News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I dont really care about the final height of this building including the spire...i have always been a firm believer that spires shouldnt be included in the final height of any building.:mad:

For me, it's the equivalent of wearing a helmet with a spike on top and insisting that it should be regarded as your listed height.

It's not, and it's cheating.

And I doubt that most people will take it seriously.

Wow.. I would have thought they'd have added extra height, not taken it away.
In that diagram, it looks like even Commerce Court's roof is higher than Trump's.

They really need to change the classification. It's either the roof level, or the highest point humans have reached on the building, which includes antennas, spires and flagpoles.

Generally, I never like to see a building get ranked higher than another simply because of a spire!! Personally, I think that the only exceptions I have ever made have been for Chrysler Building, and perhaps Empire State (antenna) where those features seem to be a very integral part of the entire design of the building. Although we haven't yet seen what the final look of the onion dome and spire are going to look in this case, I've had a hard time imaging it to be significantly integrated into the whole design of the building to justify that it be included as part of the buildings height.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=50562791
And since we're comparing ScotiaPlaza, Trump and Commerce Court, and the difference between spires and antennas, everytime I've been to skyscraperpage recently, it's always ranked both Trump and Commerce higher than Scotia! :mad:

Last edited:
Agreed on the spire thing... in theory, the CN tower is just a very large spire on top of a several-story building. If I build a 3-story building and mount a 600m mast on top of it, what counts?

CN Tower and similar structures actually fall into a completely different category... "Tallest free standing structures" where its is the absolute height that is measured. Towers of that sort are not ranked along side "occupied buildings" such as office towers, hotels and condos.

It is a bogus claim. It will not be even nearly the second tallest building in Toronto.

No buyer in their right mind will boast of that their building is second highest when all their guests can see that it is not so. Only purist geeks will argue that the spire makes this taller then the others.

As seen from the above posts, there is no debate. Trump will never be viewed as the second tallest building in Toronto by anyone who looks at the CBD.

Back