News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I like the building but somehow it looks more like an office building, atleast on the main street frontage...

Conrad, I find that the majority of their buildings in the area have been disappointing. Almost cheap looking. I really like Trinity though.

Yeah, they look good on paper, but the finished product looks very Home Depot. And I don't think their construction is so great, either. This is based on construction photos (mismeasured I-beams) and complaints from some residents (paper thin walls) and first-hand observations of their projects around Corktown.

If they build it as shown in the rendering, it'll be a great building architecturally. We need all our buildings to have some character and memorable features, even if they're not landmarks. This site is unique and the architecture responds and embraces it, giving it character.

Too often in Toronto I've seen projects that fail to take advantage of unusual sites, like The Glenlake, which comes to mind since I pass it by regularly. Rather than following the curve in Dundas, it's just a generic block with some cheap landscaping and driveway filling in the space where the facade should have been following the curve in the street. There are other examples where a site seems to beg for a flatiron-type building, but the building ends up being a rectangular slab with some grass and trees in front where the "point" should have been.

I am a fan of oval buildings - would like to see a few more of these scattered throughout the city - bit of dutch influences here?

p5

Back