9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

androiduk

Member Bio
Reaction score
According to an employee, the Arcadian Court will close on April 1 for renovations. I went down and took some pics for posterity.

arcadian1.jpg

arcadian2.jpg

arcadian3.jpg

This is the balcony area. Largely unused I think, except for special events.

arcadian4.jpg

arcadian5.jpg

One of my favourite staircases in the city. I hope they leave this alone.

arcadian6.jpg

I saw this picture hanging on a wall in one of the offices. I'm assuming it's the original Arcadian Court.

arcadianbw.jpg

It will be interesting to see what they do with it. I remember going for lunch there as a little girl when my mother would bring me into the city. It was a very special treat, and I had to be on my best behaviour!

Nice pics! I remember that place. I had my high school graduation there... *sigh*

Guess I'll have to visit again if and when O&B installs a restaurant there.

When I was a kid my grandmother would drag me around and do weekend shopping around here (pre-Eaton Centre) and I have vague memories of going here on a few occasions. She had some important connection to this restaurant but I can't remember what it was. I know she worked in the basement of Simpson's during the war but that's not the connection. Anyway the place looks good, I just don't like the tiles on the floor. I must get up there before it closes in April, it may stir up some memories.

About three years ago I worked across the street. For some reason we went here for a "team lunch" twice.
The food was fine, but the atmosphere was uncomfortable. It felt like everyone there, even the staff, knew it had fallen far from it's glory days and was being left to slowly fade away, but everyone had agreed to pretend nothing had changed.
Honestly it was the same feeling I got walking around Eaton's in it's later days. Almost empty stores with the bored staff doing their best to busy themselves. I'm surprised I remember that as I must have been pretty young, but it's a rare sensation.
Anyway, the office moved and our lunches were instead held at the Clipper Café after that. Probably just as old, but nowhere near as much glamorous history.

Not sure where to put this comment but I was an NPS last night and noticed that the lighting at the top of the Simpsons Tower is working again. It is white and not terribly interesting but certainly better than the nothing that was there for several years. Not sure how long the lighting feature has been working for.

Back