40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Seriously? This is better then Duke's Cycle? Is it because it's red brick, or is there a certain quota of banality this meets the other didn't?

Banality? This building suffers from none of that. It's richly coloured, detailed, warm, inviting, and by and large the neighbourhood is very happy with it. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

It is a nice building, but you need to remember that it is a corner lot and for the love of DOG they better make an effort!
When does the Starbucks open?

The best feature of this design in my opinion is the rounded window over the main door. Somehow that one element by itself lends an elegance to the building and the streetscape.

As a long-time Junction resident who lives near this building and walks or bikes past it almost every day, I am delighted with how it turned out. When the long-vacant Handyman Shop was torn down, many of us in the neighbourhood were concerned about the fate of our Junction streetscape. Our worries have been allayed. It's a thoughtfully designed building that is attractive and, most importantly, suits the streetscape.

A rare instance where the new outshines the old. This is the future of our Avenues. Kudos to all involved.

I love the third floor balcony. Why couldn't we have this in Cabbagetown instead of our banal Starbucks and TD buildings? The TD building has lots of red brick, and while it is nicer than the new Starbucks building which is truly awful, it's dull. This building in the junction has character. Very nice!

So it meets the red brick quota, got it.

Materials are crucial in architecture. Precast on Duke's was in fact the most glaring issue. Precast has a fake look to it that's quite obvious. There's more to this building than just the materials though. There some decent details like the curved bay window and the cornice. The big balcony is also unusual and the building does stand out among recent small scale infill along Victorian arterials.

I prefer modern design but clearly a lot of thought was put into the details on this building. The rendering of Duke's shows some windows surrounded by some extremely generic panels of precast. It seems like no thought was put into the design at all.

Back