News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've noticed a number of these combination intake/exhaust pipes in various locations around the east end, particularly along Gerard Street. I asked an engineer I know who is very experienced in infrastructure projects and he thought that they were simply part of HVAC systems for buildings, but that answer doesn't sit right with me. Some of the locations don't make sense for that, and I would think if that were the case I'd have noticed similar pipes all over the city and not just in a few areas. Anyone here have the answer?

FuHg9UW.jpg

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6702...4!1stvHpeVXTlxLTHsuJY9sl5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6587...4!1s0N1GCbkfc5S1Hb4BnqWRcg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If it's methane or other combustible gas, shouldn't we be collecting it and using it as fuel, like we do with garbage dumps http://www.c40.org/case_studies/trash-to-cash-methane-capture-generates-3-4-million-annually?

Probably doesn't generate enough of it to make it worthwhile. I think there are plans to use biogas at the Ashbridges Bay treatment plant though:

http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/electricsystem/GridInvestment/powerup/Pages/Ashbridges.aspx

AoD

At one time, they weren't used at all, but smaller ones have shown up over the year as a goose neck, about 2' tall.

Saw an 8' round trunk line being replace by my place that had a small goose neck and it has been replace by a 4-5' one.

Now we are seeing 2-8' ones now, either as a goose neck or straight tall ones as shown above.

The green pipes are more photogenic versions of the sewer gas vent shafts that one sees in several places. They are a bit unsightly but I guess they are better that having sewer gas just escaping from grilles on the sidewalk.

sewer.jpg

Attachments

• sewer.jpg
    sewer.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,950
If it's methane or other combustible gas, shouldn't we be collecting it and using it as fuel, like we do with garbage dumps http://www.c40.org/case_studies/trash-to-cash-methane-capture-generates-3-4-million-annually?

That would be neat if we did. This is just one of the ideas I'd like to see put to use in a new neighbourhood like Villiers Island or some other area of the Port Lands:

-capturing sewer methane for energy
-district heating (by connecting with the Port Lands' gas plant and reusing waste heat)
-district cooling (by connecting with the deep lake Enwave system)
-pneumatic garbage collection
-completely car-free neighbourhoods like Toronto Islands
-using the proposed weir along the Keating Channel for hydroelectricity

...all things that could make one neighbourhood a model for sustainability and the 22nd Century. Perhaps an Expo bid is in order to make this happen?

Last edited:
Those are where the creatures of the night slither up and cause mayhem. The work of Satan I tell you....

Obviously I jest, and there's been no shortage of sewer explosions over the years due to methane, but it's still a problem:
Explosive levels of methane in sewers beneath Milwaukee's Third Ward earlier this month prompted an evacuation of a restaurant and an ongoing emergency declaration from the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District, according to newly released documents.

An emergency allows MMSD to sidestep the usual mandatory bidding process and hire a contractor to install a temporary ventilation system in a massive underground chamber at the junction of two regional sewers, according to documents released Tuesday in response to a records request.

The ventilation unit will prevent a recurring explosion hazard, officials said.

1.gif

MMSD Executive Director Kevin Shafer says in an emergency declaration distributed to the district's commission that high levels of explosive gases in the chamber pose "a greatly increased risk of a spark causing an explosion."

The chamber, or vault, beneath the 600 block of E. Erie St. is about the size of a small house. It is located next to a popular recreational trail and public fishing access on the Milwaukee River and is a stone's throw from the Marcus Amphitheater at the Summerfest grounds.

Two construction cones mark a manhole cover above the chamber, just steps from the entrance to Milwaukee Sail Loft Restaurant at the south end of the street. Letters painted on the street identify the location of a "valve chamber."

Fire trucks arrived on the street in front of the restaurant shortly after 8 p.m. Oct. 2 in response to a complaint of methane gas. We Energies earlier in the evening had determined the gas was not from one of their natural gas pipes and suggested the fire department call MMSD.

An MMSD engineer had met with We Energies before 5 p.m. that day. Dangerous levels of explosive gases were not detected at the time and he left the scene, officials said.

When fire department vehicles arrived after 8 p.m., assistant restaurant manager Brandon Balaka walked outside to ask firefighters if his customers and employees were in danger, he said. He was told no.

About 30 minutes or so later, "they must have changed their mind because they came in and suggested we close," Balaka said. "It was done as a precaution."

A few minutes after the evacuation, at 8:48 p.m., a Milwaukee Fire Department incident report indicates explosive levels of methane were detected at street level at the manhole. Police officers blocked off the street and the fire crew requested the department's hazardous materials team.

At 8:58 p.m., an MMSD representative notified fire officials that Veolia Water Milwaukee, the private company under contract to operate district facilities, would send a crew to the scene.

The hazardous materials team confirmed methane levels were at the upper explosive limit of 15% in air by volume at the street above the sewer, and another fire engine was called to the scene. Methane is combustible at concentrations between 5% and 15% in air. [...]
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwau...-third-ward-sewers-b99131423z1-229925281.html

Last edited:

Back