News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The interior takes some cues from 1950's road stops, I like it

They do look good, but I am going to miss the flying saucer-esque service centres on the 401..

The interior takes some cues from 1950's road stops, I like it

I agree, it takes things back to the era when highways were kings and queens.

---

Things definitely were going down hill, this change is welcome.

I like the branding -the name Onroute and accompanying web site and highway signage. The building themselves are okay but small. While fresh, clean and modern, they really offer nothing more than what was there before just a new package. Some of the old stations had little redeeming architectural value but the stations that had the George Jettson-esque design should have been preserved. We'll regret destroying them all.

I don't care what they look like i just hope they keep them clean! some of the older rest stops i have visited were disgusting!:mad:

As a frequent driver to Montreal/Ottawa and having used the old centres, my observations are:
- the eatings areas are too small. What's the point in having parking for at least 100 vehicles but chairs for only half that?
- there used to be outside picnic tables, grass and in some cases parking for snowmobiles, will these be included in the new design?

1st stop on the gravy train!

I actually really like it.

Yeah, we could stop the gravy train and cut back on highway expansion in favour of more efficient public transit systems in cities.

But that has nothing to do with this attractive service centre, which satisfies a basic need in terms of longer distance travel between cities on existing highways.

I like the look of the service centres but I don't like the "deal" behind them.:mad:

The references to "gravy train" are not too far off the mark although this would best be described as another Liberal Party boondoggle.

Here is the story: http://www.thestar.com/business/art...s-to-finance-hwy-401-service-centre-makeovers

This was another McGuinty back-room secret no bid "deal" to award a monopoly to run highway 400 service centres to a company half American owned. The kicker? We the taxpayers are providing the financing! The taxpayer will put up the $200 Million in financing and in exchange this private company will reap the profits which will be in the $Billions over the next 20 years.:mad:

I don't care what they look like i just hope they keep them clean! some of the older rest stops i have visited were disgusting!:mad:

Yeah, I gave up stopping at these places a long time ago. When I drive east, I always stop at the Big Apple. The pie is so-so, but the washrooms are plentiful and CLEAN.

a couple weekends ago I made a trip to Brockville along the 401. I found it a bit frustrating that all of the service areas had been closed / torn down at the same time and only one new one was open in each direction along that whole length. I think there would have been a much greater convenience factor if they were torn down a couple at a time, rebuild and move on to the next location. Luckily I was able to find a park and ride surrounded by a dense grove of pine trees at one of the off ramps in order to empty my bladder! The 2 completed new designs I saw looked good and I did think the onroute branding and signage looked fresh and modern.

And I'll second the comment about keeping them clean! I think this one more thing that US states do better than we do... you can count on toilets being clean at rest stops and state parks etc, whereas here it can be hit and miss.

I remember hearing from a classmate in architecture school that he knew the designer of those saucers, which I am sad to hear are all destroyed. Though the design had been obviously altered he told me the design started life as an idea for a synagogue. Certainly they were less generic looking than these new service stations look in the photos.

Back