News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

the designers should take advantage of the surrounding landscape and incorporate it into the design somehow... this building has as much appeal as the other rectangular buildings in the area

Beautiful design; meets the street well, has retail, blends in with the older apartment blocks, and I like the massing. I don't understand why the members on this forum bash EVERYTHING that gets proposed?

You think THIS would get built across from Central Park??? Not a chance.

Central Park has PLENTY of trash/mediocre architecture around it, and I find New York's architecture in general to be outdated. Apparently, developers agree, because even NY's newest proposals don't follow the trends set by older buildings. :rolleyes:

those old houses match the surrounding areas more than this proposed project
this proposed condo looks like the public apartment, doesn't reflect the nature of high park
instead of condos, it's better to have town houses instead.

Just a side note about the old houses which have been boarded up. A few years ago, I met a couple who used to live in one of the houses. As far as they could tell me, everyone was suddenly evicted - as the houses were not for sale and there was I believe one owner/or partner owners, they were all forced out. The places were perfectly fine and people had been living in the houses for years.

One woman decided to stay behind and refused to leave as she had nowhere else to go - she offered to pay more rent, but was told to get out asap. When this didn't happen, thugs supposedly ransacked her house - now I cannot confirm this, but the couple, who now live across from these houses on another street, mentioned that she was essentially forced out. Ultimately, their (developer/owner) intention was to sit on empty houses, board them up and call them abandoned. As things didn't get repaired stuff fell apart and well, we know the rest..This is most likely a shady deal, but wtf, why should I care..at least we are getting a new building right Ahmad!!!

Sadly, this process is very well established in Toronto so, I never expected more!

Beautiful design; meets the street well, has retail, blends in with the older apartment blocks, and I like the massing. I don't understand why the members on this forum bash EVERYTHING that gets proposed?

Central Park has PLENTY of trash/mediocre architecture around it, and I find New York's architecture in general to be outdated. Apparently, developers agree, because even NY's newest proposals don't follow the trends set by older buildings. :rolleyes:

This building's scale is not urban enough for Central park which has a near continuous street wall all the way along its West, South and East edges. The D+S massing is less-than-urban and will likely lead to something more akin to St. Clair in Forest Hill than Central Park West. If crappy uninspired architecture is going to be built adjacent to Central Park these days (a la Trump International) it's going to be at least 50 storeys.

You may get a lot of throwaway trash in New York, but interesting projects have been built by Herzog & DeMeuron, Morphosis, Jean Nouvel, Frank Gehry, Saana, Foster & Partners, Yoshio Tanaguchi, Tschumi, Jun Aoki, John Pawson ... just to name a few these past several years. To say the city's architecture is "generally outdated" is a bit of a stretch...however, if you consider D+S's work to be cutting edge contemporary, I am not really sure we'd ever see eye to eye on this topic.

I think it looks pretty good...and this would be the beginning of the Central Park-ization of High Park (highrises surrounding its perimeter)..:)

I remember seeing a park in Boston that was done in this way... not as big a park, and the buildings weren't as tall. I thought it was awesome.

The building meshes with the local white slab aesthetic of the 60s apartments to the north, white updating it.

It also matches the building on the North-West corner of the park (the one with the Starbucks and doggie store). I like some aspects of the building, but it has a terrible interface to Bloor.

And it does have commercial units facing Bloor according to the story above, (there appear to be umbrellas in the courtyard maybe for an eatery of some sort?)

I certainly hope it has full retail on the main floor... nearly all the other buildings on Bloor do. Its hard to discern that from the renderings.

Just a side note about the old houses which have been boarded up. A few years ago, I met a couple who used to live in one of the houses. As far as they could tell me, everyone was suddenly evicted - as the houses were not for sale and there was I believe one owner/or partner owners, they were all forced out. The places were perfectly fine and people had been living in the houses for years.

One woman decided to stay behind and refused to leave as she had nowhere else to go - she offered to pay more rent, but was told to get out asap. When this didn't happen, thugs supposedly ransacked her house - now I cannot confirm this, but the couple, who now live across from these houses on another street, mentioned that she was essentially forced out. Ultimately, their (developer/owner) intention was to sit on empty houses, board them up and call them abandoned. As things didn't get repaired stuff fell apart and well, we know the rest..This is most likely a shady deal, but wtf, why should I care..at least we are getting a new building right Ahmad!!!

Sadly, this process is very well established in Toronto so, I never expected more!

Is this truth or not?
Those house from the pictures look fine to me. Can't believe all houses would be all abandoned as they are not old or have
serious construction problems. if the developer forced the owners to move out, how come there's no news reporting to these?
Also, shouldn't the house owners own the properties? This is something I'm wondering...

Other than that, this rending i don't feel match the surrounding. yes this would match the apartments behind the street but won't match the nature and style of High Park. Do they get certain approvals of the city before they do this rending?

i would say SCENIC another high-rise condo, the style curve shaped condo fits better there.
or, this area should have townhouses instead.

seems this condo would have green roof top if you look at one of the rending.
the city should preserve those old houses instead of having a developer to build a condo on the site.
anyone know why these houses would be abandoned?

The houses were bought up over the years, I think by the company that sold this to Daniels. Nobody abandoned these homes without having sold them first. Think about it.

Back