News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I asked the office of Anne Stevenson if higher tax rates for derelict properties can be applied to the Arlington site:

As far as I am aware, the Derelict Property subclass would not be applied to those sites. The Derelict Property subclass is only applied to residential zoned land, so the BMO site would be excluded, and specifically plots with a structure that has become derelict. It does not apply to vacant lots that have been fully demolished like the Arlington.

Last edited:
Walking past last night. Weeds were up to about 5 feet in some areas of this site. Where’s bylaw enforcement?
IMG_2883.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't get me started about this site and the COE's lack of care/attention and the owner's complete disregard.

Walking past last night. Weeds were up to about 5 feet in some areas of this site. Where’s bylaw enforcement?
View attachment 577858
<sarcasm alert> Bylaw is way too busy giving out parking tickets downtown and tickets to private residential properties that aren't 100% weed free to be concerned with this trivial issue.

<sarcasm alert> Bylaw is way too busy giving out parking tickets downtown and tickets to private residential properties that aren't 100% weed free to be concerned with this trivial issue.
I have a friend who owns a building in the 104 street area. He is a business owner and put up a large sign for his business on the side of his building and bylaw came by and had him take it down cause it was too big. All he could do is shake his head in disbelief at the priorities of bylaw/the city given everything else that should be much higher on the priority list.

^Guaranteed that sign got a bylaw complaint that they followed up on. It wasn't random enforcement. You need a development permit for all signage.

^Guaranteed that sign got a bylaw complaint that they followed up on. It wasn't random enforcement. You need a development permit for all signage.
You just proved my point exactly......

In my experience as a resident of downtown who has called 311 on many different issues that bylaw seems to be preoccupied enforcing more innocuous issues than addressing repeated and known problem properties like Arlington

How many more times do we as downtown citizens have to call 311 about a known problem property that has sat in the shape it has sat in for the last almost two decades?

Every time I feel a little bit of hope that our core may be improving I just walk/drive by this site, the Teglar/BMO site, the site of the proposed Emerald tower, anywhere in the Quarters, (etc., etc.), and all that hope disappears. The fact that this site has been in this shape for more than two decades is a sad indictment of the complete ineffectiveness of our laws/bylaws as well as the leadership in this city.

Naturalization, for those that like spin, corporate speak or bureaucratese, it sounds so much better than the word neglect.

Back