News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I've found that the for-sale-by-owner attracts the extreme ends of the spectrum - the completely competent (who manage the sell their house relatively sweat-free) and completely out to lunch who unfortunately seem to make up most of the listings due to terrible pricing or seller that no one wants to touch with a ten-foot pole.

I think realtors do take too large of a cut but they do provide very valuable services. Not every needs them, but then again not everyone needs a financial advisor, plumber, etc.

I wonder how for-sale-by-owner success differs from market to market? Is being a fsbo easier in a cooler market? How many houses/condos in Toronto sell from your standard weekend open house? Is it a pain for fsbos to arrange multiple showings at all times of day for 1-2 weeks in a market like Toronto's? It'd be interesting to find out.

I met someone from Quebec recently while on holiday. She works for Comfree and says that in Quebec, the majority of people sell that way. If that's true, then I imagine it's only a matter of time before Ontario and the rest of the country catch on. Like Jeff said, realtors do offer an important service, but they are definitely paid too much for it.

I met someone from Quebec recently while on holiday. She works for Comfree and says that in Quebec, the majority of people sell that way. If that's true, then I imagine it's only a matter of time before Ontario and the rest of the country catch on. Like Jeff said, realtors do offer an important service, but they are definitely paid too much for it.

i believe if realtors were to cut their commissions by 1/2 to 1.25-1.50% each side, then the majority of sellers would retain their services and by-pass FSBO.

Sell the home yourself, you are getting phone calls any way to confirm appointments. If you get a offer, tell the Buying Realtor to email you. By saving a few thousand dollars, I think its worth it...I found this website www.flatfeeanthony.com and he does all this service for 500 bucks...there is also best value real estate in Ottawa. The flat fee guy is in Toronto...Sorry realtors I think its the future

I say why not try to sell yourself first and see how you do for a couple of weeks and see how you like it? There's a bunch of for sale by owner websites, but I don't think you can list on mls without an agent of some sort.
You can easily negotiate down to about 3-4% total commission these days, so take your time and interview a bunch of agents.
Good luck!

No doubt real estate commissions are coming down these days. There was just an article about this today on Property Wire:

http://propertywire.ca/news/nationa...es-for-realtors-amid-discount-fee-battle.html

Really great read. I also like HomeKey's idea. Let the realtors bid for your business and assuming a fluid market, the fees will reach an equilibrium point.

I disagree with some of the posters' comments that realtors are useless. I think there are many great realtors, but there are also tons of bad ones. But that's true of most professions. I have worked with both in the past.

Anyway, only you can decide what service best meet your needs!

Bidsbey.com, a new Canadian real estate portal for agent listings and private listings can be combined under one website. All users will have open access to the properties listed on bidsbey.com. This new website is very user friendly and can be easily accessible. This website can be seen as another/ external source of online advertising. Be the first 300 agents to register on bidsbey.com and receive a 1 year trial for free and advertise unlimited.

I dont get people, they think its easy, do you go to a doctor when sick? or you do your own prescriptions? you need dental work you do it yourself? car break you fix?

A Realtor is someone with extensive knowledge that will do all the work for you, you sit back relax no stress. We are needed and same level as doctors, lawyers, accountants etc..

We are the professionals in the busines whether it for investment or personal we do everything, leasing, handle closing, listing, talking, negotiated etc...

Realtors are here to stay, and so will be the commisions, you think doctors/lawyers will work for less than 100k? why should a realtor?

Forget the rest be with the best

We are needed and same level as doctors

No, you're not...a snake oil salesman perhaps.

you think doctors/lawyers will work for less than 100k? why should a realtor?

You think you're equivalent to a doctor?

You should go into stand up comedy.

No, you're not...a snake oil salesman perhaps.

You think you're equivalent to a doctor?

You should go into stand up comedy.

So you think Realtors are what? like a car salesman lol?

What do you have against Realtors? do you now what it takes? have a clue?

Fraud artist? really what fraud have i done, because i sell homes?
and if you have what it takes why arent you doing it? you could be making lota money, unless ofcourse you are a millionare already!
What the hell is snake oil sales? and what it have to do with real estate or Realtors?

Free advertising? how about me giving free advise to people here ever thin of that?

You have something against Realtors?

I have nothing against realtors, but the fees are far, far too high for what they do. Comparing your profession to a doctor is pathetic.

and if you have what it takes why arent you doing it?

I got an education instead....you should try it ;)

you could be making lota money,

I do.

how about me giving free advise to people here ever thin of that?

Such as attempted insurance fraud?
You don't seem to realise that your posts are archived and available for all to see.

I agree with cityplaceguy. I am not a Realtor, but I don't really understand why people are so negative about Realtors. Sure, some are good, some are bad, but I think that's why you have real estate agent reviews sites. Sure, they make a lot of money per transaction, but so what? You are not forced to use them, so it's your own choice. I just think there are good realtors and there are bad realtors. Unfortunately, the bad ones are spoiling the reputation of all Realtors.

Back