been thinking of taking my wife on a motorcycle tour of New Zealand, see http://www.triumphriders.co.nz/ for details. It will likely be in five years or so from now, since we'll need to make arrangements for the kids' care.

Have any of you guys been to New Zealand? Did you enjoy it? Does it get boring after two weeks or so. The terrain on Lord of the Rings certainly looked amazing.

We'd not have the time to also do Australia, so would leave that for a future trip when we'd have more than two weeks.

I'm looking at New Zealand for a honeymoon (Australia/New Zealand), I'd appreciate a few suggestions as well.

Admiral Beez: A friend of mine did exactly what you are planning to do: motorcycle trip through New Zealand. He was by himself, so there were no concerns over child care. He also roughed it here and there. But to put it mildy, he absolutely loved it.

Friends of mine went there to go hiking, for which NZ is noted. Admittedly a little different than riding a motorcycle. They raved over the scenery.

Cities apparently are relatively small and a bit on the boring side.

Eh bro, want some fentustuc Nyoo Zuhland fush and chups? ;)

Never been, even though it's only a hop skip and jump across the Tasman from here.

Make sure you're comfortable with driving/riding on the left hand side of the road before you go and learn how to use roundabouts as they're all over NZ & AU (always give way to traffic in the roundabout and traffic on your right) ;)

New Zealand: Australia's Canada.

What a plonker. :p

Kia ora, Admiral.

I doubt you'll get bored. The scenery is stunning (in most areas a drive of a few hours will take you from beach to native bush or mountains), the cultures (Maori, Polynesian, Samoan ...) are diverse and vibrant, and the food has radically improved over the last decade (the wine, of course, is brilliant!). Give yourselves plenty of time to wander and experience.

Just remember - they drive on the left!

Canuck - if you can spare enough time and dosh, I recommend visiting both NZ and Australia in the same trip. The two cultures are quite different.

When I was a kid, a friend's father who was bred n' spread in NZ used to pronounce my name (Brian) thusly:

"Broin".

Later, in French immersion, I was frequently adressed as "Bree-UH".

I was a nightmare, I tells ya. Scars.

When I was a kid, a friend's father who was bred n' spread in NZ used to pronounce my name (Brian) thusly:

"Broin".

Later, in French immersion, I was frequently adressed as "Bree-UH".

I was a nightmare, I tells ya. Scars.

Broin (bry'nnnnnnn) sounds more ocker (aussie) than Kiwi... bro.

artgeek: why sex of course.

Hi AB,

I went last year.

I was there for a week. We were mainly in Auckland and Rotura (north), Christchurch and Fox Glacier (South). Among other things, we did Glacier hikes, volcano hikes, sky diving, waitomo caves and a lot of driving.

We rented a car in the South, probably on the same routes that you would be biking on. It's a stunning ride. Portions can be very winding, as you go through a lot mountains.

Aukland is experiencing an immigration boom, which was a pleasant surprise.

It was extremely cheap,and the hostelling system in NZ is the best in the world.

It's an amazing place.

EDIT: Lol, And oh yes, New Zealanders say statements as questions.. "When you get to the end of the road? You'll see a gas station? Then turn left?"

Back