News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Great design..

One thing I noticed in one of the pictures is the buses look like Montreal Metro.. Is that what YRT looks like?

big mistake...where is the high density built over the top of this station? Is everyone going to drive to this station, or be fed to it by bus rather than walk? Why spend so much on fancy architecture of such a low density station when the system is starved for funds and incorporating a larger building on the site would yield more traffic and development fee/taxes? This station looks bigger than Yonge/Bloor, but will probably have 5% of the traffic.

Last edited:
^^
I agree.... nice design, but this is very grand.

I'm confused as to why they build these big stations for this extension.

I agree. I think everyone here can appreciate the importance of good design. But conceptually all these new stations being built should be incorporated into high density commercial / residential development nodes.

Love the Design. It's big because more TTC employee's get to sleep there. (sorry, bad joke!)

@The_Architect for Viva BRT services YRT uses Van Hool and Nova buses. I believe that Montreal also has some buses from Van Hool. For standard routes they use mostly New Flyer buses.

@Everyone else this station is going to be designed as a commuter station, where people will drive to or take 407 GO bus services from Brampton, Markham, and beyond (YRT/Viva buses will terminate at Vaughan Center). Including downtown, people will also probably take the train to York University or Vaughan Center to avoid driving and parking in these centers.

That said, this is a gorgeous station!

Very beautiful station. I just can't get over the name. There is nothing about "Highway 407 Station" that says sustainable, higher-order rapid transit.

I am curious as to how the light reflection of the art on the skylight wil turn out on the inside, nice personal touch to the whole project. They should have included a 2nd level parking to reduce land use and make some space for future density.

This must be Toronto's answer to the Mirabel Airport. Oh well, it'll be nice for the local geese and ducks if they ever evolve into transit users.

Oh, and how is all of this going to get cleaned... just look at the Escalators at Lightwell picture.

Love the Design. It's big because more TTC employee's get to sleep there. (sorry, bad joke!)

Actually, I was wondering if the YRT section will be a paid YRT area requiring a YRT employee gathering YRT fares as they enter that section, or will it be an open area and the bus drivers will have to gether their own fares?

It's impressive, like all of the other stations on the extension, but the final concept demonstrates that politicians and designers really drove this project.

New subway stations are going to be larger than their 1950s and 1960s predecessors due to changes to the building code. We should also expect a pleasant design, rather than the bare basics that were often, but not always, constructed in the past.

This station is over-designed though. I understand that the YRT and GO Transit believe that eighteen bus bays will be required, but the boomerang-shaped platform appears to be less efficient than an island-shaped platform. A large platform is required regardless but, looking at the diagram, many bus routes will travel longer distances to and from "the gate" than if an island had been chosen. This will waste time and waste gasoline.

I agree with previous comments that, for all of the talk about intensifying development around existing stations and building it into new stations, Highway 407 is a missed opportunity. Will the area ever be urban like downtown Toronto? Probably not, but this design will hinder rather than help the area along that path. Station entrances really shouldn't be so far away from the street. Even if there isn't anyone to walk up to the front door from the sidewalk at present, it doesn't mean that there won't be in the future.

The boomerang shape isn't all that friendly to commuters either. The "wings" help to push some of the parking out further than it would have been otherwise, which increases walking time to the main entrance. Unfortunately, deep stations come with tunnel boring, but we shouldn't be compounding the vertical commute time with long walks from parking lots and with potentially long walks across bus platforms. Never mind that, for such a large facility, there is only one public washroom!

Back