39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Wish there was a bit more colour in these towers. The use of black definitely would have worked here.

Interesting towers though.

the design seems way too contrived, but most importantly I dont think it fits the character of this neighbourhood, being situated roughly between St Lawrence Mkt and the Distillery. I'd like to see something more restrained that uses brick as the main material.

My initial thoughts are very positive. Will be interesting to see what the final product looks like, but these are very interesting initial plans.

I understand that in the St. Lawrence Market and Distillery areas, there will be a bias towards brick and a "heritage feel". However, as modern and creative this design is, I also get a sense that it's intentially and thoughtfully subdued. It also gives way to the open air.

I think a mix of the old and new in this neighbourhood will work and perhaps, arguably, is necessary.

The trend of using colour is overdone, tacky, and outdated, this is a nice, clean design.

Much needed revitalization, creating a solid identity for the corktown district which seems so lost between the st lawrence market and the distillery...but to be honest, with the failure of the distillery, it's wrong to put it into context as a "district" in the city. It really isn't. It's more of a place to go when you're feeling touristy.

How can something rise contrived to a district whose identity is nonexistent?

The trend of using colour is overdone, tacky, and outdated, this is a nice, clean design.

How so? If colour comes from the use of bricks, let it be so. At the moment, the tower portion works beautifully, but the podium seems quite bland.

Ok so you're going to tell Peter Clewes to ditch the limestone precast and go with brick? If you substitute limestone precast for brick, it changes everything, and the entire project needs to be re-designed. Brick with the proposed windows and balconies in the podium will look very messy.

Your idea of "bland" is someone's idea of clean and contemporary.

Why is everyone posting on UT a well-renown architect???!!

I'm giving out brick as an example.

Changing whatever material is on the base for something else does not change everything- at the moment, the podium does not fit into the neighbourhood, seeing that most buildings around it are built out of brick. I also have no idea why brick would make the facade messy considering that Market Wharf works well with windows. Having a more striking colour at the base would create an interesting contrast against the whiteness of the towers.

And one more thing- your idea of "clean and contemporary" can easily someone else's idea of bland. So there's really no right or wrong in this.

Very interesting, there's a lot of density, but also texture, originality. You could actually put some insulation in the walls, and work with the climate more than is usual in the Toronto condo world.

Stopped for a coffee in the Distillery District the other day and while it is imperfect, it's also kind of cool and I was happy to walk about the old buildings for a while. In less than 5 years there will be a huge expansion in the Distillery District's local population and it will be much busier than it is now. Enjoy it now I say.

I agree with Redroom. This building is completely out of context in terms of height and aesthetics. The design looks gimmicky to me, which the developers will probably try to pass off as "architectural excellence" that justifies building a 34 storey glass tower in an area filled with 4-10 storey brick buildings.

Anyone who claims that this neighbourhood has no identity obviously hasn't spent enough time here. The post-60s buildings in the area bounded by Church, Queen, Parliament, and the rail lines have been remarkably consistent (mid-rise, brown brick), and typically designed to respect the more historic architecture in the area.

I'm giving out brick as an example.

Changing whatever material is on the base for something else does not change everything- at the moment, the podium does not fit into the neighbourhood, seeing that most buildings around it are built out of brick. I also have no idea why brick would make the facade messy considering that Market Wharf works well with windows. Having a more striking colour at the base would create an interesting contrast against the whiteness of the towers.

And one more thing- your idea of "clean and contemporary" can easily someone else's idea of bland. So there's really no right or wrong in this.

I agree to disagree.

Back